Spoilers Strange New Worlds General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by NewHeavensNewEarth, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's times like these when Doctor Who and "I changed the desktop theme!" doesn't seem so bad.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

People need to stop taking the looks of things so seriously. Until the show outright says it’s an alternate universe, it isn’t an alternate universe.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

We are way past that point in this fandom.

Amasov likes this.
  4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Probably because explaining that to the casual viewer would be a waste of screen time. Most journeys to "right now" reflect the world outside our window. Making the Eugenics Wars happen just 30 years in the future was a mistake creatively. OTOH, how could TBTB know Star Trek would still be around in the 1990s or that the next Great War never happened?

fireproof78 likes this.
  5. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Pretty much this.

I mean, 2001 has been anachronistic for 20 years now.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  6. Yistaan

The Space Seed writers didn't get the hint (which was pretty much in the TOS bible) that no one wanted to know when Star Trek was set. That was the whole reason for stardates. If it weren't for Wrath of Khan, this episode probably could have been ignored. As it was, the 1990s Eugenics Wars and Khan's statements of being 200+ years from that time became the whole basis for the Star Trek timeline, which I think wasn't the right way to go.

If they had to bring in "Earth years", they should only have been set something like TOS taking place 100 FE, FE being Federation Era. Anything before FE is BFE (Before Federation Era). The founding year of the Federation would always be some obscure future Earth year, and thus Star Trek could always be "our" future.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

And yet, season 1 TOS episodes were always trying to pin down a date anyway, often contradictory. Tomorrow is Yesterday carries an implication they are two hundred years in the future, and then there's The Squire of Gothos stating the show is in the 28th century or whatever. Harlan Ellison's original script for City on the Edge of Forever would have established the show as being in the 25th century.

Serveaux likes this.
  8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's best to deal with centuries rather than decades in these sorts of things.

Serveaux likes this.
  9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Tuskin38

Wait I'm confused, that says February 7th, but doesn't Paramount+ start in March?

Maybe that's why it was deleted, wrong date.

Edit:
    Ohh wait Handball 55 is tomorrow
    so maybe trailers/teasers and shit

But there wouldn't be anything for SNW, I don't think it has started filming yet. Probably just a generic Paramount+ advert. Maybe they pulled it because of that.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  11. Tuskin38

F. King Daniel likes this.
  12. Yistaan

I was browsing Memory Alpha's 2258-2265 chronology and noted something interesting for 2263:

According to the specifications seen in DIS: "Brother", The USS Enterprise had an endurance performance of 18 years which would end sometime in this year.

So all us TOS purists can relax, Discovery has already decreed that the Enteprise will need a complete rebuild once its endurance performance is used up! Obviously Starfleet is short of budget and manpower as of 2263 and turns the Enterprise (and the Defiant too I guess why waste money on a ship Starfleet now knows is doomed to end up in the past Mirror Universe) into the retro, cost-cutting starship seen in TOS. :lol:

Markonian likes this.
  13. Tuskin38

That info comes from the Franz Jospef tech manual which the Discovery art team just took and put on a computer display.

14. Yistaan

Even so, once it's onscreen it's canon, regardless of any non-canonical origin.

The most extreme example would be that Discovery apparently canonically runs Windows, as one episode showed Microsoft code. :lol:

Markonian likes this.
  15. Annorax849

Annorax849 Commander Red Shirt

Superbowl aready has two Paramount+ commercials with SNW characters

16. F. King Daniel

It's not actually legible at all on screen, we only know from seeing the screen (which has an early version of the Discoprise without the swept back nacelles) in BTS clips.

17. Tuskin38

Some of it is visible and legible in the final episode, that includes the bit Yistaan is talking about.
    [​IMG]

Tim Thomason likes this.
  18. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

that is a disturbing thing i wonder if SNW or the Section 31 show will ever touch on: admiralty knows whoever they put on the Defiant are doomed. Not exactly the staffing assignments you want to hand out.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  19. F. King Daniel

Fair enough BUT the bit about the ship's compliment is contradicted in the dialogue

20. Tuskin38

Even though it’s the wrong number, I do like that the screen does mention 1 person is missing.

So the graphics team did know about Spock. Just not what the crew count in the script was.