The Nature of the Universe, Time Travel and More...

Gravity Without Mass

https://www.google.com/amp/s/phys.org/news/2024-06-gravity-mass-mitigating-hypothetical-dark.amp
Dark matter is a hypothetical form of matter that is implied by gravitational effects that can't be explained by general relativity unless more matter is present in the universe than can be seen. It remains virtually as mysterious as it was nearly a century ago when first suggested by Dutch astronomer Jan Oort in 1932 to explain the so-called "missing mass" necessary for things like galaxies to clump together.
It makes sense. If gravity is not an attractive force of mass itself, but is the warping of space, then there must be a force involved in warping that space. Just as the force from a rocket engine accelerates a space capsule, the rocket isn't the only way to accelerate a space capsule. Perhapse there are other ways to warp space that doesn't require matter. However, matter seems to be required in every other example for generating force, even if that matter is indirectly related to the force (i.e. EMF).

What if the Singularity that created the Universe caused a chaotic warping of otherwise undisturbed and consistent space/space-time? The idea of developing "warp drive" (field drive) technology is the application of just that theory. Acceleration created by a manipulation of the geometry of space might be possible with only an indirect use of matter (EMF, Light waves, ...). If space can be warped by an event, such as the explosion of a singularity into the existing Universe, those warps in the "fabric" of the Universe would remain unless there was a force that worked to unwarp that space.

-Will

Last edited:
Wheeler talked about “charge without charge” and “mass without mass” in his book about Geon holes.

Feynman only looked the radical on the outside.

Button-down Archibald was the real maverick.

Yeah, there's so much we likely don't know because we're far removed from the action. There might be several different things that we lump together as dark matter. Curvature without mass would require a modification to the Einstein field equations, but it would be equivalent to one or more extra terms in the stress-energy tensor.

More about potential dark matter stars:

Some more speculation about gravity and what we interpret as dark matter and dark energy being interpretable as the effects of quantum entanglement:

Law of Increasing Functional Information
Link: Evolution Complexity Law

The concept of self-organizing systems and autopoiesis has been with us for millenia. The idea that there should be a physical law to describe it is also not new. The suggestion that this could represent a "second arrow of time" is, as far as I know, unique.

"I'm talking about diversification and patterning through time" from one stage to the next, Dr. Micheal L. Wong says.

I first read about this in an article that basically said nothing more than this concept of a "second arrow of time" existed. The proposal was a counter movement to the second law of thermodynamics. The relationship to arrows of time seems pretty loose, but very interesting.

-Will

Law of Increasing Functional Information
Link: Evolution Complexity Law

The concept of self-organizing systems and autopoiesis has been with us for millenia. The idea that there should be a physical law to describe it is also not new. The suggestion that this could represent a "second arrow of time" is, as far as I know, unique.

"I'm talking about diversification and patterning through time" from one stage to the next, Dr. Micheal L. Wong says.

I first read about this in an article that basically said nothing more than this concept of a "second arrow of time" existed. The proposal was a counter movement to the second law of thermodynamics. The relationship to arrows of time seems pretty loose, but very interesting.

-Will
That sounds like a teleological principle that applies to the Universe, although it could just be another form of the weak anthropic principle. I'd like to see how they quantify complexity and what its counterpoint equation to the second law of thermodynamics might be and whether this could be falsified. I found the following discussion of emergent complexity interesting, but can it provide any insights other than phenomenological descriptions?

That sounds like a teleological principle that applies to the Universe, although it could just be another form of the weak anthropic principle. I'd like to see how they quantify complexity and what its counterpoint equation to the second law of thermodynamics might be and whether this could be falsified.
Exactly the problem. Natural Selection is a process that basically says things persist because they happen to take a form that allows them to persist within the given environment. I'm having trouble coming up with the word, at the moment. But, of course it is true that those things that exist are proof that they have what it takes to exist. "Tautology", I knew it would come to me.

Organization is a concept that has both an element of physical definition and teleological anthro-genisis. We get to define 'organized'.

-Will

Last edited:
Yeah, evolution by natural selection is all about genetic variation and the death of the sickest and/or least well adapted before they can procreate. As a professor of evolutionary biology once commented, it necessitates the deaths of a multitude of mutant offspring over billions of years. A tautology is an assertion that is true in every possible interpretation. I'd say rather that many statements in this area are currently undecidable. Teleology would imply that life has a goal or purpose, which is impossible to demonstrate. Whether the Universe - or Multiverse - is destined to be filled with sapience is unknowable. There is problem of dealing with the heat death, but there might be ways of handling that. We tie ourselves up in semantic knots a lot of the time in our attempt to categorise and formalise our place within reality. Even using mathematics to formalise and predict only seems to take us so far before e run into a barrier such as computational irreducibility.

