The 12th Smegtastic Red Dwarf Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MacLeod, Oct 6, 2017.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well it's back for more adventures or should I say mis-adventures wiuth the new series airing on Dave starting the 12th of September.

2. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Smegcellent.

3. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

12th of October maybe?

The RD Facebook group has been saying Dave was allowing download of the first episode this week. I'm not sure that woudl work in the U.S., but I'll take a look since even when I has DISH I couldn't see new RD until I bought the blu-rays.

4. tharpdevenport

Just watched the second episode (haven't seen the first one yet).

Just like last season, if this episode is any indication, this will be another welcomed season.

The plot (SPOILERS):

The crew are captured by a mechanoid resistance group who decides to punish them for treating Kyrten as a slave for so long.

5. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Totally forgot about this. While the sheen has tarnished quite a bit, still, watching new Red Dwarf is like curling up with a dog-eared book and a cup of hot chocolate. The Dwarf is back.

Mark

6. tharpdevenport

Aside from that a hologram has aged a lot, it's extremely noticeable how fat Kryten has gotten.

7. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Weight continuity aside I'm glad to see the series back. The first two episodes so far weren't home runs but they had their moments. As usual the Cat is the best.

8. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Episode three, it just struck me, has the same concept as a novel Rob Grant wrote 10 years ago.​

9. Saul

What novel was that?

I don't get the point of title 'Timewaves' and having timewaves in this at all. It is only used to introduce a 24th century ship but the era it comes from doesn't really have any effect on anything. Nor do the crew get sucked into the past. It could have been just a normal ship they encounter by chance.

10. Ar-Pharazon

That might've been the first time we've seen the "Rimmer salute" since series VIII.

11. Mark_Nguyen

Well, it's not like continuity was a strong point in this show. :) But the anti-critzers may as well have also been holograms, clones, droids or whatever. It's not like there aren't gobs of them just floating around. I think it's just a slightly better excuse for them to meet up with humans again who HAVEN'T been around for millions of years doing the same thing. As it stands the other human they've already run into was in stasis for ages, I guess they didn't want to re-use that trope again already.

Mark

12. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Loved Mechocracy: references (and clips, maybe) all the way back to Kryten and The End, confirmation in passing that Rimmer is season 8 Rimmer post-deading, and the return of Talkie Toaster, voiced by the original Kryten again.6

The Rob Grant novel is called Incompetance. As in its now considered discrimination to sack someone for being no good at their job.

13. Saul

I'm not so sure, because it mentions he killed himself twice, technically each Rimmer has killed himself only once if the other died at the end of season 8. It could be that the original Rimmer accidentally killed his living version which would count as killing oneself twice. Or the video mentions that incidentally Rimmer has died twice relating to his own actions, it doesn't mean he is series 8 Rimmer.

Not sure why they didn't show the election episode last year since series 11 and 12 were filmed together.

14. Mark_Nguyen

Rimmer kills himself after suddenly becoming alive again in "Timeslides" too. At this point, so much time has gone by that aside from the initial setup of getting these four characters three million years into deep space, everything else can be generally explained away by "uh, it happened when you weren't watching".

Mark

Mike McDevitt likes this.
  15. tharpdevenport

I don't know whether to classify this as a spoiler since it's on the IMDb page for the episode, but I'll put it in spoiler code just in case.

On the next and final episode of this season,
    Holly
    returns.

16. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice to see that news:D

17. Ar-Pharazon

That will probably be the high point for Series XII.

M-Corp was the best episode so far for me. Overall, series' XI and XII have been OK, but not great.

Just not as funny as the classic series' and every episode feels rushed. They are about 2-3 minutes shorter than the classic era episodes, but I'm not sure that's it.

Red Dwarf needs Rob Grant back. I really think they need both guys working at it to make it great again. It won't happen of course.

18. tharpdevenport

Still better than season ten, nine, and one or two other ones. Certainly better than the painfully un-funny season one.

However, what I don't like is that they don't seem to be doing anything or going anywhere. The drive early on was trying to get back to Earth. Are they still going there? How's the progress? The actors are getting old -- are there any plans to wrap things up or are we still going to do this episode-to-episode unrelated thing?

And I also miss them doing big stuff and cliffhangers.

19. Saul

M-Corp was good. Felt like one of the older episodes. Well made too.
    I too miss cliffhangers and something a bit different.
    Doug Naylor said something in interviews that he imagines continuing on like this and that the crew will never find their way home. Which is disappointing.
    We could have a whole season with them on earth. I guess they don't have the budget though... They still have to find kochanski too.

20. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Do they have ads on Dave? Perhaps they have structure for the ad breaks that were never a concern when the show was originally on the BBC?