The Longest Journey or Syberia?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Canadave, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know if there are many adventure game fans here (braces self to watch thread crash and burn with no replies) but I thought I'd give this a try anyway.

Currently, GOG.com is having a massive holiday sale, and I was thinking of picking up either Syberia or The Longest Journey, as I wouldn't mind having something long and plot-driven to work my way through. I usually stick to more humourous adventure games (Monkey Island, Space Quest, Sam & Max, etc.) but I'm interesting in giving something more serious a shot. So with that in mind, has anyone here played either? Or preferably both? I just want to know which would be most worth investing time and money in. Thanks. :)

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Why not both? Couldn't hurt :) They both have compelling stories, however, if there's one thing to say is that Syberia ends rather abruptly to make way for the sequel, so you never really get a sense of closure, which I found rather frustrating. I played the french version of the game, which I felt added authenticity to it though. Longest Journey, however has a self-contained story, and it does have a lot of swearing in it and lots of talking, so if you don't mind those, it would be the one to go with.

3. Canadave

^ I don't have a big income, so I do try to limit my spending, so even if the games are on sale, I'd rather just get one. That way I keep myself from doing that thing where you go "But it's so cheap!" and end up buying $50 worth of stuff anyway. ;)

Thanks for the advice, though. I'm definitely leaning TLJ now, but I'll have to think about it some more.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Never played Syberia so I can't comment one way or the other, but I can definatly recommend The Longest Journey; a really high quality throwback to the golden age of adventure games.

5. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Get both :cool:

I've heard nothing but good things about Syberia (I plan on getting it myself someday) and The Longest Journey (and its sequel, Dreamfall) are awesome games.

6. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I've played both and I prefer TLJ.

7. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I've played both games, as well as their sequels, and I think TLJ & Dreamfall slightly edge both Syberias out. Syberia wins in things like graphics quality and voice acting, but I found its puzzles prohibitive, and its story boring. TLJ has engaging characters and plot, but I'm unsure whether you'll find it has aged well.

8. Canadave

Well, I decided to go for TLJ, as it nearly unanimously came out on top. I won't be able to play it until I get home to Ottawa in January, as my parents' computer runs as well as a dead squirrel and doesn't like playing anything with graphics more advanced than isometric 3D.

Anyway, thanks all for the advice, I appreciate it. :)

9. jloretta

jloretta Cadet Newbie

Gosh, this brings back memories. I played TLJ, I must say I love the game. However, I finished the second game, Dreamfall but not the first one. I don't know why I did that. Maybe cos it doesn't have much effect in the storyline. Maybe I should go back continue.

I never play Siberia, so I don't really know. But TLJ was fun for me. Love it