That's a new one for me. Perhapse we'll get the chance to use it when we turn our discussion to intelligence in the Universe. Seems like that's due to come up soon.

-Will
New to me as well, although I guessed correctly that the term derives from nous and sphere - so "sphere of reason". However, the latter seems to be a declining quantity rather than a growing one.

So we are directly relating time to the wavelength of light. If we decide to measure time by a red light, time is slower than time measured by blue light. Wouldn't that mean that time wasn't necessarily slower in the past, if we just used red shifted light as our standard?

But what if we measured time by the speed of light instead of its wavelength? We would also need a reliable and unchanging measure of distance. So we couldn't use the Universe, since it's dimensions appear to be changing.

-Will

Time ran slower in the past?
I’ve noticed that too.
Events in the past appear to pass more slowly relative to us because of the Universe's expansion. These observations time how long type 1a supernovae persist at different redshifts. The time dilation factor is the same as the wavelength ratio, Z+1, where Z is the shift (Z < 0 is blueshift and Z > 0 is redshift). The peak luminosity is primarily due to the decay of nickel-56, which produces higher energy (and therefore shorter wavelength) photons while the later stage is powered by the decay of cobalt-56, which produces lower energy photons. So, if the peak lasts about 30 days before decaying by a given amount as observed in the Local Group where Z is roughly 0, the peak lasts 120 days for Z equals 3 (that is, 2.17 Ga after the big bang).

Last edited:
Time being an emergent property is, of course, not a new idea. The Wheeler-DeWitt equation that attempts to combine quantum mechanics and general relativity is timeless with time arising from quantum entanglement and time evolution being interpreted as a gauge transformation.
The time dilation factor is the same as the wavelength ratio, Z+1, where Z is the shift (Z < 0 is blueshift and Z > 0 is redshift).
This speaks directly to time being an emergent value, so it can't really be accurate to suggest time moved more slowly or faster, only that the standards for its calculation at different.

We can't travel backwards in time by having a negative wavelength of light, for example. The wavelength of light is always positive no matter what direction light travels in.

-Will

This speaks directly to time being an emergent value, so it can't really be accurate to suggest time moved more slowly or faster, only that the standards for its calculation at different.

We can't travel backwards in time by having a negative wavelength of light, for example. The wavelength of light is always positive no matter what direction light travels in.

-Will
While I suspect time is emergent from entanglement as I mentioned previously, the prediction of time dilation due to cosmic expansion, gravitational acceleration or relative motion arises directly from special relativity and general relativity. It has been demonstrated numerous times. Time only appears to pass at a different rate to an observer in a different frame of reference.

Also:

In this article, there is no mention of time being measured by wavelength.
"...compare the refractive index of the medium at which the light wave enters (nI) to that of where it exits (nF). If nI is smaller than nF, then the wavelength will be positive which corresponds to an absorption process. However, if nF is smaller than nI, then the wavelength will be negative which corresponds to an emission process."

"When the wavelength is negative, it indicates that the light is being emitted from an object or source. This means that energy is being released, rather than absorbed by the object or source."

"Since a cycle must always start from 0 and end with 0, it is impossible to have a negative frequency."

When referring to the waves of light, since light is suppose to travel at a constant speed, no matter the wavelength, and it is impossible to have a negative frequency, than the idea of a negative wavelength seems like it is more a convention to express emission or absorption of light energy than an actual negative distance between waves.

-Will

In this article, there is no mention of time being measured by wavelength.
"...compare the refractive index of the medium at which the light wave enters (nI) to that of where it exits (nF). If nI is smaller than nF, then the wavelength will be positive which corresponds to an absorption process. However, if nF is smaller than nI, then the wavelength will be negative which corresponds to an emission process."

"When the wavelength is negative, it indicates that
the light is being emitted from an object or source. This means that energy is being released, rather than absorbed by the object or source."

"Since a cycle must always start from 0 and end with 0, it is impossible to have a negative frequency."

When referring to the waves of light, since light is suppose to travel at a constant speed, no matter the wavelength, and it is impossible to have a negative frequency, than the idea of a negative wavelength seems like it is more a convention to express emission or absorption of light energy than an actual negative distance between waves.

-Will
Yes, it's a convention. Time is measured by observing and counting correlations, and for oscillations, that's frequency. For waves, frequency is equal to wave speed divided by wavelength. Length depends on choice of origin and basis unit. I'm not sure what you're trying to state.

The only allowed time travel that I could see working was a scenario where Cosmic Strings were whiplashing past one another for awhile.

No DeLorean, no phone box--just a ship that has to make a move at one point.

A far future version of a Moon Shot--no do-overs.

Back