The Murder of Degra (sp) in "The Council"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Delta Vega, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Surely the most gut wrenching, gratuitous killing in the history of Star Trek ?
    Saw it tonight, not for the first time, and it hasn`t lost any impact over time.
    I guess viewers probably saw it coming and knew who the assailant would be, but it didn`t lighten the impact.

2. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

Didn't see his death coming until the actual scene and said to myself, "Oh, well I should have seen this coming." Why anyone would agree to meet that roided out iguana in a dark room, I do not know. I was sad to see him go...he was actually a great character!

FanST, LoyaulteMeLie and Terok Nor like this.
  3. Delta Vega

The roided out Iguana is also a great character, a loathsome baddie
    It was sad to see Degra cop it, in such a horrific way, but the scene just emphasised the ruthlessness of the Reptillians.

FanST and LoyaulteMeLie like this.
  4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lots of echoes of G'Kar and Londo Mollari in that interaction, and perhaps the makeup and performances as well. Except, you know, the roles of the good, the bad and the ugly weren't shockingly flipped in the end.

I think ENT S3 is underrated as a dramatic arc and a collection of memorable characters and events. Even in its odd mid-season kink, it reminds me of the Babylon 5 storytelling that was also forced to change tracks in mid-run a couple of times. And Degra is one of the things holding it all together to my satisfaction.

Timo Saloniemi

FanST likes this.
  5. clorets

clorets Ensign Red Shirt

Degra is definitely one of the better aspects of season 3. It gave the season more drama rather than just having the Enterprise out for revenge.

6. Delta Vega

Yes Timo, Season 3 is my favourite Enterprise Season, sure there are some meanderings during the course of the Season that could have been left behind, but the Xindi arc is great Trek.
    I`ve never understood the contempt that some of Enterprise is held in.
    Great all round entertainment, and as you say, some great drama as well.

FanST and sekundant like this.
  7. Timo

...I only watched the show sporadically originally. When Netflix offered it, I first watched S3 for its solid arc structure, and then binged through S1 and S2 to get a feel of how Archer got to where he stood. I loved the slow build-up, especially after having spoiled myself out of the payoff. ("A Night in Sickbay" is a favorite of mine, actually.)

Timo Saloniemi

FanST likes this.
  8. Delta Vega

The demise of Major Hayes was also fairly gorey
    Reptillian weapon through the heart while transporting, which brings me to the question, didn`t Archer get shot with a Suliban phase pistol while in the process of being transported, also he was running at the time ?
    There didn`t seem to be any residual injury for him after he had beamed aboard, or did I miss it ?

9. Timo

It's no doubt a matter of split seconds. Kirk and McCoy also beamed out of Rura Penthe in a show of sparkles that had not yet quite ended when the Klingons began firing beams through it, and emerged unharmed.

Curiously, that's about the only time Klingon guns fired beams - decidedly the more dramatic type of VFX for this type of scene.

Timo Saloniemi

10. Delta Vega

I see what you`re saying, and I agree that it must be a split second thing
    But surely if the "show of sparkles" is still visible to the viewer, or the protagonist with the weapon, and they fire through it in mid "beam", then the person in the process of beaming should be in shit creek, like Hayes.
    But obviously the disruption of particles couldn`t be allowed to happen to ship`s Captains and Chief Medical Officers.

11. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Plot armor.

Farscape One and HopefulRomantic like this.
  12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dolim? Oh yeah, what an asshole. And Degra wasn't even the only innocent person he killed. Bastard had his own grandson poisoned - just because of a birth defect that kept the kid out of the military.

Oh well. At least Dolim got his just desserts in the end.

FanST and IMC Headquarters like this.
  13. Delta Vega

It was a great, suitably ruthless end for Dolim.
    Archer standing back, showing out to the charge on the reptilians shoulder, holding up the detonator and
    Kaboom
    Niiice

FanST likes this.
  14. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Degra is a true classic tragic character. He did eventually help Archer to defeat his own people. But, he DID build the weapon and was responsible for the death of millions on Earth. So, dramatically, he HAD to die for his sins. It was written in the stars the first time we meet him and discover his culpability for the death of Trip's sister.

15. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

IDK - It was pretty clearly telegraphed for me:

IE Once Trip Tucker was shown on screen forgiving Degra, I knew 100% Degra was going to be dead by the end of the episode. (It's a well known pulp story trope).

FanST likes this.
  16. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Screencaptioning Addict Premium Member

"Your traitorous blooline will end at the tip of my blade."

Dolim just had to put it over the top...
    So satisfying he got blown to smithereens twice!

FanST likes this.