The Earth's Sixth Mass Extinction... is looming

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Gary7, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

We've all heard fragments of news items here and there touting one species or another heading to extinction, about coral reefs dying off, plastic islands in the oceans... And when you start to add them all up, it's horrifying to consider what we are facing. The Earth has had 5 mass extinctions that we know of, all instigated by the course of natural events, spread out across long periods of time. But the Sixth is an exception... in that it is being caused by one species on the planet: human beings.

CNN: Vanishing - The Sixth Mass Extinction.

Why did I post it in this sub forum? Because the only chance we have of stopping this is accepting the proven bio/climate science proclaiming this problem and employing new technologies to combat it. But that won't be successful without political alignment. And with a man like Scott Pruitt being head of the EPA, a known anti-climate change truther with an overt vendetta to eradicate nearly everything the EPA has been doing to address this impending environmental disaster, it's going to be a tough battle. Hopefully we can combat this sinister adversary of the American public with the tide of an election change this year.

2. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Stupidity and greed vs Common sense.. eh, nope no chance, in my lifetime things will probably start to get very bad and I don't want to think about what the future generations have to deal with.

3. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Yep. Too many stupid and greedy deniers now hold positions of power in the world's largest economy (currently). Things will likely get a lot worse before the next generation take over - hopefully, that won't be too late to turn things around.

4. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pffft. Human beings have ONLY ourselves to blame. We deserve to be extinct. We don't deserve the Earth. Our species is unworthy. The evidence is everywhere. Enjoy what you can, today!

5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Whatever we do to combat this problem will always be, too little, too late. Many civilizations have caused their own destruction, sometimes with a little help from outsiders. We will have the honor of being the first and the last to cause that extinction on a worldwide scale.

6. Asbo Zaprudder

...on this planet. It's very, very quiet out there - perhaps this is the Great Filter.

7. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

ALF likes this.
  8. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

It is not just about greed. It is about survival. It is about feeding your family. It is about what you need now.

In a hundred years, we will still be here.

mos6507 likes this.
  9. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

You think you'll still be alive in a hundred years?

10. Lakenheath 72

We as in humans. Humans will be still around in a hundred years.

11. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

Our grandchildren hopefully will be

12. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Perhaps the inevitable long-term effect of life is its own destruction. A virus kills the very body that allows it to exist. We're nothing but viruses on a very large scale.

13. Lakenheath 72

Asbo Zaprudder likes this.
  14. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

This is the first time I was exposed to that suggestion.

[​IMG]

15. Asbo Zaprudder

To be fair, other animals such as locusts, rabbits and mice breed uncontrolably if there is no predator or disease to cull them.

16. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

But isn't the development of consciousness the reason why we're now able to rapidly destroy life on this planet? It is just another form of the same phenomenon. Life has existed on this planet for about three billion years and now thanks to us, it is on the brink of extinction, after only TWO CENTURIES of industrialization. At that scale, it is equivalent to the speed of light!

mos6507 likes this.
  17. Lakenheath 72

We have accelerated the extinction of many lifeforms in the past two centuries; however, we have been bringing animals to extinction for far longer. For instance, the Roman Empire was responsible for the extinction of several species, as they were used for the gladiatorial games.

18. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I am willing to bet that the Romans were rank amateurs compared to us. Even if they wanted to they couldn't have made extinct as many species in their entire reign as we do in only one year, likely less. The oceans are dying slowly, of acidification mostly and the level of corruption of our system, that prioritizes money making over everything even our collective survival prevents us from doing anything about it. You'll never make joe-stinking-rich care that he's destroying the planet, no matter how loud you say it.

19. Lakenheath 72

I did not think I was making a comparison. I thought I was pointing out that we have been actively wrecking our planet for a lot longer periord than two centuries.

As long as people have to make a choice, between taking care of themselves and their families and the environment, they will always choose the former. The rich set the setting and everyone else plays a role in the drame.

20. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I find myself in complete agreement, on this score.
    Challenge the unwashed masses to do without air conditioning, when needed, as its use may accelerate Global Warming, lets say ... how many actually would do it? None, more than likely ... or next to none. Everybody's alright with recycling and helping the environment in other "normal" ways, like choosing this brand over that, but when it comes to sacrificing a luxury, or one that's perceived as next to a necessity, they're not going to do it. They just won't and they don't give a shit what the consequences are -- especially, if they're "environmental."