t.o.s fans when did you like tng as much as tng original.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by remember..., Mar 31, 2020.

1. remember...

remember... Lieutenant Red Shirt

Many tos fans did not take a liking to the new kid on the block. For me it was. The 2nd season what about you?

Qonundrum likes this.
  2. Batai

Batai Lieutenant Red Shirt

Throughout Season 3 it built up until in the middle of watching TBOBW Part 1 for the first time, I just blurted out loud, "Damn, this show sure got good!" I was so grateful for 1st run syndication. It never would have gotten the chance to become what it did if a network run had been its only option. Season 1 was mostly bad, Season 2 was OK, then Season 3 on were great, with Season 5 being the best overall. I will forever exercise the luxury of refusing to choose between TOS and TNG, as well as between Kirk and Picard.

Qonundrum likes this.
  3. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Fortunately it's possible to enjoy both shows without making those choices.

F. King Daniel and Nyotarules like this.
  4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Still hasn't happened. TOS holds a special place in my heart and memory.

5. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

I've never liked TNG as much as TOS and never will.

TNG has some great episodes here and there but overall it will never come close for me. It also has two characters/actors I simply can't stand which makes rewatching a chore. In fact my wife and I finished The Best of Both Worlds a few weeks ago and had to take break.

6. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never liked them equally at all. They just aren't the same thing in any way to me. I like them both, for entirely different viewing experiences. I fully knew it would be a new type of thing I'd enjoy greatly... sometime during the 3rd season. I think it might've been The Enemy

7. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Is it fair to compare two series that are from different eras?

The basic idea is the same but few decades creates a lot of changes in the world of TV.

Qonundrum likes this.
  8. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

I don't remember. I watched Farpoint but was very unimpressed. At some point I gave it another shot and then starting watching every week but when exactly that was, I can't remember.

9. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I liked it right off the bat, along with all of its spinoffs.

However, nowadays while I still like all of them, none hold the same special nostalgia place in my heart that TOS and TMP do.

10. Thomas Elliot

Thomas Elliot Commander Red Shirt

I thought TNG was extremely “nerdy” and uncool compared to the more action-hero Kirk-led Enterprise. I still watched it regularly because we had only three or four working channels, and the introduction of the Borg actually scared me. But a nerdy show nonetheless to my dumb, 8-year old self.
    When they got the new uniforms with collars in S3 everyone suddenly looked more dignified and even a little heroic, in particular Captain Picard. I think this is when we got more Data and Worf-centric storylines and it pretty much replaced TOS as thee Star Trek.

11. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

"Farpoint" was a bit iffy back then, too. :D

IMHO, only if it's a direct spinoff. TNG was indirect and decades later and had a little more freedom, for both tinkered premise and characters therein. Unlike 1987, the Trek-Universe as well as the audience is so expanded so it makes sense that series comparison becomes harder after a certain point. And the newer series more or less found their own path and/or niche.

Or for plot content; visual and audio differences are par for the course so they're generally going to be better - either way, effects just enhance the show and shouldn't really be it and that's where plot content comes into play. Pacing too, but newer shows know nothing is going to be airtight and will ramp up the pacing so audiences won't necessarily notice. Then again, some older shows didn't have (many or, rarely, any) plot holes but were slowly paced because of budget or other constraints.

And eloquence of dialogue and technobabble... After all, to look at another show, "Doctor Who" went from "acetone" to "anti-plastic" regarding how to defeat a monster made out of plastic... :guffaw:

12. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

It took me a while to like TNG. When I really started to like it, I found I like the earlier stuff more interesting and adventurous (even if some episodes were still BAD) than the later (season 5-7) episodes.

Recent rewatched episodes from season 5 have garnered some appreciation, even if the show went from exploration to introspective commentary. But it's still the downward point, despite season 5 being TNG's highest rated era (I always thought it was season 3 but recently looking, season 5 had the highest ratings.)

13. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, same here.

14. Schlegelmilch

Schlegelmilch Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'll always prefer TOS to TNG, but TNG hit its stride in season 3. The characters were really pompous in the beginning. I remember the watching The Neutral Zone at the end of season 1. Both Picard & Riker were insufferable. I would have much rather have been stuck on a barge with Sonny Clemens or Ralph Offenhouse. Riker's comment about outgoing our infancy was particularly grating. I was really happy to see the program improve.

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I liked it immediately. To me, it was Star Trek taken to the next level and I loved it from the start. It really wasn't until I onto the internet in 2001 that I learned I was supposed to hate both TOS and TNG.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This. For me there is the original Star Trek, and then everything else.

Jadeb and Ovation like this.
  17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I was underwhelmed by TNG until "Measure of a Man" came along.

That's when the show started getting good, IMO.

Ovation likes this.
  18. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Commander Red Shirt

I thought Clemons was a stereotypical bumpkin and Offenhouse was a stereotypical greedy jerk. That being said, Picard and especially Riker were condescending jerks themselves through most of the episode.

I agree that I'm glad it improved from there.

I will say, "The Neutral Zone" wasn't the worst season finale that the show produced. That dubious honor goes to season 2s "Shades Of Grey", which is just a preposterous clip show and one of the worst episodes ever produced.

19. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved TNG right from the start, but I was raised by a family who loved Star Trek, so "Encounter at Farpoint" introduced to Jean-Luc Picard and the 1701-D, and one of the great wildcard characters in Star Trek's history "Q"* was a delight for me. When some stories resembled episodes from TOS, I felt they were a nod to those works but for me TNG was going in the right direction. It was new and it was bold and to this day I still love watching season 1, 2, 4, 5, & 6, and "All Good Things..."

*I never saw the connection between Trelane and Q; for me they're completely different characters and I liked to believe Star Trek is expansive and there are many deity type phenomenons throughout the galaxy.

20. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched the first few of TNG, but sort of gave up until late season three when I got into it again. I've since gone back and seen everything though.