STNG: Netflix vs HuluPlus

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, Mar 13, 2017.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I've only just noticed this as I sporadically watch the Trek shows these days, but is Hulu's compression much less dramatic in scale than Netflix? The picture rivals my blurays for sharpness, quality, clarity. I haven't heard any announcement about minimizing compression or new algorithms in reference to Hulu. It's convenient to stream for me instead of watch discs much of the time and I'm thinking Hulu is the go-to provider now.

RAMA

2. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    I've tried several times to watch series or assorted features on Hulu, and I detest the website's default to show ads during programming, even though it's a paid subscription for the service. If I'm paying to stream content, I don't want ads, and I don't want to be conned into a premium level that costs extra to be rid of ads. The lack of obvious compression would not entice me back to Hulu, I'll just stick with the blurays instead, or use Netflix when I'm on-the-go.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I pay extra and have no in-show ads, though for certain Hulu originals and network shows, they have to show ads at the start and end, and these are fairly unobtrusive. If the picture is this much better, than I would have no problems with it.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Besides the ads, Netflix is much better at storing where you left off in an episode, and I've had lots of quality problems on Hulu when I try to expand to fullscreen. For something on both services, Netflix is just the better option.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

So I discovered that Hulu only has 2 seasons of STNG in HD, the rest SD...

RAMA

6. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't looked at Hulu in a long time. But Netflix keeps track of where I am in a show from my desktop to laptop to iPad to Roku. If Hulu can't do that I'm not interested.

7. Six of Twelve

Six of Twelve Captain Captain

I prefer Netflix because it's easier to navigate than Hulu. Fewer steps to get to the episodes.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I was curious about that. I watched "Data's Day" last night and it looked like ass.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Very annoying.

But did you notice a quality difference in the first 2 seasons with Netflix,?

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

"Data's Day" is the only one I've watched on Hulu thus far. I'll have to try one of the episodes from the first couple seasons in the next day or two.

11. Dwayne Milius

Dwayne Milius Ensign Red Shirt

Watching ST on Netflix is SO MUCH convenient than amazon or hulu. Easy to navigate, play, playback and well, no add

Six of Twelve likes this.
  12. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

God, that Hulu interface is hell. I went to check out a SD version of a season 3 episode, and it was so difficult just to control the fast forward to land on a particular scene. Meanwhile, Netflix offers you multiple ways to move around within an episode with great control and precision.

Netflix's interface is so far ahead of every other streaming service -- it's fascinating to me that Hulu, Amazon, or HBO can't even get close. You would think one of these enormous companies would have the resources to get their own software at (or even near) Netflix level.

(It occurs to me this also opens up exciting new avenues for a certain breed of Trek fan in the Discovery forum. Commence complaining about how awful the CBS All Access software will be! ;))

13. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

...but which one would win in a cage-match fight??

Two Streaming Services Enter. One Streaming Service leaves.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I have no problems with this on the HuluPlus app on my LG TV. It runs smoothly and quickly and ad-free. My only qualm is that they only have the first 2 seasons in HD, so obviously I had to switch back to Netflix for that.

I have yet to try the All Access app..

RAMA