Tales of Monkey Island

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sephiroth, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh. My. Freaking. God! That is awesome news! Hope they get back the guy who voiced Guybrush in 3 and 4.

The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the 3D work, particularly for the characters. Despite its age I prefer the MI3 look.

Just watched the trailer for the game on youtube...doesn't sound like they have the voice actors from Guybrush or LaChuck back...sadface.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  3. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to honestly say that while I was very excited when I read about this first, I felt the trailer was very, very weak. For one, I didn't find it very funny. And secondly, I think the game simply doesn't look very attractive (character design, animations and such). It's clear that they don't have a big studio budget, but I think they could have achieved a more fun look. What I saw in the trailer looked really dull and drab to me.

I saw the trailer here. It's a German website. But the trailer is in English.

I'm sorry, I really don't want to sound like such a downer. But I really don't like what I've seen so far.

4. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure about LeChuck, but that definitely sounds like Dominic Armato as Guybrush.

5. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ If wikipedia is to be believed it is indeed Dominic Armato...I must need to replay the last two games.

6. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Dominic Armato is back as Guybrush; Michael Land is composing the music.

7. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

The screenies and footage so far do look a bit ropey but as long as the writing is up to scratch I can live with some... inbred looking char. models.

Seriously though, more Monkey Island is possibly the best gaming news I've heard all year and I can't wait for these episodes.

Is it wrong that I'm more excited about the "Secret of Monkey Island" remake than I am about these brand new adventures? Maybe it's 'cos I still have the bad taste of Monkey Kombat in my mouth. Eugh.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

As someone who missed out on The Secret of Monkey Island (and every other MI game except Escape), I'm much more interested in the remake, too. Though I'll still check out Tales. As a Broken Sword fan, I wish adventure games would make a comeback.

9. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I've always felt adventure games had more strength in complex, structured storytelling than many other genres. Probably because the story traditionally played a huge role in the structure of the game. And they're just cool, darnit.

10. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just checked out the website (thanks for the link!) and have to say that I feel the same way. I think the remake is looking terrific. Plus you can switch from the new look back to the old one which is really, really cool, I feel.

Now, I'd like an Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis remake next, please :D.

11. Sephiroth

Lucasarts, UR doin it right, i am so psyched, i can't wait to DL it from XBL

and with Ron Gilbert on it, maybe we will get the true MI trilogy, because I KNOW they are gonna do Le Chuck's revenge too, it's a labor of love

12. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw an interview with some Lucasarts people about the remake last week, and they said that if it sold well they may do other games. And they name dropped Maniac Mansion. I was thinking more along the lines of Day of the Tentacle, but oh did I grin.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I wonder, should the remake prove successful, if LucasArts will also go back and do "Special Editions" of its other classic adventure games like Full Throttle and Grim Fandango.

E: Bah, cross-posted. :o

14. Sephiroth

if this sells well, which it should if they actualy advertise it outside of the scumm bar, we will see em all, Loom, Maniac Mansion, Day of the tentacle, Monkey Island 2 LeChucks Revenge, The Dig all the classic games that run the SCUMM engine

15. Sephiroth

you can't stop the tentacle without going to the Mansion first

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I've never been able to get along with MM. I remember there was a bit in DotT where you could play the original game within the game, but I got bored with that very quickly.

Great news about 'Monkey Island' though, one might almost believe that Lucasarts has gone back to it's old ways of not releasing crap games made only to cash in on Star Wars. Almost.

17. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is included on the Wii version of Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings I doubt remaking it is high on their list of priorities.

18. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's pretty damn cool. :cool: