Sulu (John Cho) Kelvinverse series?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by ALF, Aug 25, 2018.

?

Sulu/John Cho Kelvinverse film(s) - yes or no?

1. Hells to the yeah

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Noes to the nope

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you down with this?
    It's an emergent possibility as the days between Chris & Chris news goes by. We'd been discussing the lack of a 1990s-era Takei-led Sulu series after The Undiscovered Country in a thread a few months back.

Were the Kelvinverse Trek 4 Time Travel Kirk's Dad plan to fall through and lose both of those actors to money, how enthusiastic would you be to [check any that apply]:
    • See such a thing, a series of films led by John Cho in the captain's chair
    • See what the Excelsior class in the Kelvinverse would look like
    • See what stories they might come up with
    • See the continuing adventures of the remaining cast
    Note: I realize this concept has been touched on elsewhere - in particular, a few posts in
    If the Pine/Hemsworth thing doesn't happen what should they go for?
    If this topic isn't allowed here, please remove it. I'm hoping to foster a discussion specifically about a Cho-led Captain Sulu series because I think the idea has promise and a real possibility of happening.

Of course there are arguments against: it's fanwanky, it's unoriginal, etc. I would submit that it's worthy of exploration of at least one film.

Additionally, I'd like to see what Hikaru Sulu would do in command after so many years of serving under Kirk. What would influence Sulu's command style and performance? How would he do things differently - what Kirkisms would Sulu pick up on?

2. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

I'd prefer a tv series about Sulu starring Cho rather than Sulu movies. I would watch a Sulu show set in the Kelvin timeline for sure.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I personally would enjoy such a film quite a bit. I think that Sulu in the Kelvin Universe would be a fun character to explore, and it would be interesting to see him mature as a captain.

ALF, saddestmoon and Shaka Zulu like this.
  4. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm okay with either a Sulu series of films or a series. If they can't get Pine back for Star Trek 4, I would be okay with either Spock, Sulu, or Uhura in the captain's chair.

I do think it would be harder to sustain a Sulu (perhaps Excelsior) film series though. But an Excelsior All Access series for example might be pretty cool. It could be a neat way to continue the Kelvin timeline without continuing it as a movie franchise, which is getting diminishing returns. And it would be cool if George Takei was also involved, perhaps playing Sulu's dad or granddad.

Ever since I heard about a potential Excelsior/Sulu series years ago, I've liked the idea. I wish the powers that be had jumped on it when the remaining TOS cast was younger, in the 90s, and perhaps did a straight to video set of movies or something. Alas, I still think the Excelsior concept has some juice, even with the Kelvin cast. Though I can't see many of them actually participating except for Cho. Though it would be great to get some cameos.

ALF likes this.
  5. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

John Cho as Sulu as the Captain of the Kelvin-verse Excelsior. Kal Penn as his first officer, and Neil Patrick Harris as the Ship's Physician. Their relatively ultra-large-and-powerful ship gets accidentally transported to the Prime Universe, can't get home, and they end up becoming a huge disruptive influence on the Prime universe in a variety of hilarious and unexpected ways. Not sure what we should call the series, but we can nickname it "Harold and Kumar Go To The Prime". :D

DarKush, ALF and saddestmoon like this.
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sulu did get all the best lines.

"If you test me, you will fail."

"You have no idea who we are... But you'll soon find out."

ALF, Syd Shanshala and saddestmoon like this.
  7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

If they did so a Sulu show, I'd hope they would recast the part.

8. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn’t mind seeing a red-hulled Excelsior - as per STID.

It screams Kelvinverse!

Perhaps the Excelsior is a regular fed ship for the first movie, and is refitted / updated for a second movie, having transwarp capabilities added in, etc...

Either way: Cho as Sulu or we riot! ;)

ALF likes this.
  9. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Star Trek:(Kelvin-verse) Excelsior :beer:

ALF likes this.
  10. Bad Robot

Bad Robot Commander Red Shirt

Movie or series (Paramount or CBS)?

The Kelvinverse is still mostly a separate thing, so I don't know if they should cast John Cho in a series.

Really, the time to do this was in the early '90s and it didn't happen. If it did, probably the Berman team would have produced it... and it would have been essentially VOY. In fact it most likely would've been shot in place of VOY.

Now a movie I could see. Paramount's going to have to do "something" to retain their film rights after the Kelvin movies wind down (which they pretty much are). But I think it would be a one-off, like the Tarantino movie (which is the one thing I'm REALLY hoping we still get from Paramount). And it would still need a catch.

