The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Old Mixer, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

You're right, this show was a mess, and that's why I'm more a fan of Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Beyond than this nonsense.

At least that appearance wouldn't have been as bad as this one by this guy on this show, which, when combined with a campaign commercial that aired during the succeeding commercial break, helped said guy win the 1968 presidential election, as shown here.

The original version of the theme, or the 1997 version by U2?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

In my routine checking back on the Batman review's in the Me thread, I see that you weren't "just going with it" when Batman and Robin grew costumes with utility belts from pills in glasses of warm water.... :p

2 years ago, we were all abuzz about TIH coming to Me. We were just trying to figure out when they'd be airing it...the subject of reviewing it hadn't even come up yet.

The 1960s single version by Lalo Schifrin that I posted here...which will be in my "50 Years Ago This Week" playlist for the next few months.

_______

ETA: Working ahead on my playlists and purchases, I stumbled upon a mind-blowing factoid that I'd probably been exposed to in the past, only for it to have fallen off my radar--The first Lennon-McCartney song to chart in America was...

"From Me to You," Del Shannon

(Charted June 29, 1963; #77 US)

That's seven months before the Beatles made the Hot 100 with "I Want to Hold Your Hand"!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Hah, that's interesting. When The Beatles released it, everybody probably thought it was just a Del Shannon cover. :rommie:

4. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

[thin excuse]Well..that was then, this is now??[/thin excuse]

Just think, we covered the entire 82 episode run of TIH, and then some, with related posts. Hard to believe that much time passed.

Great piece of music.

Schifrin rarely gets the praise he's earned as a TV and film music composer. He's written so many iconic scores (including the 2nd best main title theme for a Planet of the Apes production--the 1974 TV series), that they defined the productions they were created for as much as anything from Goldsmith, Herrmann, Williams, Laurie Johnson, Waxman, et al.

The Old Mixer likes this.
  5. TREK_GOD_1

The 1966-68 Batman has its strong period, which is the first season, the movie and a few arcs spread across in season two...but its also in that second season when the lazy playing into the overstated "camp" element and too many of William Dozier's Old Hollywood friends were shoehorned into inferior villain roles they had no business playing. It is no wonder than in its single season, Dozier's The Green Hornet stole the creative thunder from Batman (which started its second season as THG made its debut in September, 1966), as it was not only serous, but enjoyed a more adventurous feeling Batman had by the boatloads in its first season.

Oh, there's no doubt about that; only shattering tragedy gave Nixon an additional edge continuing into that summer (that, and the Democrats' implosion by the time of their National Convention in Chicago).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Shaka Zulu likes this.
  6. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Batman '66 is to comics adaptations as Andy Warhol is to the art world; not to everybody's taste, but no less valid.

Kor

7. The Old Mixer

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing

_______

Mission: Impossible
    "The Spy"
    Originally aired January 7, 1968

Has Rollin pulled hypnosis out of his bag of tricks before? I have to wonder if hypnosis really is more powerful than interrogation drugs. And did the hypnosis include Jim maintaining his more-laughable-than-usual accent?

Where have I heard that before?

Kate Woodville (Felicia) looks a lot better with the hairstyle that she's sporting here than she did in FTWIHAIHTTS. (I usually hate it when people acronymize episode titles, but that one's fairly obvious.)

This time, the local defense minister is in on the IMF's plan.

This episode is particularly noteworthy in that Rollin shoots a couple of guys up...gunplay isn't usually a part of the IMF's MO. It's convenient that nobody else in the apartment building seemed to notice the sound of gunfire.

Jim is put in genuine danger as he has to survive interrogation via Russian roulette...though the gun is facing him, so that he can see which chamber the bullet is in.

A final novel touch: At the end, Rollin gets an out-of-assumed-character moment over Felicia's body.

_______

The Monkees
    "Fairy Tale"
    Originally aired January 8, 1968
    I found this one more enjoyable than the typical episode for how it broke the usual series format by having the boys effectively doing an episode-long sketch in which they play characters other than the usual fictitious versions of themselves. It also gives Mike more to do than usual to make up for his absences. I would say that it's surprising that Davy isn't the one going after the "princess"...but considering who's playing her, hard-luck Peter does make more sense.

Our unconnected end-of-episode song:

"Daily Nightly"

(Does "unconnected" work better than "disconnected"?)

_______

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
    "The Seven Wonders of the World Affair: Part I"
    Open Channel Down to One Episode!

