"There are always...possibilities" Spock quote?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by 22 Stars, Sep 7, 2008.

1. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Hey guys, I've wondered this for a while but haven't thought to ask until now. In ST II Kirk attrributes the phrase 'There are always possibilities' as something Spock is fond of saying, but when DOES his say this in past Trek episodes? I think in Galileo he tells Scotty there are always alternatives but that's the closest I can remember.

2. egonbeeblebrox

egonbeeblebrox Commander Red Shirt

That's the closest I could find, too.

3. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    I always thought of it not as an exact quote from TOS, but as an axiom Spock had repeated over his long association with Kirk. But if anyone actually finds the quote, you're even nerdier than the rest of us! :guffaw:-- RR

4. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

Kirk's exact quote is:

The closest I could come to was from the episode "Galileo Seven" in which Spock said:

"There are always alternatives."

5. 22 Stars

^Earlier in the movie doesn't Kirk quote Spock with this Saavik?

6. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

He does. In the Genesis cave,

Kirk (to Saavik): As your teacher, Mr. Spock, is fond of saying, 'I like to think there always are ...possibilities.'

8. KeepOnTrekking

KeepOnTrekking Commodore Commodore

Yeah, the quote from "Galileo Seven" is the most obvious example. I believe it was in reference to an alternative fuel source. Spock is always pointing out an alternative to their dilemma in other episodes, too. In "Where No Man Has Gone Before," Spock urges Kirk to strand Mitchell on Delta Vega. He points out that his only alternative is to kill Mitchell while he still can. The same in "City on the Edge of Forever." McCoy changes time and the landing party is faced with spending what remains of their lives on the Guardian's planet. Spock points out that it's that or go back into time to stop McCoy from changing the future..."There is no alternative." But in each case there was at least one alternative to choose from.

9. 22 Stars

Ya, that's the one that I was thinking. I just think it's so weird that the writers of ST II would 'invent' a saying. It rings true to the Spock character, but it's interesting that it doesn't really come from anywhere specific.

I remember reading Harve Bennett talk about screening all the old Trek episodes to find one to use as a springboard for II and assumed he picked up this quote somewhere along the way.

10. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

Well, perhaps in the same manner that Abrams, Orci and Kurtzman are putting their own interpretation on TOS, perhaps after viewing all those eps, Bennett and Jack Sowards derived that same type of feeling about Spock's character, and 'reinvented' the line, as it were.

It could also be a phrase he began using after the events of TMP. If you think about it, it makes sense, as his experience with V'GER would have opened his mind up to even more possibilities than he might've imagined.

11. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

It was pillow talk and therefore not shown on screen.

;)

12. 22 Stars

{{shudder}} lol thanks for 'that'. Now the thread is going to get sent to Misc! :)

13. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know what the controversy is about this. I don't always quote my friends verbatim. I usually just paraphrase.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Valeris used a recording device on Kirk in ST VI and still managed to misquote him when Chang played it back at the trial.

15. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Sowards would have been long gone by the point that they were reworking the ending, and the Genesis cave scene was largely reshot, so that line to Saavik is probably added to make the added Kirk voiceover possibilities have some tie-in resonance.

16. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

It was "There are always ... alternatives."

He said it in "The Man Trap," to Uhura, when she was on her period.

Joe, noted Trek historian

17. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, yes, the great tampon versus pad debate that almost had the NBC censors shit their pants until they realized it was a great opportunity for product placement. Yet, that bit of dialog was edited out in the 80s syndication version and has been lost.

18. maryh

maryh Commander Red Shirt

I had the same problem with the quote I attributed to Spock "A difference that makes no difference is no difference". On another thread I was told it only appeared in some Trek novel. However, when you google it there are numerous references to this quote Spock, yet nobody references the episode where Spock actually says this quote.

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

It is from SPOCK MUST DIE! It is so old that people think it must be from aired trek, but it is not.

20. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

My first Trek novel. And I ended up being disappointed by it.