The X Files : Season Four

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DATA476, Sep 2, 2008.

1. DATA476

DATA476 Ensign Red Shirt

Season: Four
    Air Dates: 4th October, 1996 - 18th May, 1997
    Episodes: Seventy Four through Ninety Seven

The X Files | Season Four
    Just to remind you, below is the list of episodes from the fourth season...

(8.8) 74. Herrenvolk (Part 2)
    (8.7) 75. Home
    (7.1) 76. Teliko
    (8.4) 77. Unruhe
    (7.3) 78. The Field Where I Died
    (7.4) 79. Sanguinarium
    (8.8) 80. Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man
    (8.8) 81. Tunguska (Part 1)
    (8.8) 82. Terma (Part 2)
    (8.9) 83. Paper Hearts
    (7.1) 84. El Mundo Gira
    (8.7) 85. Leonard Betts
    (8.2) 86. Never Again
    (9.0) 87. Memento Mori
    (7.7) 88. Kaddish
    (7.8) 89. Unrequited
    (8.6) 90. Tempus Fugit (Part 1)
    (8.6) 91. Max (Part 2)
    (7.8) 92. Synchrony
    (9.0) 93. Small Potatoes
    (8.5) 94. Zero Sum
    (8.3) 95. Elegy
    (8.5) 96. Demons
    (9.0) 97. Gethsemane (Part 1)

My View: One thing I missed in Season Four was consistently interesting mythology plots. Other than the super soldiers, the 'black oil' section of the mytharc is by far the weakest. I really enjoyed the 'abduction' and the later 'colonization' sections. There are still some great mythology arc episodes to enjoy in this season but overall I felt the quality decreased.

The monster of the week episodes are not lacking in typical X Files creativity, wit, and energy, however, delivering on both the horror/suspense and humor angles with series-defining classics like "Home" and "Small Potatoes". If I'm going to be very honest, I'd say the third season was probably a little supperior to the fourth... however I think this is still great television which I'm sure will stand the test of time.

What are your views on Season Four of The X Files?

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The fourth season doesn't deliver the wit and brilliance of Darren Morgan (except in an acting turn in the excellent Small Potatoes written by Vince Gilligan), but it delivers everything else. Brilliant character moments in The Field Where I Died and the cancer trilogy of Leonard Betts/Never Again/Memento Mori. Great mythology episodes, both with the main thread of the mythology with Herrenvolk, Tunguska, Terma, and Gethsemane and wonderful mythology side-bits with the tangental episodes for cancer man (Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man), Max Fenig (Tempus Fugit and Max), Fox/Samantha Mulder (Paper Hearts and Demons), and Skinner (Zero Sum). Add to that the sheer dark horror of Home and you have a pretty well-rounded season.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Small Potatoes: another great one! :bolian:

4. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

Home *shudders*

Instead of 'throw momma from the train' it's 'wheel momma from out under the bed'

:eek:

:lol: