News The Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek drops today......

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by KennyB, Nov 5, 2021.

1. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I searched but did not see anything on this:

Narrated by "Star Trek: The Next Generation's" Gates McFadden, "The Center Seat" is directed by Brian Volk-Weiss (Netflix's "The Movies That Made Us," "The Toys That Made Us") and produced by The Nacelle Company, the same creative team behind History’s 2016 "50 Years of Star Trek" documentary.

It doesn't air until tonight in the US....but multiple episodes are online now.....I have watched the one on starship design and now I'm watching the one on DS9....very good so far. I will be busy for the next few hours.

2. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Is it on Paramount+ or somewhere else?

3. KennyB

4. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm checking this out.

JoaquinSlowly and KennyB like this.
  5. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

Well, YouTube TV doesn't carry the History Channel, so I'm SOL.

publiusr likes this.
  6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

No access to History channel.

7. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. KennyB

Tim Thomason likes this.
  9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just watched the first episode. Pretty good, with lots of interesting stuff about the early days of Desilu.

One caveat: I get that with only one hour to cover both pilots and all three seasons of TOS, they couldn't meniton everything and everybody (sorry, Paul Fix, Grace Lee Whitney), but how do you do an entire hour about TOS and not mention James Doohan?

10. JoaquinSlowly

JoaquinSlowly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interestingly, the five episodes (one of which is double length) featured on the History Channel’s History Vault service presently seem to be additional episodes separate from those scheduled to air on the History Channel in the coming weeks.

‪‪I signed up for the one week trial to check out the free episodes, which consist of the episodes Queue for Q (covering TNG), Dancing with Syndication in the Pale Moonlight (covering DS9), Voyage(r) to the Delta Quadrant (covering Voyager of course), and the self explanatory Starships A-Z and then the double sized Trek Stars, the episodes labeled 1-5.

The History Channel’s episodes on the other hand consist of last Friday’s premiere, Lucy Loves Trek, and is scheduled to be followed up first next week with Saturday Morning Pinks, then in the coming weeks with Trekking Through the ‘70s: Phase II and the Motion Picture, then Trek Goes to the Movies.

‪‪I would think they’re the second half of the episodes, as they seem to pick up where the episodes on my cable service’s guide for the next three Fridays left off, but it’s a little weird that they’re labeled as episodes 1-5 if they’re actually episodes 5-9, and that the Lucy Loves Trek episode isn’t on the Vault service even now.

Either way, I’ve watched and enjoyed those episodes that are available to me, and they were interesting, if not feeling somewhat incomplete in parts. At any rate, they’re entertaining enough that I’ll set my DVR and check out the other episodes coming up.

Yeah, that’s the most glaring error! There were similar omissions in the other episodes I’ve watched as well, and they feel somewhat conspicuous at times.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    Commander Troi and shapeshifter like this.
  11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Seriously? One episode? Skim central.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  12. KennyB

I have had The Vault option for a couple of years and was happy to see them on there. They scored some interviews with folks that usually don't do these types of things and get into things like Jennifer Leins departure. So far I've enjoyed it a lot.

Commander Troi and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  13. JoaquinSlowly

JoaquinSlowly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree, it was interesting to see them be somewhat candid about things like that, and drama between Jeri Ryan and Kate Mulgrew. ‪‪I found that to be especially cool seeing that Mulgrew was a producer on the docu-series. They both speak openly about their feelings, and ‪‪I appreciated getting to see them show each other understanding and empathy regarding their situation, so often we as fans only see feuds and infighting presented by the media, or just a complete ignoring of interpersonal conflict, whereas Ryan and Mulgrew show a level of maturity and mutual respect that is in no way surprising, but rarely represented by entertainment news outlets.

Commander Troi likes this.
  14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Me too. I work Fridays.

15. KennyB

https://watch.historyvault.com/ 7 day free trial available........wait till they all come out and binge.

Ronald Held likes this.
  16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

To be fair, they're trying to cover all 55 years of Trek in something like six episodes or so, so they couldn't dwell too long on TOS.

I did, however, appreciate a brief reference to the novels! :)

17. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They filmed 10 shows for the Center seat and several of the shows will only be available on the History channel Streaming service. I watched the first show on the History channel it was really well done.

JoaquinSlowly likes this.
  18. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

For Canadians: Center Seat will debut on Crave November 18 (according to Now Magazine). I'm now sure if it's all 10 episodes or if it will air weekly.

Steve Roby likes this.
  19. elric428

elric428 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not bad but can you imagine how good it could be if Ken Burns did a history of Trek documentary?

20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of the things I'm excited about they're going to talk about the Enterprise tv series for the first time in depth it's long overdue! I'm so happy they've interviewed the the Enterprise cast and Rick Berman and Brannon Braga abut creating the show..