The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - Trailer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 777, Jun 17, 2010.

1. 777

777 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is the best of the Narnia books in my opinion and they have a good director at the helm in Michael Apted, so I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully the more marketable storyline and the December release date will lead to a box office increase over Prince Caspian.

3. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Decent trailer, but it does beg the question of how you turn what is essentially a series of episodic short stories in the book into a cohesive movie.

Dawntreader just doesn't have the through-line plot that the prior two Narnia books had.

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Well, it has the connective story arc of their search for the seven Lords of Narnia, plus Eustace's character arc which runs throughout the story.

As for the teaser, they're keeping some of their biggest shots for later trailers (although it could be that those shots need further rendering work before inclusion in the marketing campaign).

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Looking forward to it! Loved the two previous movies, and I picked up the whole Chronicles of Narnia at a used book store in preparation.

Is it just me or does Aslan look different? Or maybe it's just the lighting.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Bah, now people are going to remember that music because of this trailer. ME2 beat you to it, Narnia! :p

Oh well, this looks like it has potential. Prince Caspian was much better than The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, so hopefully The Voyage of the Dawn Treader maintains the upward trend.

7. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I'm not sure about the changes. The White Witch, again? :vulcan:
    Then again, this is all out of context, since it's a teaser only. Even so, I'm eager for this one to come out because of two things:
    1.) This is my favorite of the books
    2.) I was actually disappointed in the filmed version of "Prince Caspian"

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

is reportedly just a quick appearance to Edmund on The Dark Island as a dream manifestation.

9. Neroon

Which is exactly why as puzzled as I was at first, I'm not so quick to take them to task for the shot. With that context... okay, I can buy that. THanks!

10. Jimmy Bob

Jimmy Bob Commander Red Shirt

I like that it's a christmas release again. Too many fantasy movies released in summer lately. I loved it how it was in the early 2000's - with each new christmas having a new Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. And this year it seems to be happening this way.

11. Skywalker

Yeah, looks like Fox learned from Disney's mistake in releasing Prince Caspian during an already crowded summer--and right between Iron Man and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, at that.

12. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Again?

After the bore fests that were the two previous movies? :wtf::wtf:

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved that...even the 3D looks like it has potential to work. Kind of surprised they didn't show Eustace that much. The White Witch angle again...and once again to tempt Edmund. My brother will love this. Voyage is his favorite of the books as well.

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

What's "ME2" ? And what's that music?

I never saw Prince Caspian, but I liked The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe. Now I want to go see Prince Caspian!

It's handled easily enough for you: Don't see the movie.

15. Neroon

That stands for "Mass Effect 2" and the music you hear in this teaser is from that game.

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Harry Potter had a very pedestrian director establish the universe with the first two movies and then they brought in a real director. Maybe the same thing can happen with Narnia.

17. Neroon

I thought Adamson did a pretty good job with "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" though. Not saying that this new director won't do better, however. I have never been one to be able to clearly identify the finer points of what makes one director better than another.

18. Skywalker

ME2 is Mass Effect 2, an RPG released by BioWare earlier this year. The music is "Heart of Courage" by Two Steps from Hell. It was used in this trailer for ME2.

19. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

I'm excited for this one. It's by far my favorite of the books, and seems like one of the best-suited to be adapted into a film. It's just a rollicking adventure with plenty of set-pieces, after all. I hope they keep making these, because I'd love to see The Horse and His Boy and The Magician's Nephew some day.

20. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That trailer's okay, but I'm a little underwhelmed. Eh, I'll go see it anyway... I just hope it's better than the Prince Caspian film, which I found to be disappointing.