"The Jem'hadar" continuity error?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by hxclespaulplayer, May 14, 2018.

1. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Captain Captain

Why is the Commander of the Odyssey in the middle seat? If not that's a different bridge layout for Galaxy class. Judging from some of the minor details, I'd say that the bridge layout is different because they're in the Odyssey's Battle Bridge rather than the main bridge.

2. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I think when they were producing "THE JEM'HADAR", STAR TREK: GENERATIONS was being filmed and that bridge set was unavailable.

In universe, there's nothing to discount the possibility of a different bridge layout for the same class ship. Look at the Sutherland (TNG's "Redemption II") and the Prometheus (DS9's "SECOND SIGHT"), both Nebula class ships.

It could very well be, since both Galaxy and Nebula class ships use pretty much the same saucer design, that the bridge is a replaceable and interchangeable module. That would definitely explain why the bridge looks so different in GENERATIONS.

(Interestingly enough, it looks VERY similar to the layout in "Yesterday's Enterprise".)

3. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And Alan Oppenheimer, the best Dr. Rudy Wells from The Six Million Dollar Man, is sporting a rug as Captain Kehoe I believe! The USS Oddysey being the first Galaxy class ship that we see destroyed in the Trek franchise!
    JB

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

5. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The bridge modules are interchangeable and can be swapped out at a starbase, the Odyssey may well have opted for another design in order to carry out different duties as opposed to the E-D. The bridge had a three chair layout, in a different configuration with Captain Keogh's chair being further forward that the other two seats.

In the real world the bridge set used was the same one DS9 had for the Saratoga, Norkova and Prometheus.

Levi likes this.
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

But isn't it totally different to the Enterprise's battle bridge too?

7. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I think the set was the Nebula class bridge, seen earlier in season two, "Second Sight".

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was also the Saratoga's bridge in Emissary. And later was used for the Romulan Warbird's bridge in The Die is Cast, and on Voyager became the Prometheus bridge and the Equinox. IIRC, the set started as the Excelsior's bridge in TUC.

9. Gavin70

Gavin70 Commander Red Shirt

I would imagine that as many aspects as possible of a starship, including the bridge, are modular in design and can be easily switched for alternate formats as needed.

10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...No doubt normally just like the studio set - one console wedge at a time. Why change the outer workings let alone the entire Deck 1?

That Keogh would even have been on the bridge, any bridge, of his ship can be debated. He's the DS9 equivalent of Picard, a heroic and somewhat arrogant boss man who micromanages everything and personally saves the day - for all we know, he has just rushed to Main Engineering along with his hero cast in order to technobabble his way to victory. Or is bravely assisting the wounded at Phaser Control, or holding together the Primary Power Coupling with his bare hands. Commanding the battle can be done over a commbadge connection if need be, a bit like how Kirk commands the fight of "Arena" from the surface.

Timo Saloniemi

11. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Intriguingly it was only after recently reading an article about the various Enterprise bridges over at EAS that I realized the so-called "side stations" on the Yesterday's Enterprise bridge are just straightforward wall replacements for the usual 'bridge lockers' and only look more sophisticated than that because of the dark lighting obscuring their true nature. The same wall sections are seen on the regular lit bridge set in Future Imperfect, Parallels and All Good Things, and don't look nearly as radical as they appear in Yesterday's Enterprise. Lighting is everything, smoke and mirrors. ;)

Of course, the versions seen in Generations were actual fully indented workstations ala the ones at the back of the bridge :D

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Lance and Savage Dragon like this.
  13. saladdays

saladdays Captain Captain

Also the Ent-D destroyed from the Borg-ravaged universe in "Parallels," so that makes at least the fourth.

Lance likes this.
  14. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

The D was also destroyed in Time Squared, so it's actually the fifth.:lol:

Lance likes this.
  15. Farscape One

And in the series finale, the past and present Enterprise-D were destroyed, with the future one destroyed just as the anomaly collapsed.

So 3 more times, making 8 times. Also, three additional times in "Cause And Effect" that we saw, after the one time mentioned in an earlier post. So she was destroyed 11 times.

Those Galaxy-class ships are pretty sturdy, aren't they?

16. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Someone sneezing in the wrong place would probably destroy them as well :lol:

Paul Weaver likes this.
  17. CommanderTrip

CommanderTrip Captain Captain

The ENT-D also got destroyed once or twice in "Timescape".

But only for a quick second......

;)

18. Farscape One

Good point. It blew up once, then space/time pressed "rewind"...

To be kind.

19. SpyOne

SpyOne Captain Captain

Curiously, I don't recall Picard ever acting as you describe, but I can recall Sisko doing that on several occasions. Maybe not the firing phasers part, but I think we saw Sisko working in Main Engneering on the Defiant more times than we saw Picard in the room on the Enterprise.

20. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I always found that the Oyssey's command seat looked more like Voyager's bench command seats, and I think the perspective of Keogh being more forward than his first officer was just an illusion created by the camera angle.