The Star Trek franchise.

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by TopperHenly, Jun 5, 2020.

1. TopperHenly

TopperHenly Lieutenant Red Shirt

When Disney bought the Star Wars IP, there was news that they would be making films outside the activities of the Skywalker clan. While Rouge One existed inside that, it was a damn good film. Along came Solo and while not a bad film, it didn't really offer anything new and it looks like Star Wars standalone films have been put on hold.

While the Star Trek franchise looks healthy with the rebooted film series and new TV series being shown, I wonder if there is a space for similar with standalone movies in the Star Trek universe outside established characters and events?

These standalone films doesn't need to be big budget summer blockbusters. They could be done on lower budgets. Costs could also be kept down by recycling existing sets from the current TV series. What could make them stand out is that they could be set in different genres like horror or heist as well. As having lower budgets, more risks can be taken where those behind the camera can be more creative.

Offhand, an Aliens type film could be set in the Star Trek universe. In the ST universe, there has to be hostile species that are extremely dangerous to sentient life forms and will need to. Star fleet could have a component to deal with such threats and called in to deal with such a threat in the film. While it may not be original or creative as I had previously mentioned, remaking such a film in the ST universe could breathe life into a familiar plot and freshen it up if done correctly.

Qonundrum likes this.
  2. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure, why not?
    You could eliminate all of the TNG characters from Picard, tweak the story just a little bit, and make it a stand alone movie (or mini series) and it would work just fine.

Qonundrum likes this.
  3. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

I wonder if a stand alone film/mini series strategy would work better for testing the waters for what to make into a full fledged series. I know I wasn't interested in a captain Pike spin-off until season 2 of Discovery.

4. TopperHenly

TopperHenly Lieutenant Red Shirt

Why not?

I've just finished watching the political satire comedy The Thick of it starring Doctor Who's Peter Capaldi. I quite like political series especially ones that involves the behind the scenes wheeler dealings of the political machine rather than the theatrics of politics that we see on our TV series. Imagine a sort of West Wing series set in the Star Trek universe say for instance set in the run up of the founding of the United Federation of planets. Rather than focusing on action, it is focused on the diplomatic efforts between the different species. It could start off as a mini-series and if successful, end up as a series.