The Tick

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kor, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

So I looked and looked, and I couldn't find an existing thread on this. After a year of waiting since the pilot episode premiered on Amazon Video and Amazon ordered a full season, the season will finally become available tomorrow!

Looks like a rollicking good time, right? And a nice update to the suit design.

This is your place to review and discuss the new episodes, as well as any great memories of past depictions of the character from the comics, cartoons, and the short-lived live-action series from 2001-2002.

Kor

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Wow...it's been ages since I saw the pilot. I hope it was worth the wait.

3. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I have been waiting as well.
    Amazon has done a number of pilots, gotten good reviews, announced an upcoming series then nothing ever happened, I was concerned 'TheTick' would have a similar fate.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought there'd be more episodes but what was there was quite entertaining. I didn't watch the pilot again to compare but I was really feeling Serafinowicz as The Tick here. He seems like Townsend Coleman from the cartoon cut with a bit of Adam West and I felt really worked. The way they make up Jackie Earle Haley as The Terror combined with his performance is like a cartoon in itself and I mean that as a compliment, quite unique.

I like some of the little touches like the giant robot head when we first see the guy with the tin foil hat. The ever larger man (can't remember exactly what they called him) reminded me of Dinosaur Neil from the old toon and seemed very "Tick". I also like how well Tick integrates with people since he doesn't dismiss people that others ignore.

EDIT: Watched the pilot and then some of the new season again and I understated how much Adam West is in there, lol. Other than the suit change, the filming went from what looks like 2.35:1 to the more conventional HD aspect ratio and less use of yellow color to a more natural looking color usage which I like. Too many shows go heavy with the color grading and what not.

The Tick's personality isn't quite as arrogant as in the pilot. His assault on the bad guys in the pilots had a bit of a scary energy as he cockily and methodically asserted himself upon them laughing in their faces. This isn't as present in the new episodes.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  5. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Too short a season - I need more.

Vandervecken likes this.
  6. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Arthur being the central character is a good move, I like that a lot. Want more episodes!

Vandervecken and Asbo Zaprudder like this.
  7. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Love it. Overkill is great. The actor even LOOKS like Jon Bernthal, and I am sure that is no accident. Cackled like a crazy person when he said "no, the moment has passed, not feeling it anymore" about fighting the Tick. Oh and was it the VLM who was at Notlob when he was irradiated? I remember Notlob in there somewhere, a Monty Python shout out, dead parrot sketch! ("A palindrome of Bolton would be Notlob, it don't work.")

Was wondering if that is the head of the Iron Giant? Sorta looked to me.

This Terror is a hoot. This show is fun!!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Asbo Zaprudder likes this.
  8. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good news! This is only half a season. The second half will be coming in early 2018. Apparently Edlund and the other creators don't like bingewatching, so they're spacing out the episodes to create some breathing room.

Also, Tick's suit seems more practical this time. My only complaint is the ears (not the antennae, but the ears). The way they're detailed complete with ridges is kinda creepy.

Ooooh, oooh! Fun fact! Midnight is voiced by Townsend Coleman.

9. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering if "Spoon!" will make an appearance.

UncleRogi likes this.
  10. Mr. Adventure

I saw that but with only 10 new half-hour episodes in total I think it may have backfired a little. I think it would have generated more buzz and felt more satisfying to have them all drop at once. Instead of feeling like a nice two-course meal it's like getting two rounds of appetizers.

Asbo Zaprudder likes this.
  11. Mr. Adventure

They showed a lot of ads for this during football, almost as numerous as the ads for The Orville it seemed which makes it more disappointing that they didn't drop the rest of the season. Apparently, we might get those in early 2018(!), hopefully I will still be interested to see them by then.

12. jclark14

jclark14 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I on the other hand would prefer a weekly release, as of now, I gots nuthin for 5ish months.. grr.