The Battle of Cheron comes from the Spaceflight Chronology, not TNG

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by rfmcdpei, May 25, 2013.

1. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was paging through my copy of the classic ]Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology when I found, in the space for 2109, a description of the Battle of Cheron wherein Federation squadrons crushingly defeated the Romulans.

This was noteworthy to me since the first mention of the Battle of Cheron on television was made by Admiral Jarok in the TNG episode "The Defector".

That episode aired a decade after the Chronology's publication. Though the chronology of the publication of the Goldsteins and Sternbach has long since been superseded, the idea of the Battle of Cheron as a crushing Romulan defeat in the war against Earth made it into the televised canon. (Ronald Moore, author of "The Defector", was plausibly familiar with the Chronology long before he became a writer on TNG.)

Why am I posting it here? Well, looking at Memory Beta and doing Googling elsewhere, the origins of the Battle of Cheron in the Chronology don't seem to be recognized anywhere.

somebuddyX likes this.
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: The Battle of Cheron comes from the Spaceflight Chronology, not TN

Cool! I love it when elements of the tie-ins make it into an episode or movie.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: The Battle of Cheron comes from the Spaceflight Chronology, not TN

And of course Rick Sternbach was one of TNG's senior designers and technical advisors, so the suggestion could've come from him as well. Although he never really seemed to bring any of his SFC designs into TNG, so maybe not.