THE LAST SHIP Season 2 - discussion, spoilers and general mayhem

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral2, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

It's Baaaaaaaack!

The best Star Trek on TV substitute ever returns to the airwaves on Sunday, June 21 on TNT. Eric Dane is back! Rhona Mitra is back! Adam Baldwin is back! The Nathan James is back!

This season we'll find out if the crew can get the ship back from the hijackers, if the Captain will choose his family or his mission, if the ship will be stopped by evil Aussies in a submarine!

And maybe, just maybe, The Powers That Be will see fit to acknowledge the fact that the Nathan James is a GUIDED MISSILE DESTROYER and maybe launch two whole missiles this year! Wouldn't that be nice? Hmmm?

But I'll be watching either way. What say you, Little Tall?

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The first season was a really fun guilty pleasure, so definitely looking forward to the next.

3. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Think it starts a week on sunday here, but the tivo box has picked it up. (The dvd/blu-ray of the first series is also out here next month)

I liked the first series so I'll be tuning in.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

It's "season", you untrustworthy foreigner! You liked the first season!

... Sorry, just getting into the spirit of the show. USA! USA! USA! :p

5. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's "season", you untrustworthy foreigner! You liked the first season!

... Sorry, just getting into the spirit of the show. USA! USA! USA! :p[/QUOTE]

I blame lack of sleep:lol:

I do tend to use season more nowadays but every so often it just slips in there.

6. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Between The Last Ship, Battlebots, and The Next Food Network Star, I am really going to enjoy Sunday nights this summer!

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh yes! This show defined my summer last year, and after having just re-watched the first season within the previous week, I am pumped for this!

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I'll definitely be back, fun series. And they got some great access from the Navy, it's very spot-on with most of what they show.

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Well that first couple of hours was truly satisfying.

Captain got his family back, the cowboy got his doctor back, the crew got their ship back, and TNT got its awesome back.

It amazes me how much infantry fighting was required to achieve all that. It would be interesting to see how the Navy would use that for recruiting: "Join the Navy - BE THE ARMY!"

Alfred Woodard did a great job being a dedicated evil dictator. Just the right amount "I'm doing evil for the greater good!"

I'm giving the premiere a solid A.

10. Phantom

Phantom Captain

Won't be able to see it until it comes out some time next year on DVD (no cable or subsciption streaming).

I did "pop my cherry" on the show by marathoning S1 on the recommendation of a friend. LOVED it! The only thing I didn't like very well was the obvious Tea Party paranoid idea of "the ehvul Lib'ral gov't" (complete with black leader) conspiracy to off the normal folks/"useless eaters".

Given how our society really is right now, it would have made a ton more sense for them to be Koch-style corporate types.

But I still want to see what happens.

11. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Really a great show last night... I was very happy about the two-hour time frame. That way it did justice to the story line.

All due credit to Adam Baldwin too... Watching him channel his "inner Jayne" was a delight...

12. The Wormhole

I don't know. Sure it was entertaining, but it didn't seem to grab me quite as much as I was expecting. Sure, it kicked ass, but it didn't seem as edge of your seat as it did last year. Maybe I was building the anticipation up too high and could only be disappointed? Then again, the storyline and last year's cliffhanger only had so many ways they could play out. In fact, what interested me the most was the ending, now that Mama Granderson is defeated I'd really like to know where things will go from there.

And it sure is obvious that even though the storyline picks up immediately where season 1 finished off, there were in fact several months between the filming. Most obvious Lt. Greene has apparently found time to grow some facial hair and Chandler's kids have had a bit of a growth spurt. With the kids this is unavoidable, just grin and pretend they were always this size. But really, couldn't the guy who plays Greene have shaved to look like he did in the finale?

And while we're nitpicking, where is the Nathan James's helicopter? The crew were assembled in a helicopter bay without a chopper being held in it, and it couldn't be in the other bay since that's Dr. Scott's lab. And in the S1 finale they said they had no fuel to fly it around, so where was it.

So, all the background material I find online (like Wikipedia or a few news sites talking about the show lately) claim the Master Chief's first name is Hugh. But Chandler kept referring to him as "Russ" around his family. To me, Russ would be an abbreviation of Russell, so where do you get Russ out of Hugh?

13. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Same here. Looking forward to S2.

14. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Standard Navy practice is to send any embarked aircraft to the beach before the ship enters port. It probably had just enough fuel to get to an air base and land. After that, all Mama Granderson's boys had to do was not refuel it and hold the crew. They might have tried mention that somehow, but there's no deep mystery and it's not necessarily a flub.

15. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Great way to bring in Season 2! I enjoyed it

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well they sure wrapped up THAT storyline quick! I thought for sure this was something that was going to play out for most of the season, but nope, within the space of the season premiere they take back the ship, rescue everyone, kill all the bad guys, and put a stop to the senator's entire new world order.

I can't really complain much though, since it did make for a very fast moving and entertaining two hours. And of course it's still just as cool as ever watching Chandler and his crew kicking ass and just generally being smarter and more efficient than everyone else. :)

17. Gaith

Hasn't the helo already winked in and out of existence several times over the course of the series so far?

But more importantly, WHERE WAS THE DOG during the whole shipboard crisis. I want confirmation that the DOG is okay, dammit! :p

No idea, but he definitely gets the Numbnuts of the Week award for going out in his NWUs in broad daylight. Did he even check the house for civilian clothes?! :rolleyes:

... Anyhow, fun premiere; I too was surprised Gunderson isn't sticking around as a season-long Big Bad. Line of the night: "I didn't come all this way to die in Baltimore." :rommie:

18. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

There you are, Gaith. I was getting worried...

19. The Wormhole

Obviously the dog has a hiding spot no one can find, not even state troopers it seems. Or maybe the dog spent all of season 1 learning to fly the chopper, and was hoarding fuel. I don't know, he buried some in the yard or something.* So he refueled the chopper and was flying around Baltimore, maybe even landed and rescued children or something.

Yeah, that was awesome.

*Yes, I know I said "buried in the yard" despite the fact a ship at sea doesn't actually have a yard.

20. Gaith

Hm, that didn't even occur to me. I guess it could be read that way, but even though I now see it, it isn't so blatant or undeniably deliberate as to offend me.

Oh, I'll be around wherever outlaws rule discussion forums, wherever innocent Trekkies are afraid to walk the streets, wherever a BBSer cannot live in simple dignity, wherever a geekdom cry out for justice.