Supernatural season four news

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dorian Thompson, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Two interesting bits of news for the Supernatural viewers here in the forum. We are few, but we're dedicated. :bolian:

First-

Katie Cassidy let go from Supernatural

So, it's not just Bela that will be leaving after all. However, this time it's due to budget cuts. Phooey. :scream: I thought Ruby was a great addition as a character.

Second-

In a more positive piece of news, we're still not guaranteed a fifth season, but Warner Bros. television seems pretty happy with Eric Kripke even if the CW suits ignore him in favor of Gossip Girl and more Gossip Girl. He just inked a two year deal with them. Given the fact that Warner produces Supernatural, that doesn't hurt SPN's chances of a fifth season renewal. A CW collapse may, but this won't.

Kripke signs deal with Warner Bros. TV

2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I just got the first season of this show on DVD and am enjoying it (I considered starting a thread about my first time experiences a la the B5 and XFiles ones but I don't know if there are enough people into it). I'm happy to see that it looks good for a fifth season.

3. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

The prequel idea sounds interesting... I hope something comes of it, whether it's a one off episode, or a full blown series I don't really care, but it'd be cool to see.

4. Dorian Thompson

Welcome to the fold, sidious. :) During the season, I always start a thread here in sci-fi/fantasy for the new episode each week. Feel free to start a thread any time. I think you'll be pleased with how the show evolves. :bolian: Dean and Sam aren't like Clark from Smallville. They actually change and grow, and they're affected by their experiences.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oooh, an "Old West" supernaturally based show could be loads of fun and something that hasn't been overdone either.

Dare we hope for Deadwood with vampires? No? They don't have to swear quite so much (though I could think of some funny variations on Deadwood's favorite swear-word).

6. Dorian Thompson

Hey, with Kripke getting the production deal with Warners, we might get it, Temis. A western with vampires sounds choice to me. :evil:

7. Bob The Skutter

The closest things I can think of with similar premises are From Dusk Til Dawn 3, and while not vampires, Tremors 4 was a western.

8. Temis the Vorta

I was trying to think of TV shows in this vein (never too soon to start the bad puns).

9. Bob The Skutter

I can't think of any. I mean the only genre western I can think of is Firefly.

10. sidious618

Thanks, you actually suggested the show to me a few months ago. I can't bloody stand Smallville and I was very hesitant to get into this series but I'm enjoying it so far. Most of the shows on the CW are terrible. A few of the standalones are "meh" but others are good. I understand that the show gets even better in season two.

Does anyone have a list of the mytharc eps, by the way? I'm just curious so I know when they're coming up.

11. Temis the Vorta

Never heard of Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Wild, Wild West? :eek: Or Little House on the Prairie (good candidate for re-imagining as horror :D).

Firefly was sci fi/metaphorical-Western, but this would be horror/real-world Western. I actually think it's a better idea than Firefly, which always struck me as strained in attempting to carry off the metaphor but historically based supernatural horror sounds fun. The closest thing I can think of from TV is Dark Shadows.

12. sidious618

How about Westworld? :p

13. Temis the Vorta

Was that a TV show? Yeah, that rings a bell. That's going back a ways...

But still not really supernatural horror.

14. sidious618

Oh, no, it was a movie. My bad.

15. Bob The Skutter

Gunsmoke, Bonanza and Little House on the Prairie have SF/F elements? I never watched any of them, so eh...

16. Temis the Vorta

I thought you meant "Western" genre.

And Wild, Wild West did verge on steampunkish sci fi, come to think of it. I thought of Firefly, but that seems pretty far afield from the Western/horror idea, being sci fi with mere Western window-dressing elements. Dark Shadows is the closest to the concept of historical horror and even then it's a distinctly different era.

I could have sworn someone took a crack at a Westworld TV show. Maybe it was one of those pilots that never got picked up.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The only thing I hate about an Old West Supernatural is now the Western Horror setting I've been working on-and-off on for the last year or so is going to look like a copycat. :scream:

Oh well. :p

18. Dorian Thompson

In season two

Episode 1--In My Time of Dying
    Episode 5--Simon Said
    Episode 9-Croatoan
    Episode 10--Hunted
    Episode 11--Playthings
    Episode 13--Houses of the Holy
    Episode 21--All Hell Breaks Loose part I
    Episode 22--All Hell Breaks Loose part II

These are your episodes dealing with the mytharc.

19. Temis the Vorta

Well that just goes to show what a good idea you have. :D What's it about anyway? I always associate the Western/horror combo with Ambrose Bierce and stories like The Damned Thing. Using Native American beliefs for supernatural elements also seems promising.

20. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Westworld was a movie, but there was a series that was a continuation of the film, called Beyond Westworld. But it was set in the current day.