What you do is get George Takei to cameo in it, or perhaps even help produce. Takei's a Facebook celebrity; people follow him who don't even necessarily care for ST. In fact I think he'd be a better draw than Shatner (for whom I've always felt there was frankly no place in the bigger budget Kelvin films).

Get Takei to cameo, and I think you could make a single John Cho/Excelsior movie from Paramount. With or without the JJ Abrams team.

ALF likes this.
  11. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would also prefer this as a tv show, but would accept a movie series. Bonus points if Jaylah is on the crew.

ALF likes this.
  12. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

A Sulu movie would do worst than the "Solo" movie and Solo is a more beloved character. Granted it might be okay in terms of quality but it would basically be trying to build a big movie of a niche character. Tv series or mini-series would work best. The fact that we never got anything like this with the real Sulu though kind of says it all and Takei wanted it badly I think.
    Me if you want to go a little more different I would go with a Spock/Uhura movie with the actors from the Kelvin UNiverse. Don't even make a movie set mostly on a spaceship. Just do some future adventure story set on a alien planet with those two characters. Give it a modest budget and use it as holdover movie until the Tarantino movie comes in and changes Trek, forever.

Jason

13. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I'd go for it except for the fact I know they'd greenlight it only so they could make it less about adventure and more about Sulu being a gay lead character...when Sulu was never supposed to be gay in the first place.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

As I recall, that subject was covered — VERY thoroughly and at great length — in the thread two years ago, and your contribution thereto was not trivial. How about let's NOT revisit in the here and now the vast volume of butthurt which was on display back then? I honestly can't see any good coming of it.

Put away your soapbox, please.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

And Dr Smith wasn't a woman in the original Lost in Space. What's your point?

16. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah yes that's interesting, too. You're making me wish the survey question was instead, "would you prefer a Sulu film series or a Sulu tv series." I want the Kelvinverse films to continue but... there is something to be said for Trek as weekly episodes, too.

I agree that it would be harder to sustain; however whatever results will be completely new. As much as I enjoy and love the Kelvinverse films, they are still using the same dynamic that TOS created.

Yes, it's remarkable that in what few lines he had, managed to make them some of the most memorable!

Any suggestions as to what actor you would prefer to see play the role of Hikaru Sulu? I would only see this happening if they end up doing a Sulu series set in its own universe aside from the Kelvinverse.

So I went looking for this red hulled Excelsior - had not noticed it in the film. Well, I found this thread in the most unlikely of places...
    https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/the-red-federation-ship-in-into-darkness.243313/

Oh man, it's the smallest one! I hope this isn't too canon. The Excelsior should be long and delicate but strong... like the wood shavings the word supposedly has meaning for.

Oh, I hope any next Kelvinverse film includes Jaylah. It would be so great to she her in a bit more action... great example of why they shouldn't reboot these films (.....again). There is so much potential with her joining either the crew of the Enterprise or the Excelsior.

How are you so certain of that? There is already a modest built-in demand/fan base for a Sulu series and no one asked for a Han Solo film... although... Sulu and Solo are ridiculously similar pheonetically!

I guess they won't be naming it, Sulu: A Star Trek Story. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    saddestmoon likes this.
  17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Drop it, please. Now.

I said — in the post immediately preceding yours, no less — that we do not need to bring that whole ugly mess back to life again, and I meant it.

18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In an attempt to keep this topic on topic AND going, because I think it a nice one....

I did vote yes, but not for a movie series. I'd rather go for tv. I loved the Sulu we got in the novels, a real renaissance man. Many passions, intelligent, a great friend, a good leader. Christopher Bennett especially made him work well in both Ex Machina and Forgotten History. And DRGIII also gave him an interesting twist in one of his novels. He's a much deeper character than we got to see in the novels.

And John Cho's version works well with that too, from what we've seen sofar. An Excelsior tv show, with Sulu exploring the unknowns could really do well I feel.

19. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Cho is up for it, a series would be cool. Seems unlikely many of the Kelvin actors would stoop to TV wages but the self- confessed fans of Trek might be willing to do guest shots if scheduling permits.

Still, on a new ship, they would be free to introduce new characters, or base them on the crew as seen in STVI and Flashback.

20. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like Cho and think he would make a good a captain.

I would prefer a new character as opposed to Sulu though.

Qonundrum likes this.