Spoilers Strange New Worlds General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by NewHeavensNewEarth, Feb 6, 2020.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'm tempted to ignore DSC. :lol:

But no.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

If don't work, dustbin it. Always forward

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because Starfleet captains just believe everything a random alien tells them. Kirk and Picard would never have gotten anywhere if they did that.

That's not even getting into that all Pike has to do now is... leave Starfleet permanently. The one identifying thing he saw in the vision was that he was still in Starfleet when it happened.

Jadeb and KamenRiderBlade like this.
  4. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm more inclined to believe Yistaan's logic than random Klingon Monk on Boreth.

Pike knows what's a potential final outcome, I think he'll find a way to avoid it or to avoid the worst possible outcome.

5. Nerys Myk

Good luck with that, Chris.

6. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, they can change that. Or just ignore it.

BillJ and Nerys Myk like this.
  7. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know, his fate is in the hands of the Star Trek Writers now!

8. Nerys Myk

Praise them.

9. Yistaan

Oh just go all the way with it. Have Pike try to resign, with the Starfleet CNC, Section 31 and Federation President beating him to a pulp and forcing him to stay, with Pike screaming "A Klingon on Boreth showed me a vision where I'll be blasted with delta radiation if I stay in Starfleet!" and the entire Federation Council laughs and mocks Pike.

10. Nerys Myk

Nah, Pike needs to shout "I am invincible" at every non delta ray related threat.

11. cooleddie74

And constantly click an ink pen.

12. Yistaan

At which point Pike meets with Surprisingly Realistic Outcome - TV Tropes and is immediately killed. M'Benga, Boyce, and Section 31 then painstakingly conjure a duplicate Pike to ensure the Boreth vision is fulfilled, fearing intergalactic timeline repercussions if it isn't.

13. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't see the issue. His fate is years away, almost certainly after SNW has run its course. We're not worrying about Spock's death at the age of 162 in the alternate 2263, so why worry about Pike's brief accident and retirement to Talos? Why worry about M'Benga's likely demotion or reassignment? Why worry about the bad things "destined" to happen to Uhura or Chapel? It's of no concern to the characters as they exist from c. 2258 to c. 2265.

14. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Pike wheelchair makes no sense when dealing with more modern tech but it's also a very iconic Trek thing and so associated for decades to the Pike character you can't just not use it. Unless your doing alternate universe. Which I still don't understand why their is so much resistance to the idea. Do the writers not know their is other universes out their besides Prime, Mirror and Kelvinverse?

15. Yistaan

It's an issue because Pike knows about it. The other characters don't know their own fate. Realistically any normal person would be screaming about this from the rooftops and trying to avert it.

16. cooleddie74

The Pike wheelchair is a lot like having a stack of PADDs on your desk for file work when even today you can open multiple windows on one device to do so. It's more a dramatic choice than a sensible one, but for 1967 television writers I'm sure it sounded high-tech and in-universe there are probably good reasons why Pike's communication skills in the chair are so limited.

Commander Troi and Grendelsbayne like this.
  17. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

To me this one of the things I find really compelling about the show. Him knowing his fate and having to deal with it. It's also part of why I wish it was a alternate universe. The suspense you could build on whether or not he can cheat fate or is doomed like our Pike could make for some good drama.

18. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I do it all the time.

BillJ likes this.
  19. Yistaan

It's even more bizarre how selective the delta radiation is in its damage. Pike is mentally fine except for being unable to say anything but yes or no. He can see and hear (maybe there were implants involved but keep in mind Geordi still needed a visor a century later).

It does come off like a contrived plot device.

20. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pike probably has a form of aphasia, lacking the ability to effectively communicate his thoughts and wants beyond simple affirmations (or lack thereof), in addition to advanced quadriplegia and apparent facial paralysis. I also presume, perhaps related to his spiritual upbringing, that he didn't want cybernetic or experimental treatments to fix his motor problems, and it could be that he was little more than a shell below the brainstem, the chair doing all the work in maintaining his heart and lungs (if he even has his original anymore).

Since we see a Pike Chair well into the 24th century now (on Lower Decks), perhaps this is a sign of the regular treatment given to what would otherwise be vegetative states. The brain is restored as best can be, and the rest of the stuff controlled via the chair, and they are either taught (or in Pike's case, never lose the ability) to live on their own, albeit in this contraption.