That description left out some key characters, including TOS guest David Hurst as Dr. Vanovech, and Barry Sullivan as the rogue UNCLE agent behind the whole plan, for whom Nielsen's character is working. Another TOS guest with a more minor role in the story is Logan Ramsey as a ship captain.

The destruction of Solo and Kuryakin's car in the teaser is really unconvincing. If it was barreling toward the gate and got hit by rockets from behind, what was left of the car should have kept moving forward into the gate...we don't see any sort of wreckage, just an explosion and shots of Solo and Kuryakin rolling away without having seen them actually go out the car doors.

After Solo's plane is shot down over an unusual desert area in the Himalayas, an injured Solo finds himself wandering around--Where else?--Vasquez Rocks.

Somehow the bad guys' SAM radar picks up Kuryakin's helicopter when it's on the ground. Pretty sure it doesn't work like that.

Overall, this episode consisted of a lot of set-up, complicated by an overly large guest cast. It felt like Solo and Kuryakin were guests on somebody else's show.

_______

The Rat Patrol
    "The Boomerang Raid"
    This episode takes us to the coast again, but the Patrol is using their Jeeps and wearing their usual fatigues. It feels natural enough that they'd suspect Dick Sargent of not being the original Lt. Kemper (though he's a season and a half away from taking over the co-starring role in Bewitched). The audience could easily enough tell he was an imposter when he fake-shot Dietrich. Yeah, like they're gonna kill him off near the beginning of a random episode.

In the climax, we get a fistfight between Troy & Dietrich on the beach; and in the feel-good coda, we learn that the barrage will go on as scheduled, with Troy supplying the German positions via memory.

_______

Batman
    "Louie's Lethal Lilac Time"
    Originally aired January 11, 1968
    Louie sure picked the wrong millionaire and his youthful ward to mess around with!

Oh look, a clip show-ish filler scene--complete with Batman's giant clam! Just who was filming these events from previous episodes anyway...?

At stately Wayne Manor, Alfred excuses himself to answer the phone before it rings. And it sure was careless of him to let Barbara into the study...which wouldn't be a big deal if they hid the Batphone somehow.

I think this has come up before, but while Dick wasn't allowed to drive the Batmobile before he had a license, they have no problem with the Batmobile driving itself!

And then we have the magic Bat-costume pills. This gimmick I can buy more easily than the anti-explosion spray in that it reminds me of the Flash's costume ring, but it's hard to swallow (pardon the expression) that you can compress and expand the utility belts with all their gadgets like that.

I had no problem with next episode's villain breaking the fourth wall at the end...those preview scenes are mostly out-of-continuity with the episodes that follow anyway.

_______

Ironside
    "Memory of an Ice Cream Stick"
    This episode has Team Ironside investigating the murder of a mobster for which the aforementioned ex-con, Sam Noble, was questioned. I feel like the story touched upon some interesting ground when Mark was harassed by the police while socializing with Sam...but ultimately it comes out on the pro-police side of things, as it turns out that Ironside was right and Sam was bad news. While not the culprit in the original murder, he winds up rubbing off that murderer for money; and Mark finds out how much he means to Sam when he's held hostage.

_______

TGs2e18.jpg
    "The Rivals"
    One could read a lot into how eager Ann is to kiss her father's butt in order to keep him happy.

The meat of the story involves Donald getting into an accident with Mr. Marie. After it's determined that Donald had the right of way, he takes the fall for the sake of Lou's ego by claiming that his turn signal bulb was out.

We have an interesting sign o' the times situation here in which it seems to be understood that Don and Ann are sleeping in separate rooms (which is what I'd expect in the era and of Lou Marie) by the fact that they have a midnight rendezvous at the fridge; but I didn't catch where it was stated outright one way or the other.

"Oh, Donald" count: 4
    "Oh, Daddy" count: 0
    "Oh, Mother" count: 1

_______

Tarzan
    "The Convert"
    Originally aired January 12, 1968

After that, the Hippo capsizes the boat, and Tarzan rescues Sister Therese (Diana Ross)'s trunk from the river bottom. We get that and two other scenes of Tarzan in underwater action...but yeah, it was too much to hope for the Supremes and a giant clam in the same episode....

But we do get James Earl Jones, who's much more recognizable here as Nerlan, the chief of Sister Therese's former tribe, than in his previous appearance. While he makes a show of treating Therese as an outsider for having left her people, she was his promised bride when they were young, and he clearly still has a soft spot for her.

