Spoilers Strange New Worlds General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by NewHeavensNewEarth, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

If the show is going to be set aboard the Discoprise during Pike's command, why not just call it "Star Trek?" Calling it "Star Trek: Enterprise" is needlessly redundant.

SurvivorJoe and 137th Gebirg like this.
  2. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe it is all a clever plan to drum up support for both shows. New fans will Google "Star Trek: Enterprise" half will get hits with Bakula & Blalock.

Raffi out.

Visitor1982 likes this.
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Strange New World" sounds like that long forgotten Khan miniseries more than anything else.

I can't see them calling it anothing other than Star Trek: Pike.

4. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek - Pike? I doubt that. Picard is a well known name, Spock and Kirk even more so. But Pike? Nah.

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

He’s probably a bit more well known now because of the Abramsverse movies, but only a bit. They drew in some pretty big crowds. Those folks may, however, expect Bruce Greenwood to play the role and not Mount.

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Star Trek: Discoprise

7. F. King Daniel

He's been a trivial persuit question since before the reboot movies brought the character back to prominence. The captain before Kirk.

Plus he just starred in Discovery season 2. Just like Section 31, which is also getting it's own series.

8. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Exactly, Trivial Persuit, cos not everybody knows the answer... If you'd ask a non fan, the general audience, almost no one would know who Captain Pike is.

Picard, Spock, Data, Kirk... That's about it.

There is a reason why Section 31 isn't called Star Trek - Georgiou.

9. F. King Daniel

Section 31 is from Deep Space Nine, which the casual public know nothing of. Aside from DS9, it appeared in Into Darkness (along with Pike!) and Disco S2 (along with Pike!) so I'm not sure how one name has less public knowledge than the other.

fireproof78 and Masiral like this.
  10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

It also appeared in Enterprise. Then again, there are some folks out there who also apparently didn’t know that Enterprise actually existed so... :shrug:

Dukhat and F. King Daniel like this.
  11. CaptainXaviOfEarth

CaptainXaviOfEarth Commander Red Shirt

"Star Trek: Section 31" sounds cool.

"Star Trek: Pike" does not.

Simple as that really.

12. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

New Star Trek.
    New,old Star Trek...New Star Trek about old Trek that looks new....and is new but is old.

Lord Garth likes this.
  13. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Star Trek: The First Generation

Better to evoke the title of a series that was successful.

Longinus and Dukhat like this.
  14. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I love this post. It sums up what I think about the Pike Series. Not the quality of it, before someone misunderstands, but the concept.

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I've mentioned this about DSC, but I'll say it again: in the prime universe there's a 70 year span of time (2293-2363) of which we know virtually nothing about what went on in the Star Trek universe. It's completely fertile ground for storytelling. And yet CBS constantly wants to do prequels to TOS (if the Section 31 show is also supposed to take place during the Pike era). Why not set a show in, say, the year 2320? If they can do prequels to TOS, they sure as hell can do prequels to TNG.

16. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I completely agree with you that they should take advantage of the Post-TUC/Pre-TNG Era. But as far as anything DSC-related, besides the Pike Series, I think they should keep it all in the 32nd or 33rd Century from now on. That should officially be designated the default DSC Era.

Two seasons of dealing with arguing about the prequel-setting were good enough for me. I don't know how the hell ENT Fans did it for four seasons. Not that it wouldn't be an issue with a Pike Series either, but I'm guessing Pike will be more TOS-like (but not TOS) than anything else spun off from Disco.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  17. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

The big question is if they’ll be bold enough to etch 3187+ in permanent canon or eventually reduce it to yet another disposable far-future setting.

Lord Garth likes this.
  18. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bit of topic, but yeah. How about one involving first contact with the Cardassians. Perhaps beginning on friendly terms, with the Cardassians secretive about their occupied worlds.

Lord Hobbers and Longinus like this.
  19. F. King Daniel

[Archer making a pouty face.jpg]

Quinton likes this.
  20. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

I can see why CBS could go with Star Trek: Enterprise for the Pike show. I don't love it, but I can see it.

I would prefer they just called it Star Trek though. Give it the 60's font and everything. Modern audiences don't care if you bring back shows from the dead.

Quinton likes this.