The Over 40s Club

I walked to school after the budget for buses in my area was cut, and everyone past a certain demarcation line had to walk or get a ride. I don't see any kids walk from home near my old schools or others anymore, parents apparently swoop in and take them all home. A shame, I usually liked walking.

I was verbally bullied a bit in grade school and early middle school, I gathered it was because my family was very European and didn't do everything like all the families around us...which were not very multicultural. However I was a big kid, and challenged 5 people in 5 straight school days to fights so they'd shut up....needless to say, I won all the fights. There were also incidents with some older kids in high school, and in one case he was 3 years older, I broke the guy's arm. I also fought 3 kids at one time who thought I had a big mouth I suppose, and that went my way too. By high school I was even bigger, and started lifting weights and no one was dumb enough to challenge me for a long time. I guess these days such direct retaliation is frowned upon, or maybe kids today use guns instead.

I had a reputation for being loud and getting in trouble for most years up till early high school, then I slowly got more serious about school. I had a lot of fun in those days though. I tended to have good to excellent grades but bad marks for behavior. I loved science and history through all my school years, receiving honors in both in high school. I loved gym class! Loved competing.

It seems these days that kids are far more micro-managed...at least that's what I gather with my nephews. I'm glad that I didn't have to go through that.

I've slept with over 40 people:lol:

...............:( sorry...

I'm no where near 40, but knowing that there are this many folks on here that are makes so much sense now.

I'm no where near 40, but knowing that there are this many folks on here that are makes so much sense now.

Why? Is there some kind of old fart vibe you're recoiling from?

I'm nowhere near 40 either (though I was when I first registered on this bastion of trollery) ;)

I'm nowhere near 40 either (though I was when I first registered on this bastion of trollery) ;)
Me too! :D I've got 50 in my rearview mirror these days. Sigh.

I recently moved back to the area where I grew up (thankfully several towns away). It's a little creepy to go back to my old neighborhood. The high school looks about the same, but the residential neighborhoods have gone hugely downhill. That's OK, though, as I have ABSOLUTELY NO DESIRE to be anywhere near that area. High school was hell - I couldn't get out of that town and away to college fast enough.

Oh, no. Not at all. My apologies. That came out wrong. I just meant that there was a certain level of maturity here that you don't often find.

I walked to school after the budget for buses in my area was cut, and everyone past a certain demarcation line had to walk or get a ride. I don't see any kids walk from home near my old schools or others anymore, parents apparently swoop in and take them all home. A shame, I usually liked walking.
I usually rode my bicycle to and from high school, a distance of several miles, and only took the school bus when it was raining. Today's "helicopter parents" are paranoid about all sorts of imagined dangers to their children. They think there's a kidnapper or a pervert lurking on every street corner. As it happens, I personally know all the perverts in my neighborhood, and there's no more than one every five or six blocks, tops!

I too walked to school, our school system didn't have buses. However thats not why I'm replying, right now I'm one of those Helicopter parents. Well, I'm trying to balance being and not being a Helicopter Parent. It's very tough, the line keeps moving and moving quickly.

I usually rode my bicycle to and from high school, a distance of several miles, and only took the school bus when it was raining. Today's "helicopter parents" are paranoid about all sorts of imagined dangers to their children. They think there's a kidnapper or a pervert lurking on every street corner. As it happens, I personally know all the perverts in my neighborhood, and there's no more than one every five or six blocks, tops!

I too walked to school, our school system didn't have buses. However thats not why I'm replying, right now I'm one of those Helicopter parents. Well, I'm trying to balance being and not being a Helicopter Parent. It's very tough, the line keeps moving and moving quickly.

At least you're not a Helicat parent. ;)

That is the freakiest, repulsive thing I have ever seen. So yeah!

At least you're not a Helicat parent. ;)

Back