Theory about Discovery's unusual design

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Orbing Master, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Orbing Master

Orbing Master Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Having just watched "Context Is For Kings" earlier today, and finally seeing the Discovery for the first time, I've developed a theory about why the design of the saucer (reminiscent of the Vengeance in the ST:ID) is so unusual for a TOS-era Prime Timeline design;

Saru mentions about the ship, a Crossfield-class starship according to Memory Alpha, can run a multitude of scientific mission objectives at the same time, 300 or so. So, the ship design clearly has a scientific lean, perhaps akin to a laboratory in space. When her sister ship, the Glenn, is introduced, it shows that this class isn't unique to the Discovery (or presumably a namesake USS Crossfield) and is referred to as being brand new.

What if the negative-space saucer hull design is a safety measure? The bridge is in the center module. What is the outer rings of the saucer have jettisonable laboratory sections? Similar to a standard 'saucer sep' situation, especially given how dangerous the experimental 'organic propulsion' system is.

Also, given the fact the design is considerably smaller then most ships (barring the NX-class), it would seem it's designed to have a minimal crew compliment at risk from the experiments.

Feron, Gonzo and saddestmoon like this.
  2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It should be noted that nobody from Starfleet considers the design unusual, or even as much as states that she hasn't served on one of these before. Only the civilian "trash" ever comments on this particular shuttlebay having a shiny floor - and the guy got a good look at the overall design from the big windows of the shuttle during the generous flyaround, never commenting on that.

At this stage, the Crossfield class could just as well be considered a relic older than the Shenzhou, making it all the more noteworthy that this one has a shiny floor. Which of course would be because of the special attention given to the ship's innards, with extra security, secret compartments, the works.

In short, I'm not sure if the multipart saucer should be considered amazing in-universe, when we have failed to see amazement so far. But keeping parts of it isolated from others is certainly valid reasoning for the looks.

Timo Saloniemi

3. Orbing Master

Orbing Master Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You present a valid point, in regards to the idea that the class is new. To us viewers, both Walker-class and Crossfield-class are completely new. It could very well be that the ship has just undergone a complete overhaul before launching on it's new mission.
    As for the idea on the overal design, I will counter it thusly;
    No one may have noted about the design, but compare it to that other Starfleet designs seen so far. The Shenzhou, Europa and the various vessels seen during the Battle at the Binary Stars all had a 'traditional' design of a filled saucer.
    In a way, them not saying anything is like no-one raising a point about Voyager or the Enterprise-E having more oval saucers, or the Oberth-class having a saucer disconnected from the secondary hull and lacking the usual 'neck' design. Just because no-one has said anything doesn't mean that in-story, they may not be thinking it.

4. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I will be watching the 3rd episode shortly, hope to get a good indication of size from it, from what I have seen so far it looks as big as a the TOS Constitution class but it could be bigger.

From what I saw of the pictures released I think the middle ring could actually be jettisoned in its entirety, if you look at the picture of the ship from below only the outer ring and central orb are connected directly to the engineering section.

That could have been changed since though, need to see episode first.

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

From certain angles--Discovery almost looks Cardassian

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

With a saucer that reminded me of a Stargate. Like the Voyager's moveable nacelles, I wonder if they will have a good reason for it.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since it only spins when they use the spore drive, I'd guess it's somehow necessary to that.

8. Which indicates that the ship is build around the spore drive itself..

9. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's referred to in the 3rd or 4th episode as the "excess energy cavitation" system. Taking the words literally, the spinning sections of the saucer disruptively churn up whatever spore energy they can't use. Straight-up techno gibberish, though I am sure someone here will extrapolate a perfectly Star Trekky explanation in reply to fill in a gap the writers of the show couldn't be arsed to.

Gonzo and Feron like this.
  10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The ship probably isn't built solely for the needs of the S-drive, even if the spinners are vital there.

We see that using the drive makes the ship physically move down rather than forward, at least in 100% of the jumps so far; is that because the axis of the spinners is oriented that way? Would an operational ship have the spinners mounted like Vulcan warp rings instead?

On the other hand, we still don't know what a ship needs in order to go to S-drive. The tardigrade needs nothing at all, besides those spores; perhaps a starship doesn't, either, once the tech is properly understood? Perhaps saucer spinners will go away at that point, as no energy counts as "excess" any longer?

We never learned the role of that shower stall where they put the tardigrade in. I mean, it's great for putting the tardrigrade or its bipedal stand-in in, but the Discovery had the chamber before they knew about that need. Presumably people could "speak" with spores from the get-go, like Lorca demonstrated to Burnham early on. Perhaps that had been the original idea - to just tell the spores where to go, mentally or by gestures or whatever - and when the spores failed to listen, Stamets abandoned the shower stall and started playing with computers instead?

What else do they really need? A warp core or other power source?

Timo Saloniemi

11. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Clean spores is happy spores.

12. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

See then, I missed that piece of dialogue, 'cause I was still wondering. So, big vents wouldn't have done? Maybe a HEPA filter?

ETA: I watched 1x05 today. The spinning goes on before the ship jumps as well.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  13. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Starfleet is intending to build more units to install into other ships. So it would seem that other starships could be refit with the Spore Drive and likely the spinning hull sections. It would need to be a relatively easy changes since they kind of want those ships doing their thing against the Klingons.

They lack navigation though.