The TNG Blu-rays are great!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Lt. Munro, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Lt. Munro

Lt. Munro Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

We recently bought the TNG Blu-ray set and I'm really happy with how great the show looks on these. I'd already seen some of the remastered episodes on Netflix, but the Blu-ray versions are definitely a notch or two above the Netflix versions in terms of image quality/crispness.

I can understand why these didn't do well when they first came out -- at $60/season, that's $420 for the whole show, which is nuts. But I was able to get the whole show for a bit over $100, which felt like more than a fair price.

Lance likes this.
  2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

$100 for the whole series in remastered high-definition an absolute steal. Even $420 is cheap, considering the history of home video. Back in the day, if you didn't record the show yourself, then you had to buy VHS tapes containing only two episodes each, at $20 per tape. That would be nearly $1,800 for the whole series, or $3,100 in today's money!

Of course, the first one was only $4.95 if you signed up for the subscription.

Or if you were a videophile and wanted better quality, then you could get the laserdisks instead. Those also had only two episodes each. And I think they were closer to $35-$40 each.

Kor

Qonundrum, Lance and Lt. Munro like this.
  3. Lt. Munro

Lt. Munro Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

That video just made my night. Thank you for the historical context!

ThankQ and Qonundrum like this.
  4. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

I love the TNG BluRays. I eagerly awaited every season - mostly because of the bloopers/outtakes. They were the first thing I checked out. (I'm hopeless, lol.)

I love the Blu Rays in general tho. The show looks amazing, and I remember how I literally gaped at the screen when the first image of HD!Jean-Luc was released before that "teaser" Blu Ray came out that featured only a handful of episodes. I couldn't believe how amazing he looked (not that he hadn't looked amazing before, but this was a whole new level). I'd been somewhat against the idea of BluRays because I'd feared they'd do the same thing they did with TOS when they changed entire scenes when the ship orbits a planet, but nah, they left things mostly the way they were unless they really didn't have a choice for whichever reason. And again, JEAN-LUC LOOKS SO GOOD. (Hey, he's my main reason for watching TNG, so this has to be emphasized.)

5. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

OMG that is is cheap! I am gonna order the VHS!

Kor likes this.
  6. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the memories!

It makes $70 Blu-Rays a bargain and unlike their DVD counterparts were worth the MSRP.

Loved the Laserdiscs - which were always a niche market as most people didn't care for pristine quality... superseded by DVDs, which became ubiquitous... then replaced by Blu-Rays, which started as being ubiquitous but - as with 4K - is a niche market. Made more niche in that not all 4k transfers do justice if they're color-graded differently to the original medium. (if it's a navy blue, don't turn it into dark teal. Superman is not "the man of teal" but if Reeve's era ever gets 4k they might fix the problems introduced in the blu-ray. Star Wars 4k did a ton of good, but a few scenes had altered grading so rich blues became puke teals. Nor did Luke have anything approaching a teal or green lightsaber until "Return of the Jedi".)

But back to TNG on robust Beta not-so-robust VHS: Choosing clips at random to sell (what is a very polished but not necessarily the bestest-ever sci-fi show) to people are neither on Candid Camera nor are good actors - the unintended perception sold in the commercial is too hilarious nowadays.Never mind some of the "customers" are looking at cue cards even more blatantly than some of today's cable news casters - a real feat!:guffaw:

Even the worst episodes like "Code of Honor" looked vibrant and rich and had a new life to them thanks to Blu-Ray. Now fathom getting to see the pores of all those oily bodies in "Justice" then playing "connect the dots" with them. Who wouldn't want to! Just imagine how DS9 would look given the same treatment, and it was the one Trek show that really put effort into alien clothier and sartorial depth, with so much pattern detail and color. Heck, just upscaling the pew pew ship scenes and doing the live action from the negs would make a ton of people really happy.

RedAlert and Lt. Munro like this.