The Trek IMAX film should've been educational...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by WalkinMan, Sep 2, 2007.

1. WalkinMan

WalkinMan Commodore Commodore

...it would have fit perfectly at all those science centers around the world with IMAX theatres, not to mention bolster Trek's science/education-friendly credentials. After all, numerous college textbooks and professors referenced the Trek saga at one time or another, in books and in my personal experience...

Plus in a 30-40 minute format one could teach basic astronomy or something.

I suppose in the modern era, with films converted to IMAX the ST IMAX film could have been 2 hours long, but it could also have been a shorter 30-40 minute affair, maybe in 3-D, with Mr. O'Brien talking about/flying around cosmic phenomena in the Defiant, or as a visiting engineer on the Enterprise. It could have been 'a guide to the universe as we know it'...

What do you guys and gals think?

2. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"So, how does the warp drive work?"

"Uh, okay. The transporters?"

"Subspace?"

But seriously... I don't know. Using Trek as a means to teach real science certainly has its benefits; educational as well as, possibly, economic.

3. WalkinMan

WalkinMan Commodore Commodore

Well I was more thinking along the lines of describing stellar phenomena as we know it, using the 'conceit' of warp drive to make it possible. Talking about stellar distances, different types of planets and stars, nebulae, quasars, etc. It would not be about 'The Science of Star Trek' as much, e.g. Heisenberg theory vs. transporters....it would be more about space exploration from the NASA point of view, with a limited conceit--starship experience--to carry it along past a NASA POV.

Yes and there would be an economic benefit as well...indocrinating legions of young kids in Trek...muhahahaha.

4. Holytomato

Holytomato Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

what's the Trek IMAX film!?

combining Star Trek with Jack Horckheimer's Star Hussler would be coooooooooooooooool. :thumbsup: