The good about the bad episodes

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JesterFace, Jan 5, 2017.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the candle was perfectly last though. ;)

2. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

For a former kid Zorro viewer 'Sub Rosa' can be interesting, what is Don Diego up to... But other than that, keep away.

3. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

I can't watch Masks or SubRosa.
    I just can't.
    I'd like it if someone could tell me one redeeming quality of either of them.
    I just can't think of anything. I think the writers filed away the bad episodes and then pulled those two out and used them later, maybe done week when a lot of the writers had colds or the flu or something.

4. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I pretty much find the first 2 seasons difficult to watch... the 3rd season and those that follow are so much more compelling, with actors getting comfortable in their roles and COLLARS on mid to upper level officer uniforms. :)

5. woodstock

woodstock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Beverly's reaction to getting felt up by a ghost is pretty good.

6. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

...and now I have to flush that image from my mind AGAIN. <sigh>

7. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I find it difficult, if not IMPOSSIBLE to not find something of redeeming value in each TNG and TOS episode.

Even episodes of TNG I love to rail on I generally enjoy for some reason or other. Even though it's not my favorite series overall, there was some special magic to TNG that makes it eminently rewatchable.

Sebastian STR likes this.
  8. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? Sub Rosa is great! It's probably the TNG with the most unintentionally funny scenes of all the TNG episodes. Beverly falls in love with a space ghost. Fog on the bridge. Beverly's grandma's corpse comes to life. Did I mention the fog on the bridge? Knee slappers all around.

There. Is. Nothing. Good. About. DARK. PAGE. That one's a stinker through and through. Lwaxana Troi sad and moody and moping for 42 minutes... oh that's rotten and barely re-watchable. The only saving grace is the small role that Kirsten Dunst has.

I love the bad episodes! Almost as much as the good ones.

Yeah it actually took me a couple decades to warm up to Masks. It has a very odd atmosphere. It's a strange episode. Last time I saw it, I genuinely enjoyed it. Here's a suggestion: focus on Spiner and the fun he is having with all these characters.

xanne likes this.
  9. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

I think those episodes may the only TNG episodes I haven't watched all the way through!

10. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love "Sub Rosa", it's a brilliant comedy. Don't forget the terrible accents on the planet!

I try to get into "Masks" on the same so-bad-it's-good basis, but I just don't feel that one, I can't make it through on rewatch. For me, it's stuck at a level where it's definitely really bad, but not quite SO bad that it reaches funny.

11. woodstock

woodstock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I always thought Masks was to showcase Brent Spiner's talents as everyone geared up for post-TNG careers. I really thought he'd make great villains and have the most successful career, but nothing ever happened except Independence Day.

12. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

There is one episode I don't know if I can say anything good about.

And that episode is "Shades Of Gray".

13. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

How about: Thank God it wasn't a two-parter.

14. Armus

The best way to watch that episode is to watch it as if it's a youtube compilation of Riker's most exciting moments.

[​IMG]

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe this is more of a negative but I mean it as a compliment but I consider Shades of Grey Pulaski's finest hour. She was a great doctor and this episode showed it.

Armus likes this.
  16. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

I too hate SubRosa!
    But for some, I think a redeeming scene might be Beverly getting it on with the ghost.
    I guess if one is inclined, they could imagine her naked too.

17. Armus

I know I've seen every TNG episode from Seasons 2-6 but there are some real stinkers from season 1 and season 7 that I still may have never watched fully...
    1. Lonely Among Us
    2. Home Soil
    3. The Geordi Mom episode
    4. Sub Rosa
    5. Masks
    6. Dark Page
    7. Force of Nature
    8. The Holodeck Train episode

Lonely Among Us has the aliens that were made into Galoob action figures. That's a positive!

[​IMG]

18. Hippocrates Noah

Hippocrates Noah Commander Red Shirt

Code Of Honor was pretty bad but at least it had an epic catfight. I think the original script called for them to mud wrestle.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

There are merits in many "bad" episodes, however you define that. Masks, for example, is in my top 30 episodes, and Home Soil is one of the top episodes of season 1.

From some actually bad episodes...Off the top of my head..

1) Royale: The 5 minutes where they explore the hotel and find Colonel Ritchie are great.
    2) Justice: Excellent summary and speech by Captain Picard at the end of the episode.
    3) Subrosa: Photography and lighting are excellent
    4) Code of Honor: Looked like they put some money into to demonstrate the backing this show had from the studio.

20. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoy "Masks", actually. It essentially deals with mythology, and I have always loved mythology. Plus, it showcases Brent Spiner's versatility as an actor.

xanne and RAMA like this.
  21. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

I thought the makeup and set design in Masks was pretty cool even if the episode was ludicrous.