Spoilers The Music Box in "The Survivors"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by NovaStar, Mar 25, 2019.

1. NovaStar

NovaStar Commander Red Shirt

I know this may sound strange but the music box in the episode "Survivors" always bothered me for how unsettling it was. I get music stuck in my frequently but I can't imagine the amount of torment Troi had to endure hearing that same melody endlessly repeat "in perfect clarity from beginning to end". Not only was the box an effective tool to keep Troi from sensing what Kevin Uxbridge really was, but it also managed to nearly drive her into insanity. Did this bother anyone else? I love the episode but I have a hard time enduring those Troi scenes without relating to the pain she's going through. Oh, and now I hate music boxes.

2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then the episode was very effective.

Kor

3. gakelly

gakelly Commander Red Shirt

It reminds me of a Twilight Zone (I think) episode where a merry go round kept going around and around, driving one of the characters mad....unless that was just a memory from when I was a child.

4. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Music/audio bombardment is a long practiced torture technique. So yeah... unsettling

5. Yeesh that was not fun to watch

6. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've heard the CIA uses Britney Spears

Mr. Laser Beam and Terok Nor like this.
  7. gakelly

gakelly Commander Red Shirt

There was a park in Australia that would play Barry Manilow at night to keep the thugs out.
    If the show was filmed today, the music that would be in Troi's head driving her mad would be Nickelback songs.

Prax likes this.
  8. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Spoilers for an episode from 30 years ago?:guffaw:

I agree with your analysis. Deanna's struggle into near insanity is a very powerful motive to push the story forward.

9. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is no shelf life on people's ability to be annoyed