Spoilers Supergirl - Season 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

[​IMG]

Promotion is ramping up for the new Supergirl TV series, so here's your new spot to discuss the upcoming season. The first episode has been screened, so for some, the first new episode will be on November 2nd. For those who haven't seen the pilot, the show premieres on October 26th. What do we know so far? It was developed by Greg Berlanti, the same guy who brought us Arrow, The Flash and Vixen but whether or not it shares the same universe remains to be seen. Berlanti is open to the idea, but CBS? Not so much. In the meantime, expect to see some other established DC heroes and villains along with Dean Cain and Helen Slater in recurring roles. Below is the CBS press release…

"SUPERGIRL is an action-adventure drama based on the DC Comics character Kara Zor-El, Superman’s (Kal-El) cousin who, after 12 years of keeping her powers a secret on Earth, decides to finally embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.

Twelve-year-old Kara escaped the doomed planet Krypton with her parents' help at the same time as the infant Kal-El. Protected and raised on Earth by her foster family, the Danvers [Dean Cain & Helen Slater], Kara grew up in the shadow of her foster sister, Alex, and learned to conceal the phenomenal powers she shares with her famous cousin in order to keep her identity a secret. Years later, at 24, Kara lives in National City assisting media mogul and fierce taskmaster Cat Grant. She works alongside her friend and IT technician Winn Schott and famous photographer James Olsen, who Grant just hired away from the Daily Planet to serve as her new art director. However, Kara’s days of keeping her talents a secret are over when Hank Henshaw, head of a super-secret agency where her sister also works, enlists her to help them protect the citizens of National City from sinister threats. Though Kara will need to find a way to manage her newfound empowerment with her very human relationships, her heart soars as she takes to the skies as Supergirl to fight crime.

The Supergirl series premiere airs Monday, October 26 at 8:30 PM. The series will then move to its regular Monday 8 PM slot the following week, November 2."

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  2. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

I'm disappointed too because it seems to have hurt the potential for a shared universe and crossovers. Plus, there's the higher risk of a shorter run and cancellation. On the other hand, we might not have gotten Legends of Tomorrow.

And here are some clips with the cast…

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  3. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if Supergirl doesn't do CBS numbers could The CW get a crack at it?

ETA: For cost it could be limited like Legends.

4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

As good as tonight's Flash premiere was on its own, it was made even better by the Supergirl TV spot that aired during its broadcast (fulfilling Nina Tassler's promise that we would be seeing promotional crossover between CBS and The CW with regards to Supergirl, Arrow, and Flash).

With as much anticipation as there is for this show and the amount of promotional effort CBS is putting into it, I feel extremely confident that it's not only going to do gangbusters when it premieres on the 26th, but also consistently do well week-to-week.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

As I've pointed out before, it does seem to be in a different universe, but The Flash is just beginning a seasonal arc about parallel universes, so there's still crossover potential.

There I have to agree. CBS has not shown a lot of science fiction shows over the past decade or two. It's aired proportionately fewer genre shows over its history than any other commercial broadcast network. And just in general, the bar for ratings success is much higher on CBS than on The CW. Not to mention the biases that a lot of people in the industry still have about female action leads.

But if anyone can pull this off, Berlanti and his people can.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if it's true Arrow might be ending this season or next, I could easily see CW picking up Supergirl as a replacement if it got cancelled by CBS. But right now, with them already airing three expensive superhero shows in Arrow, Flash and Legends, I don't really see CW being able to (or wanting to) fit it in.

Although really, I'm not too worried about Supergirl's chances on CBS. The reviews and buzz have all been really good, and with the heavier female focus it appears like it'll have a much broader appeal than most superhero series tend to have.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Could CBS work out a detail like NBC did with Constantine and Arrow?

8. Christopher

Did NBC have anything to do with that? Like all DC shows since the early '90s, Constantine was produced and owned by Warner Bros. Television, not NBC Universal. Once NBC cancelled the show, the copyright owners were free to take it elsewhere, as has been done in the past with previous cancelled-and-revived shows.

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Does anyone know if they've made any changes to the pilot since it was released into the wild a few months ago?

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well that's why we have to watch, for a 5th time.

For all we know they've added or recast a full human being/character since the pilot was leaked.

Did you ever see the original unaired pilot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

There's a since discarded character in there, who in their the bitchiness, fandom refers to as Fat-Willow.

Oh look!

https://twitter.com/fatwillow

Sadly no tweets.

Fat Willow is shy.

11. davejames

They had another screening at NYCC, but I couldn't find any comments afterwards saying there had been any changes. If there were any, I'm guessing they were very minor.

12. Guy Gardener

People who can afford to go to conventions (when was the last time you spent 8 grand on a weekend without getting laid? (I'm mostly thinking of a honeymoon in Hawaii, not prostitution.)), don't half ass it with dinky nodgoodnik piracy?

13. Savage Dragon

I went to NYCC but didn't try to go to any of the special events.

14. Guy Gardener

Did you spend more than 8k?

15. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope they make things vague enough that Supergirl COULD be in a shared universe...I think that will depend on ratings & buzz.

My 4 year old girl's favorite superhero is SUpergirl, so our family is really looking forward to it!

16. Guy Gardener

It's impossible.

Kara has always arrived to be greeted by an adult Superman.

Being late is her story.

She's supposed to look after her baby cousin, who is already now a man and beyond any help she might know how to give(Whiich is a lie. She's an alien, who might as well be from a thousand years in the future, and he's a monkey raised by monkeys. From her perspective Kal-El's situation isn't too different from Tarzan being raised by apes. Do you let him stay a monkey ####ing dung flinger, or teach this #### to be civilized? Unfortunately, in almost every Supergirl Lore she also instantly goes native as well.)

The only way a crossover is possible, since there is no Superman in the Arrowverse, is if Supergirl is happening at least 15 years into the future ahead of the Flash/Arrow's present... Unless she timetravels back 15 years to meet Barry and Oliver as the 20somethings we know them as?

17. davejames

I think it might be cool to see Batgirl on the show at some point. I used to love the old animated episodes when Supergirl and Batgirl would hang out together, and get into all kinds of trouble.

And just for the heck of it, maybe throw in Stargirl and Aquagirl too. :)

18. Savage Dragon

No, I live here. I think I spent around $200.

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

20. Christopher

Odd that they're making Non the villain instead of Zod. Did Non even exist in the comics, or was he created for the movie?

I can see the pun episode titles now. "Non Sequitur," "Non Entity," "Non Sense."