Survivor Season 38: Edge of Extinction/The Amazing Race 2019

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Timewalker, Feb 16, 2019.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I want to write a comic called The Wardog about this soldier of misfortune stranded on a tropical island with a team of misfits. They get attacked by a hostile tribe and all they have to fight them off is a box full of WWII pineapple grenades left behind by the Marines when they landed back during the war. So, The Wardog lazily decides to sleep in to conserve energy instead of helping his comrades fight, but eventually, since he's The Wardog and the only veteran, they convince him he needs to be in charge of throwing the grenades. So, he reaches into the box, concentrates real hard on his stratagery while making his concentration face, and then throws all the grenades about six feet in front of them and accidentally kills his whole team in the blasts. FIN.

Seriously though, The Wardog suuuuucks. He is not worthy of referring to himself in the third person. No one is, really, but especially not him. It's hilarious watching Lauren yell at him during the challenges.

This double episode was somewhat more entertaining than the rest of the season, even with the extra focus on The Island of Misfit Tribesman, because at least they got their folding Denny's kids menus with the treasure maps to solve. Keith taking off to go find One-Eyed Willie's treasure after everyone agreed to go together was incredibly stupid on his part but entertaining to watch. But he's just like Wendy in not giving a single fuck about playing a smart social game. They just do what they wanna do in the moment, consequences for the game be damned. Reem of course continues to be her usual charming self and the designated greeter of the Bitter Island Walmart.

I honestly thought Chicken Little Wendy might take the out instead of going to Extinction, since she's shown no desire to play the game up to now. I guess the Chicken Gods guided her down the path to remaining in the game in honor of her sacrifices for the good of chicken kind.

It was nice to finally see some new players like Julia get some attention. Unfortunately it usually only comes about because they're talking about returning players like Amazing Joe. Seriously though, dude is up there with Ozzie as one of the biggest physical threats with the most ridiculous hair ever. He even does great at puzzles. Not so much the social game even though he's a perfectly nice guy. It doesn't even matter what the challenge is though, he aces it on the first try. Props to the guy and all, but it does make things a little boring when he's such a dominant presence in most challenges.

I was a little disappointed that Aubrey didn't pick up on the body language Victoria was giving that made it obvious she was lying and decide to play her idol or extra vote advantage at Tribal. That looked pretty bad that she was that completely blindsided considering she knew she had a target on her back as a returning player. She was a bit of a letdown I hope they don't try and bring her back again unless she manages to pull off an amazing return from Bitter Island. Which she might, since with the sort of exception of Chris and Devon, they're pretty shitty players there.

Speaking of Victoria, I like her. I think she might have a good chance to go all the way.

The water challenge with the pyramid of balls puzzle was cool and a nice changeup.

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Victoria has a Parvati vibe.

The only problem with Joe’s social game is he’s so physically dominant. If he came back when he was 50 and couldn’t win challenges he’d do much better.

4. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

[​IMG]

Snaploud and Locutus of Bored like this.
  5. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Joe is the reason I've been enjoying the show this time and make an effort not to miss any episodes.

And there is nothing wrong with his hair. Nothing at all. :)

6. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I totally agree.

7. DigificWriter

Both of the people I was rooting for - Aubry and Joe - have been voted out now and are on the Jury unless one of them makes it back into the game. :(

I'm still going to watch, but there's nobody actually left in the game right now that I care about.

Timewalker likes this.
  8. Timewalker

I predict a bitter jury. Reem looks like she hates everyone, and now Joe is royally pissed.

I'm not sorry to lose Wendy and whatsisname. They were both so annoying.

9. DigificWriter

Since the jury is going to be made up of people who have a shot at getting back into the game, it's hard to know who will be voting at the end and who won't.

10. Timewalker

True, but that doesn't alter the fact that as of last night's episode, we know that Reem is bitter, angry, and acts like she wants to throttle everyone else, and Joe is angry at being betrayed (not to mention it's a slap in the face to someone who doesn't mind actually doing some work around camp and providing food).

11. DigificWriter

^ Not gonna argue that, but my argument is that we can't use those feelings to predict the endgame or how the jury will act due to the fact that we have at least one more person going back into the game.

Reem, Aubry, and Joe being angry could end up impacting the jury vote, or it could act as the fuel that gets one of them back in the game; it's far too early to know.

12. Timewalker

Even though one of them will get back in, the other two could very well have to stay on the jury. And at least one of those two will be a bitter juror.

13. DigificWriter

Reem is specifically mad at David and Rick, Aubry is specifically mad at Eric, Gavin, and Victoria, and Joe is specifically mad at Eric, Gavin, Victoria, Julie, Julia, and Ron (Chris is on the jury with Reem and the other target of her ire, Keith, quit, while the other target of Aubry's ire, Wendy, also quit).

If those people end up on the jury while Reem, Joe, or Aubry make it back into the game, the "bitter jury" thing gets cancelled out because the targets of that trio's anger would either be sitting on the jury with them or voting for them to win the game based on the current scenarios of "you make it back into the game", "you go back to the Edge of Extinction and are part of the jury", or "you end your Survivor journey either after being voted out, being unable to 'hack' the Edge of Extinction, or failing to win the 're-entry' challenge".

14. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Am I the only one who thinks this Edge of Extiction plotline is just a way to save money on hotel rooms?

Timewalker likes this.
  15. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did not see that elimination coming. Glad to see that we are going to get 6 weeks of one tribe slowly eliminate the other

16. JirinPanthosa

This season is getting increasingly interesting. Lots of dynamics going on now. Between the split of the original Lesu and Julia/Gavin/Victoria splitting with Ron/Julie, and then Aurora. And I think I finally know everyone's name too.

Aurora may have just screwed herself in the final vote, everyone remembering how she acted when Lauren's health was in danger.

17. Timewalker

I was wondering that. One of the things I enjoy about this show is watching the jury's Ponderosa videos, but this time it seems they won't be getting any.

Will there be any more chances for jury members to get back in the game?

18. JirinPanthosa

I'm guessing they do it at 6 just like they did in the redemption island seasons.

19. Timewalker

Hey, folks, I edited the title because The Amazing Race is back (started last week right after Survivor).

This time the teams are a motley collection of Survivor contestants (yay, Rupert & Laura), Big Brother contestants (can't remember who most of these people are, other than Nicole), and past Amazing Race teams (wish I could forget the only team I remember).

So if they're going to do TAR after Survivor on Wednesdays, it just made sense to add it to this thread. Most of us watch both of them anyway, right?

(this was a mean thing to do in the month when I'm trying to finish my NaNoWriMo entry)

20. JirinPanthosa

I had no idea AR was on until my dad emailed me asking me if I was watching it. Was it advertised during Survivor? I guess I have mostly been watching it the next morning.

No idea who will win Survivor. If I had to bet I might say Ron? With Lauren and Victoria next tier, Rick and Gavin after that, then Aurora with Julie in last.

Of course who the hell knows if whoever comes back has a shot. I assume Joe will win but if there’s a puzzle David is in play. And who had the practice advantage? I forget. I have trouble seeing a returner winning but who knows?