The Australian national cricket team

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jono, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know there will be few interested in this, but what you do think of the current state of the national team? They have suffered a defeat in India and at home against SA in the tests and we just lost a ODI series 4 - 1 against SA. With the Ashes this year in England do you think this current form is an indication that we will lose the Ashes later this year?

Personally, I'm not all that surprised we've struggling. We've lost a host of great players since the hammering we gave the Poms in the ashes of 2006/07 (glorious times). I've been disappointed in a few players in the squad. Symonds' in particular, he is a good player but he is a goose. The same could be said of Ponting a few years back, I remember him getting into a fight at a pub and fronting the media with a black eye but at least he turned it around. The middle order has been poor, particularly Hussey, though maybe given his start in the international arena we have higher expectations of him then we really should. I don't think Warner should have got a start over some of the good first class openers already out there. Injuries also have not been kind. The Channel Nine commentators pointes out only 3 or 4 players in the ODI were there during the series against India. I still hope that Australia can bring it together like we did for the world cup after it looked like we'd lost our edge following the ashes.

2. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ You won't lose the Ashes. We seem intent on imploding again. Not that that's the only reason. The Australia side of the last decade have arguably been the greatest cricketing side that there's ever been. As it began to breakup it was inevitable that the legendary players would be impossible to replace to the same degree of quality.

3. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Given we played India in India and the strongest South African side there's been since they returned to the international fold, and pushed both teams pretty hard, I think there's been something of an overreaction to the series losses. We became very used to winning over the past decade and a bit and maybe some people lost sight of the fact that that period of dominance had to end. Any team losing - in less than two years - a bloke with 550 plus Test wickets, another with over 700, a third who could score a century in even time, and a fourth who along with a recently-retired fifth bloke formed one of the great opening partnerships the game has seen is going to struggle. It was inevitable that we'd come back to the field and playing the two strongest sides in the Test arena has only emphasised it. Basically, there's no need to panic about this. Great players don't show up every day and their replacements need and will take time to establish themselves.
    Not necessarily. A certain amount will depend on how things go in South Africa. Whoever is chosen to replace Hayden will need to gel quickly with Katich. Hussey needs to rediscover form. Our bowlers need to start taking wickets consistently. We need to pray that the players survive the idiotic scheduling they're up against without getting injured or keeling over from exhaustion (ideally, a few more would follow Johnson's lead and skip the meaningless Twenty20 crap in India. They can feather their nests when they retire).

Meanwhile England isn't exactly setting the world on fire either but they have the nucleus of a decent team and they picked the right captain this time around. I think and hope it'll be another close contest like the '05 series.

4. Jono

Definitely true, getting bowled out for 51 and losing by an innings and 23 runs to the West Indies isn't startling form.

Glad to see that Australia posted a target tonight at the SCG and defended it. Though there were some nerves with Elliot and McCullum after they played a fantastic batting power play. Good to see Haddin, Clarke and MEK Hussey getting a few runs.

Bracken got smashed around a bit during the powerplay but he is a decent bowler, I don't quite get why he isn't in the test team.

5. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Yes, that was certainly a bit of an eye-opener. As is usually the case in these situations, reading the reactions in the English press has been hilarious (God knows we Australians have needed a good laugh after the past few days). They really know how to kick their teams when they're down. :lol:

6. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I think on the basis of the recent cricket results, you guys can keep the Ashes. Just let us know when you get tired of holding them. :guffaw:

7. Jono

Fair opening innings against SA. Let's see if Australia will lose the plot on day 3, which I think was the day we seemed to lose it against SA in the series here in Oz.

8. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Probably due to the fact he is so economical in the limited overs form of the game. The summer has been the toughest in recent years, with India and South Africa here.

Brett Lee should return for the Ashes, as we are missing his experience with the bowling attack. His return would take some pressure off Johnson. I think this test team, looks rather good, but put Johnson at 8, and bring another bowler into the team.

Will be interesting to see how the second test goes, as I think it will be a lot closer.