The Captain Edward Jellico Appreciation Society Thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Philip Guyott, Oct 29, 2016.

?

In your opinion was Jellico a good or a bad Captain?

1. A Good Captain

81.6%
  2. A Bad Captian

18.4%
  1. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Shelby had a nice rack.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Deep, deep thought that has nothing to do with Jellico.

3. galad2003

galad2003 Commander Red Shirt

I just think the episode was setup poorly. In my mind Starfleet is a military organizations and would be used to officers coming and going and changing things up. Any professional military crew would expect changes with a new captain and would used to this. Riker would have done exactly what Jerico wanted or else he would have been transferred and his career ruined. I never had an Xo in the NAvy who wasn't a giant colossal kiss ass to the captain. I feel Riker would have done the same.

4. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

And you have a lack of common sense. This treads on the edge of spam.

5. Handsomeyoungensign

Handsomeyoungensign Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Speaking of profrssional well run orgs.. Obv it had nothing to do with thread.. Quite a poor leader IMO.. 'Treads on spam..'

6. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

A ship commanded by Jellico, Shelby, Kurn with Ro Laren at the helm....now that make for one heckuva of a spin off.

7. Handsomeyoungensign

Handsomeyoungensign Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Nothing W/O Tom Paris. Bruh

8. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

9. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

How much does it cost to join the society?

I think what is going on here as well as with the whole "Is Star Fleet the military" discussion is what some people think military means or is.
    Here's a short example, after the terrible tsunami in 2003 the US send a carrier task force to the area to assist, someone made a comment that "why are they going to bomb them?" I don't know how serious that person was but it's there are some people that think that's all they could do, ignoring the fact the carrier has a hospital, can provide power and water and other logistic support.

Also consider the fact that many of the famous exploring vessels on the high seas were at least nominally in their countries navy, even as privateers or irregular forces.

So someone thinking "military" means only fighting or killing would conclude Star Fleet wouldn't be military.

Then we have Picard, the explorer and archaeologist, a man dedicated to learning in command of a vessel that's meant to be exploring, even though they had a lot of non exploration missions (delivering ambassadors for one) and that reinforces the non military nature of the situation. But then the ship has all of those mentioned things that would scream military (lots of guns, ranks, court-martials).

Most of the time the Federation isn't at war and they are not a conquering empire so their wars are defensive in nature, they don't try to acquire territory by force but negotiation however some cultures just don't do things that way. This doesn't mean the Federation is defenseless, they have Star Fleet. They are the military. They defend the Federation and it's citizens. They perform rescue and regulatory functions, too. But always they are ready to explore and learn and meet new civilizations, they have more opportunity for that than any current wet navy on Earth does.

But then comes Picard compared to Jellico. We don't know how many civilizations Capt. Jellico has met. He must be a somewhat skilled negotiator having been on the team to negotiate the most recent treaty. Yet he's put in a pile with nasty martinets because he wants something done. It's the anti-military vein of someone showing through they can think he's wrong. It almost reminds me of MASH when Col. Potter was taking over and they were afraid because he wasn't drafted like they were. Because of course a person that would voluntarily join a military is a nasty horrible person, right?

I think Picard and Jellico both conduct themselves very well in these episodes. And Data really shines as first officer. If I had a wish I would have kept him as XO and busted Riker to shuttle pilot.

How can anyone think Riker is in the right in this. It boggles my mind but that's clearly what the show people are trying to do, make Jellico a bad guy even though he's one of the heroes of the story. Is it because he had Bob Morton killed?

10. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Nope. Obviously it's because he tried to suffocate the Martian mutants.

Philip Guyott likes this.