The Librarians--Season Four

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Greg Cox, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Although there's already a Librarians thread in the mainstream TV forum (which is kinda odd since it's definitely a fantasy series),I can't resist pointing out that Season Four debuts Wednesday night with a two-hour season premiere.

FYI: TNT will be airing two eps a week on Wednesday nights for the next three weeks, so set your DVRs accordingly.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  2. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I noticed the show moved from the sunday spot it had the last few years. Good to know about the "double features".

Greg Cox likes this.
  3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started a thread here a week or so ago too.

4. Greg Cox

For once, I don't actually know in advance what happens this season, since I already delivered Book 3 of the novel series, so I'm curious to see where they go this year.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So does that mean you got to see some stuff from other seasons before they started?

6. Greg Cox

Yep. Electric was very good about providing me with synopses of upcoming episodes so I knew what was coming when I was writing the books. And occasionally they would veto an idea because it was too close to something they were already planning. (Egyptian stuff was off-limits because . . . Apep.)

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just wanted to remind everyone who's interested that the season premiere is tonight.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"Without the tree cover, we're toast?" :wtf: Have these writers never been outdoors? It's common knowledge that being under a tree is the most dangerous place to be in a lightning storm, because lightning is attracted to tall things. That was the most alarming misunderstanding of weather safety I've seen onscreen since the scene in Man of Steel where Jonathan Kent told the other drivers to shelter from a tornado under an overpass, which is advice that's likely to get people killed, because an overpass concentrates the winds of a tornado.

And how can they bring the Library of Alexandria into play and not mention Hypatia?

9. Kai "the spy"

Well, despite all of @Christopher 's misgivings about the episodes' flaws, it's as fun as usual. And the tradition of the great guest stars continues, as well.

I'd say it's a given that Nicole will turn up again, but do you guys think we have seen the last of the Order of Shadows? I won't get my hopes up for more Monsignor Vega (as John Noble might not be available), but the sect itself could very well factor into the arc of this season, especially as I can't quite see Nicole as the Big Bad.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  10. Christopher

I'd be surprised if they didn't sign Noble for multiple appearances.

11. Kai "the spy"

Just checked his IMDb profile, and apparently he currently has some films in post-production (so he's mostly done) one voice job announced and one actual role rumored, and then it's just "Legends of Tomorrow" (which is also only a voice job for him), and this. So, yeah, apparently he'd have the time to appear a few more times.

12. Christopher

Well, this is a 12-episode season airing over just 9 weeks, between now and February 7, so it's likely that the entire season has already been filmed.

13. Greg Cox

Oh, yeah, they completed filming on Season Four months ago. (The show generally shoots over the summer.)

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I fell asleep partly through the second episode, but the first one was good.
    The stuff with the Library of Alexandria and Nicole were nice bits of worldbuilding and backstory.
    I really hope this isn't the last we've seen of John Noble, he's a great actor. Even if he isn't back, I think the Order of Shadows probably will be. I love the idea of a group against knowledge as enemies of a team of Librarians.
    I'm also wondering if the stuff about not being able to trust The Library, and it making mistakes will come back into play. The way that was talked about felt like it could be a set up for some big revelation later in the season.

15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

So I watched the first two episodes. This show really has to stop acting like everyone watched the Flynn based TV movies. I haven't seen a second of them, and I never will, so Nicole is completely worthless as a character. I already don't care about Flynn, and I definitely don't care about his past or someone he screwed over because he is an idiot.

Besides there being way too much Flynn, I thought the Santa Claus episode was going to be episode 2, so I'm mostly just disappointed that Bruce Campbell wasn't around in either of these episodes. The first episode had stupid villains (destroying a magic library doesn't destroy technology or knowledge, the Earth certainly wouldn't go back to the dark ages, which is a moronic motivation anyway). The second episode was ok, but nothing special.

I'll keep watching the show because I like the main cast outside of Fynn, and they've implied I might see Bruce Campbell eventually (and since he doesn't do much anymore, there are very few opportunities to see Bruce Campbell in new stuff). Hopefully we'll get better stories as the season goes, and I really hope that Nicole doesn't come back.

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, it was nice seeing the gang again. Everybody was in top form. I like the idea of them being in unknown territory since they're past the point of prophecy and now have to deal with magical issues that nobody has ever encountered before. No more relying on the past experience of others-- they must create the experience that Librarians of the future will rely upon. This is something I thought that Supernatural should have been doing for a few years now, so I'm looking forward to see what they come up with.

The first story about the Library of Alexandria was cool (and it was nice to see John Noble of Fringe and Sleepy Hollow pop up). Alexandria is a fascinating subject and I was a little disappointed that the plot was apparently resolved in one episode-- I thought it was going to be the season arc. And, who knows, maybe it will be, even though it wasn't mentioned in the second episode. And what a shocker to have Flynn's first Guardian turn up in the dungeon-- what a shock that the Library has a dungeon. You'd think if they had a jail it would be a nicer place. Nicole seems to be played by a different actress, and I don't think that the Time Machine incident was actually shown in any of the movies. The episode seemed to cast some doubt on whether the Library is all good and whether Jenkins was right to lock up Nicole. I think we'll return to this theme in later episodes.

The second story about the Greek God Fortuna was pretty decent, but not Earth shattering. Gambling and horse racing is not a particularly interesting subject for me, but there were a lot of good character moments. The best was when Cassandra broke the curse of bad luck with her mathematical genius. And Jacob has made peace with the fact that he will never be allowed to get any credit for his work as a Librarian. Meanwhile, Flynn is working to become the new Judson, and Eve will become the new Charlene-- this seems to be another thread that will wind its way through the season, and is probably connected to whether the "institution" of the Library is essentially good or not.
    And yet it's the motivation of a number of real-world groups.

17. Greg Cox

Yeah, they've definitely recast Nicole. I'm assuming the original actress wasn't available and/or interested. To refresh your memory, the first movie ended with Flynn and Nicole rushing off to deal with the (unseen) Time Machine crisis, simply to imply that they would have many more exciting adventures to come. (The new ep actually did a pretty good job of replacing the actresses in the flashback to the movie. I wonder if they shot new footage or just used computer-trickery to switch out the faces?)

By the time the second movie rolled around, Nicole was gone without much in the way of explanation. This is the first we've heard of what actually happened to her. The movies mostly went the James Bond/Captain Kirk route of giving Flynn a new love interest for each film, who had usually vanished by the time the next film came around.

18. Christopher

It was just one shot where she took her motorcycle helmet off, I think, so I'm sure they just reshot it with Nichols in a duplicate costume.

Greg Cox likes this.
  19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to Wikipedia Nicole was played by Sonya Walger (Penny from Lost) in the first movie, her IMDB entry has two movies down as filming and two in post production, so it looks like she might have been to busy to come back. The new Nicole is Rachel Nichols (Keira from Continuum and the Orion Gaila in first Kelvinverse Trek movie), who I am shocked to realize I did not recognize.

20. Greg Cox

Nichols was also a regular on ALIAS in its last few seasons.