The story involves Malachi Throne's character, Larson, trying to get Nerlan to sell his tribal land for building a hunting preserve. Larson gets Therese to help convince Nerlan with the promise of a hospital.

Sister Ann (Cindy Birdsong) says that she's from Pittsburg, and Sister Martha (Mary Wilson) says that she's from Chicago. Hmm, no in-references there...Cindy's from New Jersey and Mary's from Mississippi. None of the Sisters Supreme are threatening to win an Academy Award here, but Diana puts in a serviceable performance in her more prominent role, while Cindy and Mary are pretty much background sisters.

Just prior to this number, Jai gets an involuntary shot from Therese as a demonstration to the tribespeople:

(That's JEJ at the end of the clip.)

We also get some incidental female choir music during a prayer that I'm guessing was probably supplied by our musical guests.

Cheeta's a she in this episode.

In the climax, Tarzan pulls some more animal-commanding mojo, surrounding Larson with a blockade of animals, including a full-size elephant and a lion.

Ultimately Therese convinces Nerlan to sell the land for the money that the tribe needs...but Larson is taken down and Tarzan pulls strings with the government so that the tribe sells the surrounding land while keeping the village. Therese assumes that she'll have to leave because she's not wanted, but Nerlan demonstrates that he's come around some when he starts building the hospital and shows an interest in the music...

The Supremes get billed twice in the end credits...taking the first guest spot as "Special Guest Stars Diana Ross and the Supremes," and the next-to-last spot (just before JEJ) under their individual names.

Supremes career tribute post to come.

_______

Star Trek
    "A Piece of the Action"
    Originally aired January 12, 1968
    Stardate 4598.0

See my post here.

_______

Get Smart
    "The Groovy Guru"
    Originally aired January 13, 1968
    Get Smart goes full hippie episode, and the signs o' the times come early...
    Along with the usual recurring gags...

This episode features the return of Dr. Steele, a CONTROL agent whose cover is being a stripper (first seen in "Classification: Dead"). The episode also guests Mickey Morton in a speaking role as a cab driver; and Larry Storch from F Troop as the titular villain.

Also featuring the swinging sound of the Sacred Cows.

How could Max and 99 have a normal-volume conversation in the sound amplification chamber?

_______

Everybody who heard it...#77 means that somebody was playing and listening to it, but it was likely forgotten in its obscurity during the chaos of Beatlemania. But it's noteworthy that the Beatles' own recording, among all their other early singles that were competing on multiple labels in those months, put in an uncharacteristically poor performance, falling just short of making it into the Top 40. For my money, it's a better single than "Love Me Do," which managed to hit #1 in the States.

I wasn't digging below the Top 20 for Del Shannon's singles, but I went ahead and bought this one for its sheer (and mostly unsung) historical value. It'll be fun when that pops up in the weekly playlist mid-year, well in advance of the British Invasion.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

AKA "One of the Laziest Episode Titles of All Time."

The general rule in formal writing is to spell the phrase out the first time and only use the abbreviation afterward. In this case, I think an exception is excusable.

And, yeah, she did look fantastic here.

I think so, somewhat. "Disconnected" isn't exactly wrong there, but it tends to mean that something is broken up and disjointed within itself (e.g. disconnected rambling), or else that it was once connected and was then cut off (e.g. "Your call has been disconnected"). So it can work, but it's ambiguous. "Unconnected" can also mean disjointed, but it mainly just means not connected.

Although I had enormous problems with the next episode itself.

9. The Old Mixer

_______

50 Years Ago This Week

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:

Leaving the chart:
    • "Foxey Lady," The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    • "I Say a Little Prayer," Dionne Warwick
    • "Incense and Peppermints," Strawberry Alarm Clock
    • "The Rain, the Park & Other Things," The Cowsills
    • "She's My Girl," The Turtles

New on the chart:

"There Is," The Dells

(#20 US; #11 R&B)

"Words," Bee Gees

(#15 US; #8 UK)

"(Theme from) Valley of the Dolls," Dionne Warwick

(#2 US; #2 AC; #13 R&B; #28 UK)

And new on the boob tube:
    • Mission: Impossible, "A Game of Chess"
    • The Monkees, "The Monkees Watch Their Feet"
    • The Man from U.N.C.L.E., "The Seven Wonders of the World Affair: Part II" (series finale)
    • The Rat Patrol, "The Fatal Reunion Raid"
    • Batman, "Nora Clavicle and the Ladies' Crime Club"
    • Ironside, "To Kill a Cop"
    • That Girl, "Sixty-Five on the Aisle"
    • Tarzan, "Creeping Giants"
    • Star Trek, "The Immunity Syndrome"
    • The Prisoner, "The Girl Who Was Death"
    _______

I had considered quoting your blog for truth on that. :)

It's a hairy one, alright...but very sign o' the times, I guess. Tune in next week...the worst is yet to come!

