''The Cage'' - to watch, or not to watch?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ToMaHaKeR, Jan 15, 2011.

1. ToMaHaKeR

ToMaHaKeR Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Since the majority of ''The Cage'' pilot is incorporated in both parts of ''The Menagerie'', would you watch the pilot, or skip to the next episode (episode 1) - ''Where No Man Has Gone Before'' (or ''The Man Trap'', if you prefer the non-DVD episode arrangement)? I know, not a big deal of a question, but you gotta start the day with something :techman:

2. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cage -> WNMHGB -> Rest of the series in its production order. :techman:

Then again, where I live, The Cage has been included only on the Third season's Blu Ray set, which remains unreleased here. :thumbdown:

3. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would definitely watch The Cage. Some interesting bits in the full episode that are trimmed out in The Menagerie. And it is perhaps the purest example of what Roddenberry's original conception of Trek was.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You gotta watch The Cage.

5. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, the Cage is pretty excellent - it was cut down and cut up a bit for the Menagerie, but it's still a great stand alone.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I'd watch "The Cage" and contemplate skipping "The Menagerie".

7. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Since "The Cage" was shot and edited to be a complete story, rather than a collection of flashback scenes, an equally valid question would be "The Menagerie" - to watch, or not to watch? :)

8. Silver Roc

Silver Roc Ensign Red Shirt

One of my favorite Trek episodes ever. It just has a completely different feel then TOS, kind of like watching a different Trek series all together. I would definitely watch it.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Still not? Glad I went for the three tin-boxed DVD new-CGI versions to supplement my old TOS DVD season sets.

10. Tallifer

Tallifer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"The Cage" is interesting, but "The Menagerie" makes it more so. I enjoyed the story within a story, and the two captains.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'll never forget the first time I watched "The Menagerie." I thought I was seeing flashbacks of an earlier series or at least season which I knew nothing about. :lol:

12. Leathco

Leathco Commander Red Shirt

I liked them both. The Cage has a feeling to it that no other episode in the series has, while the Menagerie kinda makes you wonder about the other adventures that Pike had gone on when the Enterprise was under him.

I only own the DVD sets that came in the plastic case split down the middle, without the added CG stuff. My version has the original Black and White and Colored versions of The Cage, but did they do any CG changes to it? Like in the intro when its like you are looking at a hole in the ship which ends up being the bridge, it was a cool shot but kinda awkward, did they do anything with it?

13. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

That opening shot was completely redone in CGI.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmEuXsa4z_Q&nofeather=True[/yt]

And the bridge elevator doors still don’t line up with the tube on the outside of the dome.

The black-and-white version of “The Cage” was Gene Roddenberry’s personal 16mm print, which was rather the worse for wear after being schlepped around and screened at conventions for 20 years.

14. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Watch The Cage and The Menagerie - They both work very well! IMO Star Trek would have been better had The Cage produced a series.

15. Nerd unRage

Nerd unRage Commander Red Shirt

Defintely watch both. "The Menagerie" is one of my favorite episodes and "The Cage" should be watched if for nothing else, it was the original pilot. Whether or not it's canon is debatle.

16. Leathco

Leathco Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the info, I've been curious about that, but wasn't about to repurchase all my DVD sets. The fact that the shaft and doors STILL don't line up is hilarious. :guffaw:

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

And there's something not right about the Enterprise approach at the beginning. Where the dorsal meets the saucer it doesn't look right.

18. Commodore_Rook

Commodore_Rook Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It is funny how The Cage is only a year younger than WNMHGB and the rest of the series! What a difference a year makes! The funny thing is, it fits perfect with "this was 13 years ago"!

They are both fun to watch.

''The Menagerie'' was a brilliant episode reusing an unaired pilot! True genius!

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I noticed that too. Can't quite put my finger on what the issue is though.

20. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Yes, it looks a bit wonky. It appears that the upper edge of the dorsal pylon doesn’t follow the concave curve of the underside of the saucer. Very sloppy.