The 'Sharpe' Series

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Tombfyre, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Tombfyre

Tombfyre Commander Red Shirt

I just Finished watched the entire sharpe series, for the first time from the very first one, the new one made last year. Its great to see this series getting new episodes. Theres a new one soon "Sharpe's Peril" which will be taking place right after the ending of the latest episode "sharpe's Challenge"

I really want to buy this series.... but they are asking over 300 for it on amazon! I know its basically 15 movies.... but still.

Wikipedia entry for it if anyone is interested : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe_%28TV_series%29

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  2. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The real problem is that it's British, which makes it instantly more expensive here. Too bad. I think A&E sells them here, right? Their British stuff isn't as bad as WB stuff, but yeesh.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I've only ever caught this series in bits and pieces, so I added the first few to my Netflix list. Almost every guy I know just loves it, so I thought my hubby and I could watch it together.

Plus, Sean Bean is yummy. :drool:

4. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

The Sharpe series is good fun. They get repeated a lot on digital channels here in BritLand.

:D

My accent is a bit like Bean's, but not quite as gruff (my hometown is only 20 miles or so from his), but unfortunately I'm at least 166% less handsome than the bugger.

Dammit.

:D

5. The_Book_Of_G'Kar

The_Book_Of_G'Kar Captain Captain

I would like to buy the boxset and watch all the films but I can't! Why not? Cuz they keep making new ones! So it's not exactly a complete boxset! And I don't want a nice boxset with a few slim pack dvd cases next to them! The curent boxset is missing the one they made a couple of years ago plus the new one this year and god knows how many more they will make! So hard to collect an endlessly ongoing series!

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sharpe is cool. :cool:

The books are better than the TV movies, but the non-Peninsular novels are significantly weaker than the rest. Some of the recent books are sadly very formulaic.

The movies are decent, but suffer from budget problems in the bigger battles (everything is the wrong scale - companies have to pretend to be battalions, for instance). The movies do a great job of portraying the Sharpe and Ducos enmity though. Hugh Fraser is the perfect Wellington too, and Daragh O'Malley is a brilliant Harper. On the whole, just great fun and very enjoyable.

For British viewers, the TVMs are repeated regularly on the UK History Freeview channel, BTW.

The boxset isn't too expensive in R2. I don't have it, but I seem to recall it going for around £50 online. If you have a multiregion player in the USA, it might be worth going for that.

7. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Does anybody know when the next one airs?

8. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've loved this series for years, and the movies introduced me to the terrific books. I remember my wife looking at me funny while we were watching Golden Eye and I pointed out that 004 was Sean Bean.

"Who?" she asked.

"Sharpe," I replied.

Blank stare. :lol:

Oh, well. Here's my favorite song from the series, an old Napoleonic ditty: http://youtube.com/watch?v=M29HbfkaM8Q

9. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

I had no idea they were filiming a new one!

Amazing series, though I thought #15 was rather weak.

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

006 I think, though they should have saved him up for later, to be 007.

Great tune. :cool:

No idea when Sharpe's Peril airs but if it's filming now, I'm guessing it will air this autumn or around Christmas.

I drive past a Royal Rifle/Greenjacket territorial army battalion barracks everyday on my way to work. When it happens to take my attention, it almost always reminds me of Sharpe.

11. mostly_nameless

mostly_nameless Commander Red Shirt

If you don't need the box, the individual dvds are mostly around $12 a piece on deepdiscount. And if you wait until the semi-annual sale (June?), they would be 20% off that. That's how I got mine back in November.

I still haven't watched them all yet. I'm only up to Battle.

12. Avilos

Avilos Guest

I love this series. I first discovered it through Netflix about 3 years ago. I tried it on a whim knowing nothing about. Only that it starred Sean Bean who is a favorite of mine. That was right before "Sharpe's Challenge" was announced. Which was a surprise considering it had been nearly a decade. I had no idea that even another one is coming. That is great!

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I've only read the books. Might have to give the TV show a shot.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I've only read the books. Might have to give the TV show a shot.