10. RJDiogenes

Well, it turns out that Laugh-In has been released on DVD. It came out last year in a way-overpriced series boxed set, and is now being released season by season. They're up to season two with season three pending. It's going to be a lot cheaper to get the individual seasons, so I'll go that route (especially since I'm still absorbing Christmas).

Speaking of Laugh-In, one of the episodes we saw yesterday had Tiny Tim as a guest. Nothing unusual about that, except that he actually participated as a guest, telling jokes at the party, interacting with the rest of the cast in the quickies, and taking part in some of the song-and-dance routines. I've never heard him talk so much, and it was odd (and nice) to see him telling jokes, rather than being the butt of jokes.

Hypnosis would explain a lot. Nobody would really believe those rubber masks, but when the IMF guys gesture hypnotically like Mandrake that completes the illusion. :rommie:

Pretty good. Borderline psychedelic, but still recognizably Monkee-ish. I can't catch what Micky says at the end, though.

"Non-connected?" "Connectless?" "Connected--not?"

This week's MeTV email came with some Rat Patrol trivia.

Samantha never suspected.

On this kind of a TV show, anyway. :rommie:

Diana Ross being saved from a Giant Clam... that's an image to ponder... and ponder.....

There's an oxymoron.

Diana starred in a handful of movies in the 70s, most notably Mahogany, the theme from which is my favorite Diana Ross song.

Not exactly one of my favorite songs, but it's like it was sung by Angels, as Bob and Doug Mackenzie would say.

I'm disappointed that Tarzan allowed the hunting park to happen at all. :(

I'm surprised Max didn't kill them. :rommie:

I'm not familiar with this song or this band, but this is pretty nice-- the lead singer is good.

Wonderful. This is the Bee Gees at their peak, and this is a real time travel song for me. Not only is it a great love song, but it really embodies the feeling of the time, of a tired old world coming to an end and a new age beginning (too bad ensuing generations made a mess of that).

This is Dionne Warwick not at her peak.

The Old Mixer likes this.
  11. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

Take off to the Great White North. It’s a beauty way to go.

12. The Old Mixer

We'll be hearing more from him later this year...and I'll probably be formally getting to that episode eventually. Think I saw part of that one in the background last week.

Interesting...I wonder if it's moving to Me? Oddly, H&I never removed it from its list of shows...or updated its Fall schedule (swapping out TRP for Swamp Thing seems to be the only change they made this quarter). And "live-action cartoon" is exactly how I'd describe this show! Anyway, if H&I had to dump a WWII show, I'm glad it wasn't 12 O'Clock High.

She did get some action in the water when she was trying to dive for her trunk and Tarzan saved her...no doubt aided by a stuntperson for the underwater stuff, but the nun in the drenched habit clinging to the dock was definitely her.

(Someone with the Photoshop mojo could probably do something nice with screencaps from this episode and one of the giant clam appearances.)

Great White North was the first album I ever bought with my own money, eh?

The lyrics are pretty funny.

I wasn't familiar with them from oldies radio myself, but they came to my attention because of their entry on the Rolling Stone list. They're a group going back to the doo-wop era who have a small string of Top 20+ hits coming over the next couple of years in 50th Anniversary Land...the two that make the Top 10 (including the one on the list, a remake of an early single of theirs) are both in the awkward (to me) vein of "trying to revive doo-wop a bit early for '50s retro".

It is a nice one...this week's most striking debut.

I think it's a nice-sounding song. I've never seen it, but I understand the movie is an infamous mess. I was reading on Paul Burke's IMDb page that it was credited for killing his career. (I'd think that the turn-of-the-decade trend toward less conventionally handsome/square-jawed and more everyman-ish leading men probably contributed to that.)

_______

Diana Ross & the Supremes....I started doing career retrospectives for musical acts guest-starring on TV shows for such acts who had more modest and easily covered strings of hits. This group was playing in a completely different league.

