The Star Trek movies that never got made

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by DaddlerTheDalek, Apr 1, 2016.

1. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

There were several attempts at producing a Star Trek feature film that never saw the light of the day like Planet of the Titans, Bennett's Prequel, Hurley's alternate Generations or Jendresen's The Beginning. It would be interesting to find more informations about these cancelled theatrical productions. I think it would be cool if somebody could find stuff like scripts, treatments, concept art and more. What do you know? What do you think?

2. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always wanted to know more about Hurley's Generations. After twenty years, I'm still none the wiser!

DaddlerTheDalek and BillJ like this.
  3. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Weren't there 2 or 3 other ideas for what became TMP aside from Planet Of The Titans?

5. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Agreed, I'd love to read that draft script for TNG: The Movie. I wonder if it was in any way close to what Generations became? Given that, as I understand it, Generations was plot-by-numbers to do a list of things the bosses wanted, I suspect it wouldn't be very close at all.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  6. Tomalak

Rick Berman tweeted the front of the script, but gave no details. I'm still hoping he writes a book about his Trek years, it could be as good as the Solow/Justman book about TOS.

7. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Amazingly enough, a bit of googling led me back here, 8 years ago. There was a thread specifically about the Hurley script, and @Allyn Gibson dug this up from an old Usenet group from the summer of '94, by which point at least some (if not all) the details of Generations had leaked out:

8. Tomalak

Nice one Biggles! I'd heard the Holo-Kirk idea, which would have been awful, but the Tholian aspect doesn't ring a bell. I suspect the suggestion that they never really intended to produce the script rings true - it was there to satisfy Paramount's demand for two scripts.

9. cultcross

Thanks for that, very interesting. Sounds like the alternate story was terrible! Glad they revisited the concept for These are the Voyages though :nyah:

10. cardinal biggles

While we're on the topic of unproduced Trek films, I know there was a document that surfaced online several years ago that was either Michael Piller's "Heart of Darkness"-inspired first draft of Insurrection, or else his reminiscences about it penned before his death in 2005. I remember downloading it, but seem to have lost it in a hard drive failure somewhere along the way. If anyone has this, I'd love to see a copy because I never got around to reading it.

edit: Nevermind. Found it here, in case anyone else is curious.

11. cultcross

You are just winning this thread aren't you?

12. cardinal biggles

Not that I was trying, but it appears that way. :p

13. Tomalak

I started reading Fade In when it first came to light, but never finished it. Thanks for bringing it back!

14. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a good read. Piller is very honest about the process and the experience. That's who Piller was, a straight-shooter At the same time, I fully understand why Paramount wouldn't approve of its publication -- Piller tells his story honestly, and the story he tells doesn't paint the studio, Berman, Stewart, Spiner, even himself, always in the best of lights.

15. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

16. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

I've read it. Very interesting to read and very honest.

17. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Perfect summary, if you wajnt more information on some of these there's Memory Alpha. Some of the unused scripts should be adapted by IDW or published, I for one would be very interested in these

James Cawley and co of course brought Phase II to life to some degree -- costumes, Enterpise changes, Xon - and made The Child, Kitumba and the TNG script Blood and Fire (adapted for Kirk and co of course)

18. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

The Michael Piller book is fascinating and I do wonder how good the original idea for the film would have been if it had been made. Interesting concept with Picard going after his academy friend.

19. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I don't like the plit idea, but I like the idea of Holo-Kirk. It would leave open the idea -- assuming it wasn't crushed in the un-read script -- of Kirk still being alive (which would make Scotty's comment in "Relics" line up properly). This would have also left the door open to maybe, though not necessarily, a future Trek project with the Shat. Rather than getting shot in the back by Mr. A Clockwork Orange.

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

This topic needs a book all its own.