The companion returns!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by BeatleJWOL, Nov 28, 2014.

1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Still not yet confirmed (I mean, this IS only the Mirror), but it appears all you Clara fans have something to look forward to.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-whos-jenna-coleman-not-4710238

:devil:

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's weird that they just tagged his age on the end there like it mattered.

My first thought, straight from my heart's wishlist is that it was Martha was coming back.

#### off Clara, we know you don't want to be there, so just go.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Really conflicted about this (if true). On the one hand I absolutely loved Clara this season and enjoyed the heck out of pretty much every scene she was in.... but on the other hand I was really looking forward to seeing a new companion next season and exploring a whole new dynamic between them and the Doctor.

And I'm really hoping this isn't truly a last minute decision that Moffat has to bend over backwards to accommodate, and that they really have to rework all those scripts. I'd hate for this to be a repeat of Season 7a, where we were all primed to say goodbye to the Ponds and yet they kept coming back again and again.

4. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I keep imagining they are trying to make her the modern Sarah Jane Smith level companion. Even that 50th Anniverary teaser trailer last year has an figure of Clara looking into a crystal ball with the Third Doctor fencing with the Master in the TARDIS, with Clara's reflection being Sarah Jane.

5. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All the tabloids here do that kind of crap.

It's tedious and annoying.

6. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Leaving aside the fact that it comes from the sodding Mirror, that's the part that confirms it's all bollocks to me. (Which doesn't mean that we're not going to be stuck with her a bit longer, just that they're not going to scrap half a series on a last minute whim.)

7. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

Clara has grown on me. Used to dislike her but she's come on a lot. :)

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The sad part is, I can see this happening since as evidenced with Amy and Rory, Moffat doesn't seem to know when to say good-bye. I'm fine with Clara coming back for Christmas, give her a chance to have one final adventure and all, but that really should be her last episode. Her story is done, rammed into the ground, and finished. There's nowhere left to go, aside from an epilogue explaining what she's up to now and possibly that she's pregnant with Danny's child or something. There certainly isn't any reason to bring her back even for half a season.

9. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Isn't that more or less what happened in Series 4, with Donna vs. Penny?

10. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There might have been one script worked on, certainly not half a series.

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I could see Moffat and his writers reworking the existing Series 8 scripts to accommodate Clara but not scrapping them entirely. It wouldn't be much different than Series 7B where scripts were written for Victorian Clara and had to be reworked for Modern Clara.

12. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno....

I loved Jenna's acting this season. I didn't really like her character though.... Hm....

13. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope this is true!! :)

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

If she's sticking around (which I have no problem with), then I hope they resolve it in The Christmas Special, instead of having another Goodbye Forever, and then another return. I was in no hurry for Amy and Rory to leave, but, their repeated Leavings (Or seeming like they should be leaving) became too much

15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh. She's become my second most hated companion during the events of the last series (after Mel, although honestly as a character Clara is probably worse, Mel is just more irritating) and I was really hoping that the Christmas special would be the last we'd see of her. Still, maybe with Danny dead she won't be as bad as she was in series 8. I liked her well enough in series 7, so hopefully she's more like that now that her annoying boyfriend is gone.

16. Guy Gardener

Her next boyfriend is probably going to be just as wet.

Actually that would be hilarious.

She keeps getting new boyfriends who keep dying everytime the Doctor shows up.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Danny didn't help matters, and I do feel he was a low point of season 8, but the problems didn't start or end with him. The main problem is how they went about re-working the relationship between the Doctor and Clara. We start in Deep Breath with Clara having trouble adjusting to the regeneration with the usual old crying. "Wah! He's not my Doctor! I want my Doctor!" That was a mistake, since Clara is the first companion in the entire franchise who was on hand for a regeneration who knew about it and has met other Doctors. Instead of playing with this new story idea, we get the usual old routine of the companion finding the new Doctor difficult to get used to and too different from his predecessor.

And then they change how they get along in general. No longer good friends who are kind of possibly flirting with each other they are awkward and antagonistic with each other, even lying to each other on a regular basis. Yeah, I get the more obvious age difference between Capaldi and Coleman meant having the two of them flirting all the time would be a bit weirder than it was between her and Smith, and given the Capaldi Doctor does have a different personality than Smith's, this Doctor and Clara would relate to each other differently. But they went too far in that direction. Interpersonal conflict, isn't bad, it keeps things interesting. But at the end of the day, two people who choose to spend time together, travel and have adventures together should have s strong and solid friendship and bond, not be awkward and constantly arguing.

And then once you add the bland boyfriend who adds nothing to most plots he's in and just gets in the way of the story, things really take a downward spiral.

18. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I totally agree with this and I say this as some who thinks Clara is great. None of these extended good byes. And, hopefully no more dropping her off on Earth between adventures! Have her decide to travel with him and then do just that!

Mr Awe

19. Guy Gardener

How about they Highlander it?

Have these two stay together (in a montage) until she dies of old age in his arms.

20. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing is Clara kind of fancied the 11th Doctor and wanted him to stay. That he changed was an issue with her as she liked the 11th Doctor. (Sarah mentioned liking the 3rd Doctor once when the 4th brough up his old face).

The thing she didn't know about regeneration was that it could start as an older man. She assumed he started off younger and grew older over a long period of time, as she's seen with the 11th Doctor who had already been around a while before she met him. Yes she had met other Doctors and possibly remembered encountering all of the Doctors, but she wasn't there for all his life, just bits and pieces of it across all his lives. And to be fair, the oldest he had regenerated into prior to that point was the 3rd Doctor. The two others she met personally had both been young or youngish when they regenerated (the War Doctor looked like a younger John Hurt on regenerating from the 8th Doctor and we all know what the 10th Doctor looked like).