The Unmade Third Doctor Who Movie Revealed

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Jul 5, 2022.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At the BFI event for the restorations of the 1960's Doctor Who movies the existence of third movie's script from the late 1970's was revealed and now you can read all about it.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/the-outlandish-doctor-who-movie-that-never-was/ar-AAZcqkD

For someone who grew up in the 1980's reading his novels the fact that it was an adaptation of Guy N Smith's 'Night of the Crabs' blows my mind.

For those of you don't know who he was Smith was a bargain-basement James Herbert churning out slim horror novels that made up in sex and violence what they lacked in literary merit. (Perfect reading when you were just hitting your teenage years.)

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

OMG Doctor Who and Guy N Smith, two things I never expected to intersect!

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I saw a tweet about this earlier but the link was behind a paywall, which, happily, yours isn’t. I’m always fascinated by film projects or casting that never took place and while this may well have been a disaster, I’m sure it would have been an interesting one.

I believe that the (brilliant) artwork was done especially for the Telegraph story. Not sure that Christopher Lee would’ve appeared in the film though, given that he turned down Big Finish on the basis that he finds DW silly! (Maybe a chance to appear alongside his good friend Peter Cushing might’ve changed his mind)

4. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Gods it sounds absolutely hideous and think the BBC would have had shitfit especially at time when it was still seen as a "children's" show. Blood, gore and killer crabs. yeah not gonna happen.

5. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Folk being suffocated by plastic spray from killer daffodils, just fine.

6. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

yeah - no blood n gore

7. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was before thev1971 enquiry led to Who being toned down. But then seasons 13 and 14...

8. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Imagine if they'd ever done the Third Doctor novel Rags on TV?

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I thought the third movie was to have Vincent Price as the Scratchman.

10. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought a third film was intended in the 60s still featuring Peter Cushing (if "Dalek Invasion Earth" had done better) and would have featured elements of "The Chase" showcasing the Mechonoids. One of the artists, Andrew Norton, who was involved with Who3D created a movie trailer in the style of the era giving us an idea how it might have looked.