• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

The inconsistent helm and navigation consoles of the Galileo Shuttlecraft in TOS

I believe it was a "swing" set that was assembled when needed and otherwise dismantled and stored. Set details change sometimes because bits are borrowed as needed for other sets and sometimes don't get returned.
Thank you
 
813399064_1405228378231405_3837510813894932735_n.jpg
HELP!!!!! PLEASE!!!!
I am scratch building the TOS Galileo shuttlecraft interior in 1:6 scale and I am not happy with the superficial designs of the consoles (60s round analog dials, blind screen etc.). So I would like to build a "Galileo VI" with some amendments. As you can see on the photo attached here I left most of the design of the helm (left console, as it was seen in The Immunity Syndrome) ) intact, with one exception: the round dial.
I would like to ask you what decal could be placed there where the red interrogation mark is? Ther are some on the Enterprise bridge that might be suitable, but which would make sense? BTW I think that on the right side the navigation display would be useful. And maybe on the middle console the deviation plotter as seen in The Galileo Seven when Latimer gazed at it although it was nowhere to be seen in the whole interior of the shuttle.
Any more observations and suggestions very very welcome! Thank you very much.
 
You can see on the left side the little door handle that opened the entire face and allowed you to swap out the paper dials.
Small versions of that are found in trailers...a standard battery driven clock movement marks on a ribbon/scroll...looking like seismograph paper.

Paper disks also are used for reefer units, DETEX watch locks, etc.
 
HELP!!!!! PLEASE!!!!
I would love to see your images, but none of them are showing up for me. Even when I paste one into a browser manually, I get a "Bad URL hash" message. On TrekBBS, they all look like this in my browsers (both Edge and Firefox):

Screenshot-2026-09-23-123125.png
 
Last edited:
What's odd is how fast Kirk and Mendez would run out of oxygen.
You're right; two hours of oxygen doesn't make sense considering that the shuttlecraft should also act as a life pod. Obviously, the two hour limit was used as a plot point to ratchet up the stress.
Anything that happens in that starbase shuttle need not be held up to the reality stick. Remember, Commodore Mendez's presence aboard the Enterprise was an illusion, which means it must have been so at least as far back as the craft's departure. (I've always found it disturbing, and not super-plausible, that the Keeper could project as far as Starbase 11, but that's what the story is selling us.) If the Talosians can make Kirk see a false José in the shuttle, they can make him (and Spock) perceive a false metric of remaining oxygen in order to avoid delays to their plan.

IIRC, the first officer seems genuinely concerned about this turn of events. So it becomes interesting to think that the Talosians were perhaps controlling the narrative in some ways that even Spock did not realize at the time.
 
I would love to see your images, but none of them are showing up for me. Even when I paste one into a browser manually, I get a "Bad URL hash" message. On TrekBBS, they all look like this in my browsers (both Edge and Firefox):

Screenshot-2026-09-23-123125.png
I would love to see your images, but none of them are showing up for me. Even when I paste one into a browser manually, I get a "Bad URL hash" message. On TrekBBS, they all look like this in my browsers (both Edge and Firefox):

Screenshot-2026-09-23-123125.png
Hi Just a Bill. Thank you for your interest in my project. I‘d be happy to help you out of the problem with the non existing image, I really worked hard to put them in this thread. I just posted it again, at the bottom of this page. Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Anything that happens in that starbase shuttle need not be held up to the reality stick. Remember, Commodore Mendez's presence aboard the Enterprise was an illusion, which means it must have been so at least as far back as the craft's departure. (I've always found it disturbing, and not super-plausible, that the Keeper could project as far as Starbase 11, but that's what the story is selling us.) If the Talosians can make Kirk see a false José in the shuttle, they can make him (and Spock) perceive a false metric of remaining oxygen in order to avoid delays to their plan.

IIRC, the first officer seems genuinely concerned about this turn of events. So it becomes interesting to think that the Talosians were perhaps controlling the narrative in some ways that even Spock did not realize at the time.
If the Talosians can project illusions that far, then why the need for the plot with Spock at all? Just have everyone see what they want to see while they unknowingly drop Pike off on Talos then go home again like it never happened.
 
