"The Making of Star Trek"-The Movie

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by E-DUB, Jun 10, 2022.

1. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, nothing to do with ST: TMP but rather a movie or mini-series based (loosely) around the book "The Making of Star Trek". On another board I frequent a poster noted that Paramount has, between the casts of SNW and JJTrek, all the elements in place to do a production of the origins of Trek itself, along the lines of "The Ricardos". Think about it. Anson Mount as Jeffrey Hunter, Rebecca Romijn as Majel, Chris Pine as Shatner, etc. etc. Just cast Roddenberry and you're in business.

Maybe one of you creative geniuses could even whomp up a poster for such an effort.

2. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or, alternatively, An Adventure in Space and Time...and who should be cast as Roddenberry himself? Dorothy Fontana, Gene L. Coon, and so on?

3. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been watching "The Offer" on P+ too. :techman:

4. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I've thought about a limited series about the behind-the-scenes making of STAR TREK. But I'd enlist @Maurice, a fellow screenwriter, and @Harvey, the most thorough researcher on TOS history (and TV in general), to help.

5. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

After watching The Offer, I'd really love to see Paramount do a miniseries on the making of TOS. Something about the movie era could be fun, too, if for no other reason than to have Burn Gorman reprise his amazing performance as Charles Bluhdorn. (I especially want to see him act out Harve Bennett's oft-repeated story of Bluhdorn asking him, in the wake of TMP, "Can you make a better picture for less than 45 fucking million dollars?")

publiusr likes this.
  6. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I'd love to see a scripted drama about the behind the scenes stuff surrounding Trek. Roddenberry doing The Lieutenant and pitching Trek, gearing up for the Pilot with Hunter as Pike, the network turndown and do-over, Harlan Ellison's "City on the Edge..." stuff. There's enough memoirs about what went on that a pretty fleshed out show could be made, though the producers would have to make tough choices about which of the conflicting accounts to follow. I'd prefer a warts and all telling, like Mad Men but on a TV show instead of an advertising agency.

--Alex

publiusr likes this.
  7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

There's some actual evidence for some of the Trek stuff in the Roddenberry papers that could be used to vet some of the accounts. The trades and interviews with non-Trek people Bird worked with are also somewhat revelatory.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    publiusr and Albertese like this.
  8. trynda1701

trynda1701 Commodore Commodore

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of the Universe!
    Hmmm, interesting concept. Considering how many current Trek shows are running today, it might be a possibility.

But to do it justice, it'd have to be a miniseries. The casting of the behind the scenes staff would be interesting to see, plus whoever they show from the actors as well. Plus, do accurate for the time uniforms and props (warts and all), no SNW or JJ uniforms or props (that might be a cost problem). Fan bridge sets abound though, and the James Cawley built Tour sets are officially endorsed, yes?

9. Kaelef

Kaelef Captain Captain

The accurate uniforms and sets have already been done. Check out the work (referenced in another thread here) that OTOY and The Roddenberry Archive have done:

Jules / OTOY, Warped9 and scifieric like this.
  10. Disposable_Ensign

Disposable_Ensign Commander Red Shirt

I think a one-off documentary would be the only hope for that. Maybe on Youtube.

scifieric likes this.