The New Mutants -- news, rumors, opix, etc;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Apr 1, 2016.

1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

If I were single, I would rotate services as well.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not a huge fan of them, but there is just so much stuff I want to watch on them, both new and old stuff, that I can't pass them up.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Cool. I was on the holds list for the DVD at my library, but now I'm just gonna wait a couple more weeks so I can watch it in 4K on HBO Max.

5. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Might not be in 4K. Only the “new” new stuff is.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Eh, fair enough. But it'll at least be in 1080p, which the library from the DVD wouldn't be. (They don't do Blu-rays.)

7. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished seeing it on HBO Max...pretty generic. The characters didn't grab me. As was said...this felt more like a CW pilot than an Xmen movie.

Thankful for the free streaming service (due to phone plan)

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

How much did Joss Whedon get for the 60 second clip from Hush?

Nothing?

A product of Warner Brothers.

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

And The Body. Buffy was a Fox production (only distrib by WB/UPN later), same as New Mutants. Except both Disney now, naturally.

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finally watched this earlier this week, and I enjoyed it. I'm glad I watched, and I'm a little disappointed there's very, very little chance we'll get more of these characters. I liked the characters, and the stuff that Dani brought out was a nice way to explore their backstories. The story took some interesting twists and turns as it went along, although I was a little surprised they made it so obvious right off the bat that Dani was responsible for what was going on.
    Once they revealed Reyes worked for the Essex Corporation I was really hoping we'd finally get to see Sinister on screen, and was a little disappoint when we didn't. Do we see him in Dark Phoenix or is he going to end up being a set up that will probably never get a pay off?

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

What a coincidence -- I just watched it today.

Since I haven’t read many of the characters’ comics, and not in quite a long time, I was able to go into this fairly fresh and judge it on its own terms. In that respect, it’s imperfect but moderately satisfying. I didn’t find its story actively stupid or insulting or incoherent. It wasn’t very deep or complex, and ultimately it was a rather simple story about mastering fears, but it was watchable.

I did find it borderline laughable how it went out of its way to give every one of the characters a murder-y backstory, but that actually made sense once it was revealed that this was an Essex Corp. program to recruit and train mutant killers, so of course all the “patients” would be mutants whose powers had already proven lethal. Even though I was spoiled in advance, I thought it was fairly clever the way the movie set up the audience and the characters to think that Reyes’s “superior” was Charles Xavier, only to drop hints that something darker was going on and eventually to reveal the truth.

The characters were underwritten, but I thought Dani and Rahne’s romance was sweet, and I was impressed at how far they took the same-sex romance when I was expecting something far more tentative. Illyana was unpleasant at first with her meanness and gratuitous racism, but she got better, and let’s face it, Anya Taylor-Joy was really hot here, especially in her action scenes. And Lockheed (when he finally showed up for “real”) was adorable.

I liked the visual effects design. Reyes’s force fields were interesting, the flashes of Magik’s Limbo dimension were visually striking, and the Demon Bear was fairly effective. I assume its smoky body was an interpretation of Bill Sienkewicz’s art.

Reyes’s force fields were strange. If she generated them herself, how was there a permanent one around the hospital, even when she was asleep or drugged? Could she generate one and make it persist independently until she chose to bring it down? They could’ve stood to explain that.

Also, it annoyed me how they took the (putatively) Native American parable of the Two Wolves and substituted bears in order to fit the story they were using. It felt like cheating.

Nope, nothing about him there. I suppose you could say the payoff is in Logan, because Dani's flashes of the experiments on mutant teens are largely stock footage from that movie.

13. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

New Mutants has to be set either after or concurrent with Logan due to the shared footage between them, so we sadly ultimately never get to see Mr. Sinister himself.

Personally, I think ending the XMCU with Logan is the most narratively satisfying notion because it provides closure with just the barest hint of/setup for things that could come, which would put NEw Mutants internally concurrent with that film but ideally viewed before it.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think it's taking the shared footage from Logan too literally to assume it has to be the exact same footage in-story. After all, productions reuse stock footage to represent different things sometimes. It could be similar experiments carried out by the same institution years earlier.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think things were ambiguous enough with all of that, that you could pretty much set it at any point in the timeline after Buffy the Vampire Slayer came out.