If the Talosians can project illusions that far, then why the need for the plot with Spock at all? Just have everyone see what they want to see while they unknowingly drop Pike off on Talos then go home again like it never happened.
It's a fair question, and one I can't answer. Trek often indulges itself in broad, seemingly unrestricted magical powers dressed up in a sciency-sounding miniskirt. Talosians, Platonians, Thasians, Trelane, the Beta XII‑A entity, the shore-leave world, Sylvia and Korob.... They all magically do whatever the plot demands, whether it's controlling minds and bodies, transmuting matter at will, repeatedly healing mortal wounds back to 100% function at the drop of a hat, flying an entire planet around at starship speeds (somehow making sharp turns without ripping its atmosphere off or destabilizing its geology), spinning papier-mâché mannequins until they turn into sophisticated androids, and whatever else.

Somehow I accept most of it. But most of the time I try not to peek too hard behind the curtain, because sometimes there's just no credible way to "science the magic."
 
It's a fair question, and one I can't answer. Trek often indulges itself in broad, seemingly unrestricted magical powers dressed up in a sciency-sounding miniskirt. Talosians, Platonians, Thasians, Trelane, the Beta XII‑A entity, the shore-leave world, Sylvia and Korob.... They all magically do whatever the plot demands, whether it's controlling minds and bodies, transmuting matter at will, repeatedly healing mortal wounds back to 100% function at the drop of a hat, flying an entire planet around at starship speeds (somehow making sharp turns without ripping its atmosphere off or destabilizing its geology), spinning papier-mâché mannequins until they turn into sophisticated androids, and whatever else.

Somehow I accept most of it. But most of the time I try not to peek too hard behind the curtain, because sometimes there's just no credible way to "science the magic."
Yes. You could add Gary Mitchell and Apollo to the list, and I like them all.

As a devoted '70s fan, I'd sometimes feel a little cringe of embarrassment when an interviewee or convention speaker boasted that Star Trek was the one sci-fi show that took science seriously. It was all NASA consultants you know, and that's what made us special. We weren't like Lost in Space or Space: 1999.

But that was well-intentioned baloney. Our show's IQ points were never vested in physics. Even Starfleet technology was mostly wishful thinking, made more respectable by its internal consistency. And the main characters were smartly written. Beyond that, the show was often about something. It had a point or a moral.

Those three things: the serious tone, sharply written characters, and meaning in the stories, are why Star Trek plays like a cross between Forbidden Planet and The Twilight Zone. That's a fine heritage.
 
Anything that happens in that starbase shuttle need not be held up to the reality stick. Remember, Commodore Mendez's presence aboard the Enterprise was an illusion, which means it must have been so at least as far back as the craft's departure. (I've always found it disturbing, and not super-plausible, that the Keeper could project as far as Starbase 11, but that's what the story is selling us.) If the Talosians can make Kirk see a false José in the shuttle, they can make him (and Spock) perceive a false metric of remaining oxygen in order to avoid delays to their plan.

IIRC, the first officer seems genuinely concerned about this turn of events. So it becomes interesting to think that the Talosians were perhaps controlling the narrative in some ways that even Spock did not realize at the time.

Nice comments. I always wondered if Kirk later found it spooky that he was actually alone in the shuttle the whole time.
 
If the Talosians can project illusions that far, then why the need for the plot with Spock at all? Just have everyone see what they want to see while they unknowingly drop Pike off on Talos then go home again like it never happened.
My interpretation was that Spock already had the plan once he heard the news and the Talosians reached out. As the Keeper notes at the end that Kirk was extremely strong willed so even with illusion Kirk would still seek out answers. So, the plot was to reduce risk to Spock, aid Pike, and convince Kirk.
 
Here is another try of posting this image of my 1:6 scale project draft of the Galilo interior.

Basically I mirrored the left console so I have the right console more elaborate than what was to be seen in TOS, mere a blind screen with some flashing then. In TOS the consoles have round dials, not very ingenious compared to what we see on th Enterprise. So I deleted the round dials, instead I'd love something that we see also on the bridge. For the right consol I think it would be appropriate to have a navigation display. But what decal to be put on the left console (see the white square with the "?")?
And then the middle console base. Latimer looked down to the deviation plotter we never see in the Galileo interior, just one glance at the plotter lent from Scotty's station on the Enterprise bridge. I think it would be logical to put that decal at the base. There will be still some black space down there, so what would be - again - "logical"?

Thank you for your thoughts, Just an Bill!!
814471094_1412002790887297_8964274826851766650_n.jpg
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top