The classic trio consisting of Diana Ross, Florence Ballard, and Mary Wilson were billed simply as "The Supremes" until mid-1967, at which point Diana got lead billing and Ballard was replaced with Ciny Birdsong. For years and years the group held the record for having the third greatest number of chart-topping singles in the US (12 between 1964 and 1969), behind the Beatles (20) and Elvis (18). Eventually some newer artists knocked them down a couple of spaces on that list, though the Supremes remain tied at 5th with Madonna.

The group also claims 8 other Top 10 hits (including a duet with the Temptations and a couple from 1970 after Diana left and was replaced by Jean Terrell), and another 4 that made it into the Top 20 (including a 1970 duet with the Four Tops). My own collection picks up on them in late '63 with their first Top 25 hit, but they started charting in the lower regions of the Hot 100 back in '62. The first of our choice selections below was their breakout smash hit.

It would take several posts to comprehensively cover their string of hits (or a big post with lots of text-embedded links), so I'm keeping it short and sweet here, covering five indisputable(?) highlights, all of which neatly predate our 50th anniversary point.

"Where Did Our Love Go"

(Charted July 11, 1964; #1 US the weeks of Aug. 22 and 29, 1964; #1 R&B; #3 UK; #472 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time)

"Baby Love"

(Charted Oct. 3, 1964; #1 US the weeks of Oct. 31 through Nov. 21, 1964; #1 R&B; #1 UK; #324 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time)

"Stop! In the Name of Love"

(Charted Feb. 20, 1965; #1 US the weeks of Mar. 27 and Apr. 3, 1965; #2 R&B; #7 UK)

"You Can't Hurry Love"

(Charted Aug. 13, 1966; #1 US the weeks of Sept. 10 and 17, 1966; #1 R&B; #3 UK)

"You Keep Me Hangin' On"

(Charted Oct. 29, 1966; #1 US the weeks of Nov. 19 and 26, 1966; #1 R&B; #8 UK; #339 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time)

_______

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  13. TREK_GOD_1

Easily one of the best of the series, where they successfully send-up a number of genres in their own, weird way.

That, and Mike constantly going overboard about how attractive the "princess" including "her" sideburns, until he completely breaks character at the end, referring to then-wife Phyllis and their children.

Probably.

The Nesmith song is also the first rock song to use Paul Beaver's Moog synthesizer, while Micky was the third person (by some accounts) to own one.

William Dozier should be a reference source to the disasters guaranteed by hiring friends, especially out-of-date friends no longer appealing enough to even keep his own variety series alive.

So...Batman somehow trusts a remote control system that could malfunction at any time over his very intelligent, experienced, crime-fighting partner because of some law? Then again, this takes place in a city where a dullard like O'Hara could become the chief of police, so I guess common sense is in short supply all around...

..just as you described it--"Psychedelic"

Ah, yes--"Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To?)" is a timeless song--probably the best of her career, though there's room for argument with her long-form remake of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"

Really? This is the Bee Gees at their peak?? I would say the mid 70s era of "Nights on Broadway", Fanny (Be Tender with My Love" and "Jive Talkin'" (all from the 1975 album Main Course) is the peak era, where they embraced the already years-old disco format, but like other songs from this period, were still well constructed and not designed to be mindless club music.

"(Theme from)Valley of the Dolls" could be Warwick at her peak of the ultra-melodic, emotional songs, penned (this time) by Andre and Dory Previn. As the B-side of the classic Bacharach/David composition "I Say A Little Prayer," this was a monster single release, and one of the best selling in pop/rock history. Its not hard to understand why.

Sad note is that the film went into production with Judy Garland as one of the stars (and was intended to sing this song), but thanks to her drug and alcohol abuse, was fired from the film. Had she remained, she would have acted opposite Sharon Tate, and as everyone knows, both died two years later.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  14. The Old Mixer

Yeah, that was a good touch.
    But I'm afraid I didn't catch that part.

Pretty much, yeah. I don't even know how a completely driverless system like that would work in terms of 1968 tech. It's not like Batman is controlling it remotely with a video screen or something...he just pushes a button and the vehicle gets where it needs to go all by itself.

Ah--the curse of the digital age, I didn't even realize that this was that single's B-side...which makes its own performance all the more noteworthy.

15. The Old Mixer

Went and fact-checked this...for clarity, it wasn't the first pop/rock song to use a Moog.
    See also this page, which has the Monkees album as eighth on its list. This page from the same site disputes the early Supremes use listed in the Wiki quote.

16. RJDiogenes

"Take off, eh," was an inescapable catch phrase for a while there. :rommie:

Unfortunately, I doubt it. There would be a plug at the end of the article, following MeTV's usual pattern.

