The Klingons and Starfleet

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by John Stefan, Feb 20, 2022.

1. John Stefan

John Stefan Guest

Why where the Klingons and Starfleet always at war? I look forward to some replies.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Cultural and political differences.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    One was dating the other's cousin.

4. trynda1701

trynda1701 Commodore Commodore

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of the Universe!
    Because when Starfleet ships were on patrol, Klingon ships were always on the starboard bow, impeding course changes and Federation exploration!

5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a decades-long Cold War in space, with some occasional armed flare-ups.
    The Klingons had a warlike, expansionist empire. And when that encroached on Federation space, the Federation wasn't going to passively watch as the Klingons took over their worlds.

Kor

6. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

Take a look at the pilot for Enterprise and you'll find a few answers there. Then we hope you'll return to the thread and contribute with your own thoughts. Enjoy!

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I look forward to you actually replying to your own posts rather than just making them and then not actually contributing to them.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  8. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Report and move on, dear sir.

Personally, I think it’s not a good look if one has been a forum member for about a week and has managed to accrue one follower… and it’s T’Bonz.

Ssosmcin likes this.
  9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

My response wasn't meant as negative, or something I felt needed to be reported. I sincerely want this person to contribute more to the forum than just making random question posts. I would like their take on the questions they are asking, or at least more than just 'fuck shit' as a response. But that's just me.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  10. HopefulRomantic

Gentle people, our OP has been...taken care of. Back to the thread, such as it is!

The Klingons and Starfleet were always at war so the immortal John Colicos could give us the incomparable Kor. (raises a tankard of blood wine in salute)

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suspect that relations between the Klingons and the Federation would have gone a lot more smoothly if Starfleet had a "Vulcan hello" policy.

One might say, this would lead to a lot more violence and bloodshed, but I think it'd have the opposite effect. The Klingon Empire would admire a Starfleet that had this kind of guts.

Remember the wishy-washy Admiral Brett Anderson from DSC? That's exactly the kind of attitude that Klingons hate. If the first Starfleet ship to encounter the Klingons had just said fuck it and opened fire, that would be an authentically Klingon attitude. And they would definitely respect that.

JRob94, DarKush and Shamrock Holmes like this.
  12. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Commodore Commodore

The first Starfleet ship to encounter the Klingons went on an incredibly dangerous mission to rescue a Klingon from a Suliban helix despite being outnumbered by a technologically superior enemy force with assistance from the future, and in doing so exposed a plot to drive the Klingons into civil war. The Klingons didn't seem impressed.

Though I do think that a Starfleet that behaved exactly like Klingons would've gotten more respect from the Klingons. Trouble is that they would've also ended up in a fight with them 100% of the time instead of just some of the time.

JRob94, Richard S. Ta and somebuddyX like this.
  13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is exactly the problem: Starfleet rescued Klaang. They didn't let him die in battle. No wonder the Klingons were pissed!

14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The problem is that this scenario was not at all how the audience was meant to take it.

15. dregj

dregj Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I blame stupid sexy flanders

16. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mean, one is a peaceful democratic body with romantic notions of exploration and the other is a violent empire long dominated by their warrior caste. So...

...They're still alive, right? I'd hate to think I joined a forum from a horror movie...

DarKush and Richard S. Ta like this.
  17. HopefulRomantic

We do not speak of it.

The better to keep our members...in line. :evil:
    (cue foreboding music)

;)

JRob94 and Richard S. Ta like this.
  18. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

Greener pastures, working on something great.
    Enterprise laid out the backstory quite clear.
    • Klingons wanted honourable deaths and tended to bully less advanced cultures. There were preoccupied with a number of other species, and Earth wasn’t on their radar.
    • Starfleet always rescued Klingons instead of letting them have the death they desire. And helped out the cultures the Klingons pushed around. Both can be seen as interference from the Klingon’s point of view.
    • Klingons tried legal means to deal with Starfleet, seeing them more as nuisance and not worth their attention. And when that didn’t work, they sent bounty hunters after them. And when that didn’t work, they tried to make Klingon augments. And that last one backfired on them, to the point that they actually needed the help of Starfleet.
    • Presumably - some time after Enterprise ended - Starfleet violated the security of Klingons or disrupted the systems of their battlecruisers in a significant way. And that’s seen as an act of war by the Klingons; it may have happened enough times that the Klingons got fed up and decided to take action as the deterrents to keep them away weren’t working. They didn’t follow through on that threat of war with the Xyrillians (at least based on what’s seen on screen), but may have with Starfleet. The very first episode of Discovery offered a good example of this.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Klingons really like war.

20. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The humans and their lackeys have no sense of honor.