The trailer/preview semi-spoiler effect

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Lucsly, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Agent Lucsly

Agent Lucsly Cadet Newbie

So I've watched every single trailer and the ten-minute preview and saved a copy of every picture I could find of STID.

Living in Austin, TX means that it hasn't yet premiered here (though the strategy they're using to promote the film - premiering it in Sydney, Moscow, Berlin, and London before here - is something fascinating unto itself). But, I find myself craving to put all the "puzzle pieces" of what I've seen together. First time I've ever had the possibility of doing that before a film came out.

So my discussion-suggestion is: have they released too many trailers/promos/information about the film? Which do you prefer, to be completely spoiler-free or to have just enough to whet your appetite for the film?

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Their job isn't to cater to what we prefer, but to generate as much public interest in the movie as possible - so, the more trailers/promos/posters/interviews etc. the better.

3. greenlight

greenlight Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

As far as I'm concerned, this has been a big problem in the industry for years. Take something like Iron Man 3. Between the various trailers, the articles, the extended film clips that show snippets from almost every single major scene, and supplemental material (like movie magazines or toys that come out before the movie's been released), there's really not much left to spoil. I find these things impossible to resist and as a result I walk into the theatre feeling like I've already seen all the good parts. If you're someone who likes to go in clean, that increasingly takes a real, proactive effort to avoid all the stuff they're throwing in front of you.

These new Star Treks have actually been better compared to most of the major high-interest blockbusters, but that's not saying much.

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, we've once again reached the point where we start complaining Abrams isn't secretive enough? :p

5. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't it just yesterday people were complaining about Abrams being too secretive and claiming it was hurting the film?

I know I'll see the film, and I know I don't want to be spoiled. To that end I don't read the pertinent threads here and avoid what exposure I can.

6. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just based on the previews and teasers, etc I am psyched to see this film. I can't wait. I haven't been this pumped to see a Trek film since Star Trek The Motion Picture and Star Trek The Wrath of Khan.

-Chris

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

You guys realize that it's only too much information for someone who seeks all that information, right? The regular Joe who gets to see one or two trailers or TV spots doesn't get any big spoilers, nor does he put all the puzzle pieces together.

If you don't want to get spoiled, don't look for spoilers. It's that simple.

8. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I read some of the spoilers.. just the main ones.

I am not watching any more clips or trailers or ads since last week. They do put way too much out there to those people who make a point of collecting and watching every trailer/advert & clip but like someone else has pointed out the average joe will see a fraction of all the marketing material.

9. greenlight

greenlight Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

JarodRussell, I'm not sure I agree. Sure, quite a lot of people will only see a couple trailers or the odd featurette, and some people will actively seek out everything that's available, but I bet there's an increasingly large number of people that are moderately interested, and online enough, that they will have to actively avoid trailers and articles and threads in order to not have the film spoiled. That's an interesting position to be in, both as a viewer with an interest in the movie, and as a promoter, in charge of generating as much buzz as possible.

I'm not really coming down on one side or the other, I just think it's interesting that these two dynamics, which should be in synch, are increasingly at odds with each other.

10. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's more fun to have teasers, and to anticipate how everything will fit into the movie. I spoiled myself a bit on the big issues, but the specifics of the movie are still unknown. I'm still ultra-psyched to see it.

11. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm still trying to figure out how the Klingons come into play, even though they were in the countdown to darkness comic. Is Harrison trying to start a war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire? It also seems Kirk's orders are to not apprehend Harrison but to kill him. The movie from the trailer seems to be a jumble of Star Trek The Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country, and DS9- Homefront / Paradise Lost.

-Chris