That's some nasty shit?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gingerbread Demon, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon Time is a monster Premium Member

So if you buy the game you have to buy it again to get the new edition. That's some nice bullshit.

2. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

I Googled rather than hit play, so my info might be limited...but you still got the game you paid for though, right?

3. Gingerbread Demon

Yes but you have to make a new purchase if you want the other version which in the end isn't that much different when they could have upgraded you by just updating the game version to that...... Simple.

4. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

So they could have given you something for free but chose not to.

5. Gingerbread Demon

Well that's what most decent publishers would have done.

6. Pizza Riker

Pizza Riker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly. I got Shovel Knight back when it came out on the 3ds, and Image and Form was nice enough to give those who already bought the base game, the DLC at no extra cost. It was a smart move by them.

7. Gingerbread Demon

So yeah no plans to buy the PS5 when I have a perfectly functional PS4.... Have Control and zero interest in upgrades now.... This was a total dick move on the part of 505 games. It was only Remedy that signed the deal with them to publish.

Pizza Riker likes this.
  8. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Okay - I agree that this is "not nice" but, MOST software companies are doing something similar with anything you buy nowadays.

Corel - you buy the latest version and subscribe to basic updates. When the new version comes out, you have to buy it (though usually an upgrade price) and then continue subscriptions for updates.

This isn't even new as some companies have been doing something similar since at least the late 1980's.

Game developers are also software companies so..?

9. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This has really never been a big deal for me. I've bought GTA V for PS3, Xbox One and will probably buy it for PS5. I can't wait to see how Control and Ghost of Tsushima look on PS5. If it's not a free upgrade, sure, it'll be annoying, but I'll end up buying the games again. They're fun games. Then I can gift my PS4 versions to my nephew or loan them out and get more people interested in them.

10. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not that different from when Rockstar released GTAV on the current-gen after first saying they never were going to, and having to have people re-buy it if they wanted to play it on a new console. Technically, they're treated as new games as the older versions stop getting updates.

11. Pizza Riker

Pizza Riker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yea used to it. Same thing happens with re releases. Thankfully some of them aren't at the bloated new price. And those that are, I would wait for a sale on or get used.

StarCruiser likes this.
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think getting the new version for free is the exception rather than the rule in most cases. It never even occurred to me that companies would do that until people started talking about how if you buy the PS4 edition of some upcoming games you can get the PS5 version for free. It's technically the same game, but not really since it's a totally new version on a different system. It's not like it's just a small update or patch that improved a few things.

StarCruiser likes this.