The Sarah Jane Adventures finally hits iPlayer (Mostly.)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Rich Watson, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Rich Watson

Rich Watson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Title says it all really.

Except to add that multiple episodes have had cuts made to dialogue because stuff that was fine only a few years ago is apparently not acceptable today. "The Curse of Clyde Langer" has been skipped entirely, presumably because the plot revolves around a "cursed" Native American totem pole. Thankfully I still have the DVDs/Blu-Rays so it doesn't effect me.

Can't wait to see the bowdlerised version of "Talons of Weng-Chiang". It'll be five minutes long and will end racism forever.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  2. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It'll only be the last episode, with a recap for the previous five by Tom Baker, ala Shada.

jaime likes this.
  3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The talons of weng chian is about a 25th century dude well aware of how problematic his choices are, so it's all cool.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

This has been a fear of mine since the push to the all-streaming age.

5. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What's the point, in that case?

6. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

In the new DWM (which is largely given over to an SJA retrospective) RTD discusses the show coming to iPlayer, and the initial absence of “The Curse of Clyde Langer.” There had been a complaint about the story that was upheld (the totem pole is said to have been made on the Great Plains by a tribe that… didn’t make totem poles and didn’t live on the Great Plains), resulting in its being marked “Do Not Use” by the BBC. But RTD got the story’s original editor, who now works on DW, to re-edit it for free to remove the incorrect material, and it’s now on iPlayer with the rest of the show.

The Nth Doctor and ATimson like this.
  7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hope it's okay to bump a 6-month-old thread... I just finished a rewatch of TSJA on Max, and they have the edited version of "Curse of Clyde." I can tell where there are a couple of places where a line was trimmed to remove the name of the specific tribe, because I was watching out for it, but it's pretty seamless otherwise.

Anyway, still a pretty good series, but I feel they went to the "save the Earth from destruction" well far too often. I wish there had been more smaller-stakes stories like "Warriors of Kudlak" or "Curse of Clyde" where it was just about saving a few people. It also tried to have it both ways by having the global threats be very public yet have the people remain unaware of aliens, though that's a fault of RTD's Doctor Who tenure as well.

Also, there was a troubling trend... At first, Sarah Jane often said that her team helped aliens in need as often as they saved the Earth from aliens, but the focus was almost always on the latter, and the writers eventually seemed to forget the former part, so that in "The Gift," the idea of aliens not being hostile was treated as a novel idea that the heroes had trouble accepting. Although we did get some stories about helping aliens, like "The Mad Woman in the Attic" and "The Man Who Never Was."

One odd thing, though it's an oddity about me, not the show -- the first time I watched the final season, I found the actress who played Sky extremely annoying and couldn't stand her voice or her performance. Yet this time around, though I wouldn't say she was that much of an actress, I didn't find her annoying at all. That's good, surely, but I don't understand why my perceptions have changed so much.

Guy Gardener likes this.
  8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You probably already know that this is next...