Interesting. I'm not sure what mine was. Something in the back of my head is saying ELO's Out Of The Blue, but I'm not sure. And that may have actually been because I had a gift certificate to Popcorn or Strawberries or whatever it was in those days, because I wasn't big on album buying when I was a kid. All my money went to books and comics.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen it either.

Fascinating. Who are the other two newbies?

All supremely indisputable classics. I'll never figure out how Rolling Stone calculates their rankings, though.

Hah. Now I hear it.

I'm not going to say which is better (they're very different), but "Mahogany" is definitely my favorite.

In my little head there are two Bee Gees: The 60s Bee Gees and the 70s Bee Gees. All of the stuff you mention is great, and there are several other pre-Saturday Night Fever goodies, such as "Edge of the Universe," but I find the 60s stuff to be superior.

Perhaps it uses BGPS via the Bat-Sat. Or maybe it gets around using Bat-like sonar. :rommie:

GNDN18 likes this.
  17. The Old Mixer

_______

51st Anniversary Viewing

_______

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for 51 years ago last week:

_______

The Rat Patrol
    "The One That Got Away Raid"
    Originally aired January 9, 1967
    Here's Jack Colvin again as the defector, code-named Buttercup...and it's clear in his first scene that Buttercup doesn't like Dietrich when he's angry. We're treated to two novelties here: Colvin doing a German accent, and Colvin playing somebody whose name isn't Jack.

Dietrich gets some face time with the other regulars when three of them are temporarily captured.

There's no drama to speak of here...sneakin', punchin', chasin', a little shootin'.

_______

TGs1e18.jpg
    "These Boots Weren't Made for Walking"
    Originally aired January 12, 1967
    When Ann had to get a $50 deposit from him for samples...
    This is the first time I've noticed him calling her "Annie," though I think he may have done it before.

The first door that Ann goes to is a door-to-door-salesman who takes the opportunity to sell his wares to her.

Hmmm...we get a story beat about Donald and Jerry's secretary Margie having an interest in Jerry...take a note for when his marriage first comes up, because she's not Jerry's Season 2 wife. (Though I did discover that there were two actresses who played Ruth Bauman.)

It turns out that the shoes are so poorly constructed because they were made to be worn by corpses. In the climax, Ann has to get to Donald, who's on an assignment that involves mingling with UN ambassadors, to replace his shoes before he finds himself in an embarrassing situation. Len Lesser appears as a security guard.

"Oh, Donald" count: 0 that I caught

_______

They have been known to run articles about shows that were eventually coming to their lineup without plugging any details about that fact. IIRC, they did this for TIH, PotA, and BSG, serving as hints that Me was planning to pick up those shows.

I do remember it seeming like an extravagant expense for my means at the time.

Three actually:
    • The Beatles (20)
    • Tie: Elvis Presley / Mariah Carey (18) *
    • Rihanna (14)
    • Michael Jackson (13)
    • Tie: The Supremes / Madonna (12)
    * With a qualifier that many of Elvis's #1's predate the Hot 100.

I don't put much stock in the exact rankings, more on the presence of a group or song on the list, with conspicuously high rankings holding some additional status. They do seem to have been a bit stingy with the Supremes, though. I'd happily sacrifice one of the Beatles' 23 entries on the list to see a stone-cold classic like "Stop! In the Name of Love" get its spot.

18. RJDiogenes

Does he let him down and then mess him around?

They should have called it "Dead Man's Shoes." :rommie:

Could be then. It wasn't among their New Year's announcements, but maybe it's coming for Summer. I'm not sure where they'd fit in on their schedule, though-- probably in the wee hours.

Wow, Rhianna beat out MJ, and The Beatles are in danger from Mariah Carey.

19. The Old Mixer

I actually had to look that up because I was thinking of that other buttercup song...

_______

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for 55 years ago this week:
    _______

12 O'Clock High
    "Grant Me No Favor"
    Originally aired November 15, 1965
    So we finally meet Gallagher's dad the general...and he's out to push his son into a promotion, but Joe is making waves about the 918th's current assignment. I guessed that the ultra-secret, heavily defended bombing target would be something like a "heavy water facility"...though I'm not sure how openly they would have been talking about such things in those days, even among the upper ranks of the bomber group's chain of command.

Age Check: Frank Aletter was about to turn 40 at the time.

Frank Overton's actually, genuinely back in this one.

_______

20. RJDiogenes

Well, clearly the Batman one is superior. :mallory:

The denial will intensify over time....