The Official Guide to TAS

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Khan 2.0, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

2. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Spiff! The preview pages look pretty cool - like the layouts.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Glad to see the book is coming out. I was one of the people they interviewed for this last year for the section about the legacy of TAS.

Glad they're not repeating the '90s Concordance revision's mistake of attributing all the unknown voice parts to James Doohan, but it's too bad they apparently weren't able to identify the actors.

Surprising to see that Howie's first draft of "The Pirates of Orion" was typed on notebook paper -- and cool that it still survives!

publiusr, Galileo7 and Leto_II like this.
  4. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Wow, I never expected anything like this would ever have been published. I’m going to have to make an effort to squirrel away some money to get this when it comes out!

5. Mysterion

Now we just need an Enterprise series guide/behind-the-scenes book and I'll be a happy camper.

TheAlmanac, Avro Arrow and Leto_II like this.
  6. Koric

Koric Commander Red Shirt

Honestly I want this. But NOT having an EBOOK? Why? What is it with authors and publishers overlooking ebooks? I dont understand. Please release an ebook please.
    -Koric

Tim Thomason likes this.
  7. GeekFilter

GeekFilter Commander Red Shirt

You are under the incorrect assumption that authors have control over that! The book is been assembled in a way that is easy to make an e-book that is not our call!

historypeats and Tim Thomason like this.
  8. Koric

Im sorry Geekfilter. Im not meaning to offend. I meant more publishers rather than authors. It makes no sense to overlook a market much less these books are great candidates for references and updates in both electronic form as well as paper too. After all most layouts for books are done digitally. Hey, Im for reaching and including everyone not just a select few.
    -Koric

9. GeekFilter

I agree but it was not up to us. Not sure what the ultimate format plan is, may depend on sales or something I'm not even aware of.

Koric likes this.
  10. Koric

Are you behind the book itself Geekfilter? If so, I didnt know

11. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

Oh wow! Nice to see TAS getting treated well. I wonder if the book will cover Alan Dean Foster's novelizations just a little in passing; that would be amazing, although I don't expect it.

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice to see The Animated Star Trek series is finally getting it's own episode guide. I wish Enterprise would get a book like this.:techman::)

TheAlmanac likes this.
  13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Then it gets on torrents and no one buys it.

14. GeekFilter

Yeah that too!

15. GeekFilter

Yup, me and my co-author Rich.

16. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

And those that have switched over to ebooks don’t buy it, because it’s not for sale to the likes of them...

ATimson likes this.
  17. Mysterion

Looking forward to your book. Were you able to touch on Alan Dean Foster's novelizations and how they expanded on the TAS episodes at all?

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Publisher has to protect the profitability of the project.

19. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And with such a beautifu l presentation and careful layout. Some things ar e meant to be held and handled.

My one little attempt at book making, I really labored o ve r layout and formattin g and d idn't want a kindle messing it up with one change of type size. Ironically I am typing on one now, which sucks for tgping on btw.

BillJ and TheAlmanac like this.
  20. Koric

Thanks Geekfilter for letting me know. :)

One of the greatest things about this forum is to be able communicate with authors, writers and creative collaborators like yourself.

I'm sorry about the ebook/electronic issue. Technology wise I know it can be done as far to be on parity with the paper version of your book.

I hate having to say this, I have a disability and have Cerebral Palsy. Back in 1997 I bought this huge copy of Star Wars Chronicles with the gold slipcover for over $100. I got it home and realized I couldnt hold it to enjoy it or look at the photos. I had to return it. One of my biggest problems is I cant lay my left hand flat. I feel stupid for saying this honestly.

I just wanted you to know why I was asking about an ebook and just feel left out of enjoying these books. Your's, John Eaves, it starts to add up sometimes. I just want to be able to support your efforts and not have to enjoy your book only by the way of random one off google images. I respect the fact that you dont want your works and/ or your effort to be stolen online. But I hope your publisher would reconsider not just for me but others as well to reach the widest audience as possible.
    Just remember no matter what there are unsavory people online sellers selling the out of print Star Trek Encyclopedia for anywhere from $1200-$3000. I sincerely hope BillJ gives them hell too. :) Not everyone is a thief.

Thanks for reading this, I hope you understand. Much success to you, your hard work, and the book as well. I hope you consider me a fan. :)
    -Koric

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019