The Australian Cricket Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Feb 27, 2008.

1. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

So the Australian summer is almost over, only an ODI left before the final series against India, starting next month.

1. What have you thought of the summer this cricket?

2. Do you agree with what Matthew Hayden said about Harbhajan?

3. Is any other future planned 20/20 series a thread to the game of cricket?

4. What Australia's current weakness in the game?

2. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The cricket was okay. The test series was interesting and it is a pity that fantastic win in Sydney in the second test was completely overwhelmed by other events. The ODI were interesting in the fact that the batsmen didn't do much, but it did show that our bowling stocks aren't all that bad.

Harbhajan does strike me as a "obnoxious little weed" but then again players like Warnie haven't exactly been the most likeable either. I doubt he lose any sleep about the Australian fans not liking him.

Not sure what I think about the 20/20s. I do like having miked up players, makes it a bit more interesting. Not that the Channel Nine combo of Tubby, Slats and Heels isn't a amazing and life changing experience to listen to!

As for the Aussies, their batting and some of their fielding of late has been off. Not sure if it is anything serious or just the fact they they have had a long summer, but they are still managing to win and it is encouraging to see that a team that is not playing at its best is still coming out on top.

Just saw on the news that Hogg is retiring. Liked him, he was a likeable character.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  3. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

1. Underwhelming. Too many controversies. The overwhelming and dismal confirmation that Indian money runs international cricket. Gavaskar (and others) playing the race card. India whining about almost everything, and threatening to go home every 10 minutes (thank God they will soon, indeed, go home). It's just been a miserable summer, IMHO, and I haven't enjoyed much of it. I'm thankful it's almost over.

2. Harbhajan's a prat. That's about all I want to say about him.

3. Twenty20 is boring. Cricket's supposed to be about the contest between bat and ball, not how many fours and sixes can be hit in the shortest time. Bowlers are an irrelevance - may as well replace them with bowling machines and be done with it. I can see it fundamentally altering the game as players chase $$$$$ and decide representing their country isn't "worth" it - hell, we're seeing too much of that right now. The hypocrisy of Australian players, who've spent several years whining about how hard their lives are, being auctioned off for huge sums to play even more cricket is extraordinary.

4. We don't have a spinner worthy of the name. MacGill's not getting any younger and has injury concerns. After him, there is no one. At all. It's not good.

4. Cali

Cali Admiral Admiral

They're Australian ;)

5. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

*** permabans Cali *** :evil:

6. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Indeed ... sadly India have complain way too much.
    I think his comment about Hayden being amongst the most hated made me laugh.

3. It will be interesting to see how this tournment goes, but we don't need such a huge focus with it.
    Especially with Hogg retiring, after the ODI. Haddin will be the wicketkeeper for the west Indies tour, but losing Gilchrist is a huge lost.