The 'oldies' of TrekBBS reunite...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by aussie_voy_fan, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aussie_voy_fan

aussie_voy_fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Calling all the originals of this board !!!

If you can remember the infamous Voyager flame wars, The Rob Hal World Order, rolled your eyes at Starman's spamming attempts, loved Cureboy's purple ranting shoes and asked the question "where's Core?"... then this is the thread for you !! You may post here everyday or you may post only once every couple of years... but whatever the case, drop in, say g'day and let us know what you're doing these days.

2. aussie_voy_fan

aussie_voy_fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I joined TrekBBS on the 20th April 1999... I was something like the 51st person to join and was the longest running member on the board at one stage (and probably still am !!). My interest was in Star Trek Voyager and I ended up modding the Voyager forum with the lovely maxi during the tumultuous 'flame wars" period which was a complete and total nightmare.

At the height of my Voyager fandom (around the time of the new millenium), I was watching the episodes pretty much every day (I bought all the episodes on VHS initially and have now replaced them all on DVD), I knew pretty much every piece of trivia there was to know, I attended a few conventions and met most of the actors. I was totally obsessed with Star Trek Voyager (I even got Voyager-related number plates... which I still have on my car).

Since then though things have changed completely. I met my now-fiance Tony in 2003 (who is also a bit of a sci-fi buff) and we've now gone on to have two little boys - Kaelan who is nearly 2.5 and Ashton, who is 10 months old. I'm so busy with these two, that I haven't had a lot of time for anything including Voyager. My interest in Star Trek has actually waned to the point where I don't think I've actually watched a full Voyager episode since the series ended. In fact, if I see a Voyager episode being played on TV, half of the time I can't even remember the name of the episode... how bad is that?? :D

I went to see the new Star Trek movie at the cinema tonight (a rare night out without the kids) and I completely loved it... so my enthusiasm for Trek has been renewed, at least temporarily.... though I'm a little concerned that the altered timeline in the movie has now completely wiped out Voyager and TNG/DS9 !!

So that it is me !!

(For the record... it is because of TrekBBS that I got the inspiration for my oldest son's name. Remember Caillan?? The first time I ever spoke to him on this board I told him how much I loved his name... well, I loved it so much, I named my son Kaelan... same pronounciation, different spelling)

3. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Someone yelled? :shifty:

4. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

I remember you, aussie_voy_fan
    . Some kind of Deep Space Nine fan from New Zealand, yes?

5. Santaman

6. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

I remember sending a couple of polite and apologetic emails to you, Aussie, back in the days before we had a notify button.

I joined in October 2000, and mooched around the TOS forum, before moving over to the Voyager forum for a while. I was not much of a prolific poster, and never thought to get noticed. Except Lisa had read some of my fanfic and used it to blackmail me into modding when an emergency vacancy came up.

I remember when the board atmosphere was wildly unstable, when people seriously tried to 'bring down' TrekBBS. These days, it's a staid, peaceful place by comparison. Honest!

7. Santaman

*hugs Kathy* :D

8. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

*Hugs Santaman back*

9. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

The Sho-Rin doesn't remember joining, I have ALWAYS been here. (obscure Babylon 5 quote) I joined very early on before the original board crash. Still pop in now and then but spend most online time moderating at BiancaRyan.com/forum. Many old friends still around these virtual halls.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Howdy, folks. I'm pretty sure I post more now than I used to back when I joined up 9 years ago. My one regret is that I wish I had gotten to know the posters better back then. I recognize most of the names from the old days, but I don't really know anything about them.

11. DanTheGrey

DanTheGrey Vice Admiral Admiral

When I saw the "reunite" I was wondering if the oldies were going to merge to form Devestator or Voltron or equivalent :D

12. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Does 5 1/2 years qualify me as an oldie?

13. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I've only been around for about 8 years, do I qualify for the bus pass? I mean Oldie status?

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been here for 4 years with this name, but three years before that as Mr. Laser Beam. Howdy. :)

15. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I started here in... June of 2000. Was mostly just a lurker back in those days and have since become... well, somewhere between prolific poster and lurker. ;)

Oh, and I used to be known as mencc1701, and after the Crash I was mencc1701A until I decided I needed a change.

16. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

I always enjoy seeing people from my lurking/n00b days return for a bit. It's good to see you again aussie_voy_fan. :)

17. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

By the way aussie, we now have a Big Blue skin, so if you're feeling nostalgic, and want some retina burn (until you get used to it again) just look at the bottom of the page.

18. Santaman

Lots of familiar oldbees.. :p

19. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I joined sometime in late 2001. Not sure if that's old 'nough for this crowd though.....

20. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Do those of us who remember reading Katie's "From The Ranks" posts count? :p
    I lurked in early 2001, registered in early 2002, but re-registered in late 2002 when everything went kablooey.

J.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.