The Sorrows of Empire-Standalone?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by BruntFCA, Sep 9, 2012.

1. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I haven't read any of the mirror universe books (I've seen the episodes) and saw this at a local bookstore and was wondering if its connected to any other books? Thanks.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There are other books and short stories in the Mirror Universe sequence, but you can certainly read Sorrows and get a complete self-contained story.

The other key works under the Mirror Universe banner and continuity are the anthologies Glass Empires and Obsidian Alliances (with three short novels each, the first one including the original, shorter version of Sorrows), the short-story anthology Shards and Shadows (which I have a story in), and the novel Rise Like Lions by David Mack, which brings the whole saga to a conclusion. The Deep Space Nine novels Olympus Descending, Warpath, Fearful Symmetry, and The Soul Key contain a Mirror Universe arc that feeds into Rise Like Lions, but as always, the different subseries are designed to be comprehensible on their own and the interconnections are just a bonus.

There are various other MU tales that have been published over the years, including TNG: Dark Mirror and the Dark Passions duology, but they're in different continuities from the sequence mentioned above.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't suppose any of the other MU stories are going to be expanded into standalone novels like Sorrows was?

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Sorrows of Empire has a sequel called Rise Like Lions, but it tells a complete story itself that in no way requires familiarity with other novels in the Mirror Universe cycle.

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Though it also has parts that are a set up for a different mirror universe story in the last released anthology.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just want to point out that Olympus Descending is one of two stories (both of which are tied into the Mirror Universe arc) in Worlds of DS9 Vol. 3.

7. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^ What? In what way is Satisfaction Is Not Guaranteed connected to the MU arc?

Perhaps you meant Fragments and Omens, which is actually in Vol 2, not 3. But for the OP's purposes, the connection to the MU arc in either is tangential at best and definitely not required for The Sorrows of Empire.

8. Christopher

^Oh, yes, that's right, I meant Fragments and Omens, not Olympus Descending. Sorry for the mixup. F&O features the attack on Sidau Village that begins the MU arc in the DS9 novels. OD also leads into Warpath, but... hmm, well, I guess it does peripherally connect to the MU arc after all, so yeah, I guess I meant both of them.

9. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the reply's, I went back to the bookstore and picked it up and I'm really looking forward to reading it.

10. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was bizarre. I responded to correct a mistake I thought JD made... and Christopher apologised.

:confused:

Never mind. We got it straight in the end. :bolian:

11. Christopher

That's because you made me realize I'd made a mistake too.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're right. I was thinking Satisfaction is Not Guaranteed was in Vol. 2 and Fragments & Omens was in Vol. 3.:brickwall:

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Speaking of the MU - having just read about the Shatner/Reeves Stevens pitch for a season 4 Enterprise/TOS MU TV crossover featuring MU Kirk, if the Reeves Stevens are not interested or too busy couldn't someone else novelise it ?

I'd certainly like to read it...(as it's not my story idea I think we're OK discussing it here).